Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM

185 posts, read 567,494 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are a young couple (early 20's) looking to get out of Pennsylvania! We both want to move and South Carolina is a state that we can both agree on. The problem is that we can't decide between Charleston and Myrtle Beach.

I'll try to give you some our top priorities and maybe that will help!

1. There needs to be plenty to do but won't cost us a fortune to be apart of the activities. This is a big one since where we currently live there is very little to do and we can't take it any more!

2. Cost of living has to be reasonable. We want to purchase a home as soon as we can but will rent for a while. I know that "reasonable" is a vague term but until I know what kind of money we would be making I really can't give any specific numbers. Just keep in mind that we're still young and just trying to get started.

3. We have to be near the beach. We can't stand being landlocked any more. We both love the ocean and need to have it near by.

4. Saftey. This is an obvious one but I just thought I would mention it.

I'm sure there's more but for now those are the big ones!

I should also give a little bit of info about us. My fiance is currently working in a dealership but is hoping to get into building custom cars soon. I still haven't decided what I'm doing. I either want to be an aesthetician or a wedding planner, I just can't decide. Advice on any of those careers based on either location would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to any one who offers their advice. We really need to make a decision soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
My personal choice as a 20-something is Charleston.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Any specific reasons as to why you prefer Charleston?

Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,202 times
Charleston! College town, lots to do...Different culture.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Charleston has more of a sense of place. Myrtle Beach is more of a tourist town. Most everything there could be found many other places. Nothing really special. (Sorry MB'ers! Just my 2 cents!) I grew up in SC and visit all the time. I always make a trip to Charleston. Beautiful town. Lots to do. I hear it can get a little stale to some after a few years, but what place can't?

Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM

What about Charleston's tourists? Are there many of them? Is there a lot of traffic to be concerned with? What are some of the pros and cons to living in Charleston? What are some of the activities available to a young couple?

Sorry for all of the questions, I'd just like to have as much information as possible!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:35 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Charleston is just a much more well-rounded city. The economy is diverse (tourism, port industry, healthcare, etc.), the jobs pay more, it offers more in terms of culture (Gibbs Museum of Art, Charleston Museum, SC Aquarium, etc.), history (too much to list), cuisine, higher education (College of Charleston, Medical University of SC, Charleston Southern University, The Citadel), recreation, and so much more. Even in terms of tourists, Charleston attracts a different type of tourist (i.e., more than just beach bums) than Myrtle Beach. Furthermore, there's still much to do in Charleston when it's not peak tourist season. Charleston just feels more like a real city in just about every respect.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,667 times
Charleston has plenty of tourists, yes...obviously more in the summer months. Traffic can be a little slow, especially with all the old narrow roads through downtown. Other than that, it's way better than Myrtle Beach. As others said, MB is overrun by tourists during summer and has no sense of 'place' like Charleston does. All I remember of MB is water parks, campgrounds, and beach stores (haven't been in a few years...and don't plan on visiting ever again. My family has a condo at Isle of Palms just outside of Charleston and it's sooo much better)

There's plenty to do in Charleston. Shopping, restaurants, music, the beach, etc. You will find plenty to do.

I live in Greenville...and I know you don't want to be landlocked but it's only a 3 hour drive to the beach and the mountains are less than 30 minutes away. The average summer temps here aren't quite as high as Charleston either, and we get a couple inches of snow every now and then, where-as charleston gets none. (ok, very very very rarely). Just something to think about...or not, haha.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,667 times
Oh yeah, Myrtle Beach has to be the Harley Davidson capital of SC. I think they have biker weekends a lot...loud and annoying.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 AM

158 posts, read 582,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Oh yeah, Myrtle Beach has to be the Harley Davidson capital of SC. I think they have biker weekends a lot...loud and annoying.
That's good that you voice your opinion. People want an honest opinion in every aspect.(good and bad).

Being young and in their twenties, being a "beach bum" or being around "lound and annoying" bikes might be just what they're looking for.

I know that if I had the chance at their age, that is what I'd like. (That is MY opinion though).

A plus about all the tourist activity is that in the non-season, it gets very quiet there. You can enjoy the area without all the "beach bums" and traffic.(Although it will be cooler out).

My wife and I have property in Forestbrook. ( Inland and between Myrtle and Surfside. Nice area. Quiet and easy to get on 17 and head to Charleston if you want. I think around an hour drive.

Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle.
Nice Mall.
Doesn't have the "City Feel" to it. Although there is a bunch of traffic in the summer.

Personally, I like being around the tourists. Some are snotty of course. But....they are all there for the same reason. (Beaches and fun!)

Charleston however.... traffic= hustle & bustle because.... "late for work", "in a hurry", etc. etc.. City life so-to-speak. Not so much relaxing and being "beach bums".
My opinion though.
Nice to visit. Just not for us.

We are actually going to live on our boat in Little River just north of Myrtle Beach. Won't have to worry about any traffic in the marinas!

That's another option for you young folks. (If you're into the beaches and boating life.) That sort of falls into the "Beach bum, tourist, and retired folks life"

We're going on 33 years of age. And... heading to the Myrtle area!

"Don't regret something you didn't do, especially if you had the chance. The road that took you there, can also lead you back."

Flip a coin. The two places aren't far from one another. You're young enough AND have time to try BOTH places!

Good luck!

And Yes, I know, this should be directed to the couple that started the thread.

Just had to opinionate on the annoying bikers and bums. Which I had to stand up for. I fit in there at one time. And thought maybe they possibly could too!

That's my $20.00 worth!

Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area