Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:36 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,844,494 times

Advertisements

I see we've got another self storage complex going up on Hwy 17 in Pawleys, the perfect companion for the two Dollar General stores only a couple miles apart. It's amazing how quickly we've transformed an attractive stretch of small locally-owned shops into one continuous string of tacky strip mall businesses. Chalk up another one for progress. Congratulations, us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 07:35 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,726,312 times
Doesn't it get your goat? When I saw that sign it ruined my day.
How is it that these stupidities keep getting allowed?

Old 12-01-2013, 06:29 PM

34 posts, read 110,142 times
Agreed.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM

747 posts, read 1,686,766 times
I don't see where it's a big deal, I personally like having so many options to choose from. I love how convenient it is and I love how many locations every thing has, plus it creates jobs. I say bring on the business the more the better.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM

253 posts, read 471,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I don't see where it's a big deal, I personally like having so many options to choose from. I love how convenient it is and I love how many locations every thing has, plus it creates jobs. I say bring on the business the more the better.

(Sorry in advance for the long post)...While you certainly have the right to your opinion, your position kind of reminds me of a favorite song of mine from back-in-the-day:

Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that DDT now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man

Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

© Siquomb Publishing Company

Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
...While you certainly have the right to your opinion, your position kind of reminds me of a favorite song of mine from back-in-the-day...
+1
Amen, Darlin', amen. I always thought that Ronnie got it right...

Quote:
"I'm not tryin' to put down no big cities
But the things they write about us is just a bore
Well you can take a boy out of ol' Dixieland
But you'll never take ol' Dixie from a boy
And Lord I can't make any changes
All I can do is write 'em in a song
I can see the concrete slowly creepin'
Lord take me and mine before that comes
'Cause I can see the concrete slowly creepin'
Lord take me and mine before that comes."
~ "All I Can Do Is Write About It" Lynyrd Skynyrd

Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 PM

747 posts, read 1,686,766 times
Paradise is still paradise it just has shopping and jobs. Seeing how hard jobs are to come by around here, I few more businesses could never hurt. Myrtle Beach is still paradise, I still have my beach and palm trees and beach houses but there is lights and jobs....so what? That's one of the reasons I wanted to move here was all the business, and lights, and shopping and of course the beach. I love having so many options, it's actually overwhelming because I don't know where to go shop first. However I've been on the flip side, the boring town with nothing in it, nothing to do, crappy shopping and just a all around crappy town. So maybe that's why I like the idea of business so well, the grass isn't always greener on the non business side, believe me I know. If you don't want business or growth...head up to WV, they have no clue what growth means....granted it's cold as blue blazes lol But there aint nothing there, head out to Lincoln County the gas station is the grocery store. lol

Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM

I'm happy for you, Darlin'. Just shop your little old heart out. But, you see, there was a time - back when you were still searchin' for designer bags in WV - when this area offered the best of both worlds. For those who sought the convenience of everything they wanted just around the corner, MB was happy to oblige. On the other hand, those who didn't see anything wrong with driving a few miles to get what they need, who actually preferred quiet wooded views to one more dress boutique, tended to migrate toward a slower pace in the small-town feel of Pawleys or Murrells Inlet, or even at one time Surfside and Garden City. Instead of respecting what we had, we have allowed uncontrolled urban sprawl to create one continuous Grand Strand strip mall of commercial redundance. And this pace of urban sprawl is increasing exponentially, as more and more crowd into a fragile environment that cannot support the growth and still survive.

Paradise? I guess everything is relative...

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM

455 posts, read 674,567 times
I agree with you Pawleys. Was just down Charleston way. Mt. Pleasant is exploding. I wonder what the beaches will start looking like when both the locals and tourists descend upon them. The low country is a fragile environment and you just wonder what the outcome will be with so many building in one place. We checked it out but decided to stay here on the lake and drive 25 mins to Target instead.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 AM

460 posts, read 990,657 times
I haven't been to Pawleys Island, in years. I really would like to get back down there for a visit.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that seeing all the progress, might just ruin my childhood memories of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area