Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,764 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything (particularly positive) about Georgetown, SC. My husband wants to move there from Wilmington, NC and I'm not excitedl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,557,381 times
To be fair, I have not spend any time there. Just driven around and through. The smell from the paper mill would turn me off to living there. However others have said you get use to it. I know where we have a townhouse in Murrells Inlet, you occasionally experience the smell in the morning when the wind is from the south. Gives me an instant headache.

My superficial take on the town is that it is an old blue collar city..... Not my cup of tea.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebrhys View Post
Can anyone tell me anything (particularly positive) about Georgetown, SC. My husband wants to move there from Wilmington, NC and I'm not excitedl
It is an absolutely stunning little historic town. I would live there in a heartbeat.

tmozer, the smell is from the paper mill way out of town and just like Murrells Inlet, there are only a couple times a year you can smell it.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM

161 posts, read 330,914 times
Georgetown is a quaint old town - but be aware , very much the old boys network down there

Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It is an absolutely stunning little historic town. I would live there in a heartbeat.

tmozer, the smell is from the paper mill way out of town and just like Murrells Inlet, there are only a couple times a year you can smell it.

Beg to differ...... every time I we drive through (on our way to FL), the odor inundates our vehicle. Unless they save it until we are on the road.........

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Beg to differ...... every time I we drive through (on our way to FL), the odor inundates our vehicle. Unless they save it until we are on the road.........
You must be getting lucky. I lived in Murrells Inlet for twelve years and spent a lot of time in Georgetown and Pawleys and rarely smelled the paper mill. The people in Georgetown do not live with that smell 24/7.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 AM

437 posts, read 548,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KavH View Post
Georgetown is a quaint old town - but be aware , very much the old boys network down there
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is meant by "old boys network". How would it affect me as someone moving to a diff state but being the type that would want to immerce myself in that area?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,791,178 times
Maybe tell us why he wants to move there and why move from Wilmington that he might be looking for in Georgetown? I've been there many times because they have a small downtown area to walk around, eat lunch but nothing fantastic. It's more a stop on the way to Charleston kind of thing. Yes, it does smell but I guess there is a difference of opinion on here. I've smelled it going that way many times but not every time. Personally I wouldn't want to live some place with that smell if I had an option not to. Here is another thread that might be helpful. https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...-possible.html

Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,327,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is meant by "old boys network". How would it affect me as someone moving to a diff state but being the type that would want to immerce myself in that area?
I'm guessing that it means that Georgetown is the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and the locals look out for the locals. You read comments here on C-D from time to time about how some people in some places in the South are not especially welcoming to yankees and the changes that they seem to bring with them, maybe that's what he meant.

My main concern would be the fact that Georgetown seems to have a pretty high crime index for a town its size.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:14 PM

I'm not an expert on Georgetown, but from what I gather it is an old city with some historical substance and limited tourist interest, but it is mostly a blue-collar working man's town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area