Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM

22 posts, read 45,686 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at house plans on line to build on our lot in MI.. Any advise on how to pick a builder will be appreciated. Some research online suggested looking for a large company that builds on your lot. Materials would be at a lower cost due to volume.
My gut reaction was to look for a local builder that is familiar and comfortable with the codes etc... of MI. We are on a budget and want a builder that can multi task with a floor plan we select from stock if changes need to be made.. Hopefully we can find an honest builder that won't take advantage of our inexperience in building as a custom home. We have experience in buying in a new home and lot package but I know this will be different. Thank-you for any tips in choosing and or any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,725,599 times
Some advice from someone who WAS taken advantage of.....even though we thought we had done our due diligence we still got stung. Our original choice had no dings from the licensing board, no complaints with the BBB, a vote of confidence with the bank and no issues with vendors when we got started. Don't know what happened, but the bottom fell out.
Our advice would be to check all these things, plus ask potential neighbors whose homes you admire who built for them, check Angie's List- corny and not always reliable but can be helpful in determining a pattern of dissatisfaction; Talk to local building inspectors and ask whose work is consistently above par, and look at the professional builders' organizations for ratings and membership. Then, see whose name(s) come up more than a time or two in the positive column and start there. Also, when you check the licensing agency, be sure to check not only Horry county but surrounding ones like Georgetown as well....turns out that somehow builders can move from county to county leaving a wake of trouble so it may look clean as a whistle in one county and really dirty in another. We know from experience that happens.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,160,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlooking View Post
We have been looking at house plans on line to build on our lot in MI.. Any advise on how to pick a builder will be appreciated. Some research online suggested looking for a large company that builds on your lot. Materials would be at a lower cost due to volume.
My gut reaction was to look for a local builder that is familiar and comfortable with the codes etc... of MI. We are on a budget and want a builder that can multi task with a floor plan we select from stock if changes need to be made.. Hopefully we can find an honest builder that won't take advantage of our inexperience in building as a custom home. We have experience in buying in a new home and lot package but I know this will be different. Thank-you for any tips in choosing and or any recommendations.
www.HunterBrown.com

Hunter Brown has built some of the prettiest homes in Murrells Inlet. I've known him for 25 years, know his kids and his wife Christy. You cannot go wrong with Hunter. Love, love, love him! Smart, honest, loyal.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM

Thank-you Busydesk and BH. I am sorry you went through a bad experience BD. You did all the right things too. I will follow up on your lists and do my homework. Thanks!
Blue H, thank-you. Funny thing is Hunter is the first builder I spoke with! Really the only one pertaining to this project. I found him to be really friendly and already gave me some input on building. He is in that local category of small builder. We haven't talked about price, I hope he cdan be competitive. Good to see he has a good reputation. I did like that he was from the area and quite familiar. Thanks again BH.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Thank-you Busydesk and BH. I am sorry you went through a bad experience BD. You did all the right things too. I will follow up on your lists and do my homework. Thanks!
Blue H, thank-you. Funny thing is Hunter is the first builder I spoke with! Really the only one pertaining to this project. I found him to be really friendly and already gave me some input on building. He is in that local category of small builder. We haven't talked about price, I hope he cdan be competitive. Good to see he has a good reputation. I did like that he was from the area and quite familiar. Thanks again BH.
Have him take you around and show you some of the homes he has done! Stunning! Glad you were able to speak with him, he is such a nice guy! Good luck!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Have him take you around and show you some of the homes he has done! Stunning! Glad you were able to speak with him, he is such a nice guy! Good luck!
Good idea to see his work. I did see on his website some of his ideas and floorplans. I have been trying to get back to MI this week but Mother Nature is not cooperating.

I was sold on MI the first day I visited. Don't you think Its very different then the surrounding towns? I hope we didn't jump the gun not exploring more of Pawleys..I liked it there too but the Marsh walk area sold me on Murrells.

Thanks BH!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I was sold on MI the first day I visited. Don't you think Its very different then the surrounding towns? I hope we didn't jump the gun not exploring more of Pawleys..I liked it there too but the Marsh walk area sold me on Murrells.

Thanks BH!
I love Murrells Inlet. Lived on Garden City Beach for 12 years then lived in the inlet for a couple more. I have tons of friends that live in Mt. Gilead and on the creek. My family has had a creekfront house since before I was born, most of the restauranteurs on the Marshwalk I grew up with with the exception of Divine Fish House and Wahoos because Jack Divine no longer owns them. Bubba was en employee of my husband's for years.

Murrells Inlet is a really small town and I encourage you to become involved. Belin Church has a wonderful congregation.

I'm a marathon runner for my long runs I'd run from my house in Garden City to the marina, back, up Atlantic Avenue, to the end of the inlet and back. The inlet is so amazing when the sun is coming up.

Get a boat. Nothing prettier than seeing the creek from the water.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions for you. Don't miss the 4th of July Boat Parade.

I absolutely love Pawleys Island but beware, it is Peyton Place. Absolutely go to Pawleys Island Tavern.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM

285 posts, read 641,289 times
If you want another price quote both Carrell Homes and Nations Homes are highly reputable. Their web sites are below:

Carrell Group New Home Construction & Design

Myrtle Beach Custom Homes | Myrtle Beach Customer Builder

Old 02-14-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
I know Jeff Skelley really well and he is a great builder. He's been building homes on the Grand Strand for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area