Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,890,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4b View Post
Myrtle crushes Charleston 10 times out of 10.

You can makes as much money as you want during the season and the off-season...
The question is, in what industries? Charleston has a much more diverse local economy so the job offerings are much broader than they are in Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 AM

330 posts, read 1,198,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
It's funny how when I first started this thread everyone said Charleston is the better place and now everyone is saying Myrtle Beach is.

My fiance and I have been talking about it a lot and have decided that Myrtle Beach would be more suited to our wants and needs! We'll be making a trip down towards the end of January. Any advice before we come down? What should we see and do to get a real feel for what it's like to live there? Since we will be renting when we first move, it would be really helpful if anyone knows of some nice, affordable apartments.

If you've figured out that Myrtle is best for your lifestyle and your needs then you'll be happy there! That's the hardest part I think, figuring out what your needs and wants are and finding that place that can provide it.

Charleston, or the suburbs of Charleston I should say, suited my own family perfectly. But it IS more costly to live here and my husband's job here thankfully helps us afford that.

Good luck to you with your move!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:38 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Sheena--what does your husband do for work? I want to move to Myrtle, but work is also a concern for me. I am a social worker, and though it is a broad profession it can be difficult to find long-term work if you are new to the area.
Residential Construction and nobody is hiring, it seems everyone is getting cut. Commercial Construction seems to be doing well but he doesn't have recent experience so they don't want any part of him.

I didn't have much trouble finding an accounting job, but after sitting around for 6 months watching my money dwindle and wondering what the heck I was doing there I returned to Phoenix. Now I'm wondering what I am doing here

It's actually ok to be back. I feel like I was on one long vacation in the South.

Good Luck though in whatever you decide.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 38,598 times
Default which is nicer myrlte beach or charleston.

charleston is way nicer overall. Myrtle beach is too touristy for me. There are way to many hotels and condominums being built. I go to Coastal Carolina and well i run out of things to do inbetween classes. I wish there were shops and restaurants you could walk to. The college of chaleston has a premier location because its easy to walk to shopping and local eateries nearby.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,584,645 times
You would get bored in Myrtle Beach in no time; I think you'd be much happier with the variety of things to do in the Charleston area.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM

135 posts, read 526,273 times
Okay, I'll grant that Myrtle Beach's cost of living is probably lower than Charleston's and the overall crime rate is lower. However, Myrtle Beach is a town and Charleston is a city, so this is to be expected. As a native, I'll EXCLAIM that Charleston is unlike any other city in the state, culturally, socially, etc. and I highly recommend that you take a trip and discover it for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area