Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 AM

21 posts, read 42,192 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for retirement living for about 8-9 months out of the year. I need a short drive to the beach (under an hour). Need affordability, nothing large....downsizing not upsizing. Would like a nice quiet, safe, pet friendly neighborhood.
We are still at the age that we don't need a Walmart within 3 blocks of our home! We consider a 30 min drive to the mall to be a quick trip.
Will would like to leave during the hot/tourist months so may have a second home somewhere, if we find something affordable in SC.
I will be spending March in Myrtle Beach and will be exploring some of the smaller inland towns. Georgetown and Conway are two thoughts. Can I get some idea's on the best side of towns to check and give me some experiences you've had in these areas. I would like to watch on line for houses throughout the winter but need to know about neighborhoods etc.
I just don't know where to start......so confused !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
We love Georgetown and have discussed moving down there on several occasions but haven't done it. It feels like a real town, far different than the tourist tinseltown places that make up most of the Myrtle Beach area. Front Street has a very comfortable small-town main street atmosphere, at least until September's devastating fire that destroyed 7 mid-1800's buildings. Right now, the town is still in shock, and it will take awhile to recover that feel. Still, it's not for everybody. It has a weak economy, reflected in the limited shopping opportunites available. There's a Walmart, but the closest thing most ladies would think resembles a real mall is probably 45 minutes away. Their grocery stores don't have a lot to offer in the way of extras, with nicer groceries about 20 minutes away in Pawleys Island. Much of the economy is built around a paper mill and a steel mill. Some folks are seriously turned off by the paper mill aroma, others hardly notice it.

Georgetown is an old town, and there are not many planned developments. The historic area is in transition. Some restored homes are in the $1MM range, while a few blocks away there are some pretty ramshackle places. Wedgefield Plantation is a nice development a little north of town, but they were having some HOA issues regarding special assessments to dredge a canal that only served some homeowners. Not sure how that shook out. I noticed there are quite a few homes for sale in there. Belle Isle is an older development a little South of town. It's been quite awhile since I've driven thru it, but it may be worth a quick look. There are new some condos along Front Street, but I don't have any idea on pricing or monthly fees.

IMO, Georgetown is worth consideration but you should have a good RE agent you trust to guide you thru the good/bad options. If you plan to avoid the summer months, I wouldn't rule out looking at places closer to the beach, such as Surfside, Garden City and Murrells Inlet. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Default PawleysDude

Thank you for your helpful information ! As you said, it is definitely going to require a good look around and then a RE agent for help. I would love to be closer to the beach, my concern there is the cost of flood insurance. Obviously, you must live in the Pawley area. I have been down as far as the hammock shops. What are your feelings about the area, since you are thinking of moving farther in?
Hoping to make a quick run to the area (MB) in early December to do some quick area looking. Make sure the weather stays great for me !!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
With all the rivers and inlets, flood insurance is a legitimate concern anywhere near the coast, not just in beachfront communities. As sea levels continue to rise and pay-outs from nationwide flood disasters drain the surplus resources, the increasing cost of insurance will impact all of us. Many areas of Georgetown are prone to flooding from heavy rains. Unfortunately, flood plain maps are of little value, and as we are concreting most of the coast, run-off and drainage issues add to the problem. Our last catastrophic floods were caused by Hurricane Floyd in the late 1990's. Some of the heaviest damage was in the vicinity of Conway SC and Greenville NC, both well away from the coast. Oceanfront flooding from this storm was minimal. The potential for floods is not a deal-breaker for most folks, but IMO it should be a factor in any prudent planning for a move to this area.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 AM

10 posts, read 24,016 times
Donnab22 - While Georgetown is a beautiful town, with what you've described you're looking for I think you should really consider Pawleys Island. There are a lot more quiet, safe, pet-friendly communities in Pawleys than in Georgetown, IMO. Communities like Pawleys Pavilion, Salt Marsh Cove, Mingo, Da Gullah, are all great choices a bike ride or golf cart ride from the beach. I would especially check out Litchfield - it's where I live and my wife and I love it there. It's quiet, unique, and free of the commercialization of places like Myrtle Beach and Conway.

Pawleys is only 15 minutes from the nearest Walmart and a little less than half an hour from Coastal Grand, the largest mall in the area. If you like Georgetown for the restaurants and the small town walkability, it's only 10-15 min south.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Default WyattJB

Thank you so much for the name of communities to start researching. Can't wait to start checking these areas out on line. My husband works in Litchfield, MI.....maybe that's a sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area