Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM

78 posts, read 136,493 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to MB this summer. We have been in contact with many property managers, rental agencies etc and it is amazing that so many do not return calls, answer questions in emails or even give you the time of day.

Do properties move that fast that a large number of them just dont care?

7 different companies I contacted and would have grabbed one of their homes after a quick plane flight to see it in person yet not one of them called back or send an email answering my questions.

2 did call back but they dont have the type of property we are looking for.

One home I would have rented the same day. I would have flown down that day, looked it over and signed the contract on the spot if it turned out to be clean, nice and the home we would want. After two phone calls and several emails I called and left a message. I will fly to MB today and rent this home today with cash in hand if you can meet with me today or even tomorrow. Not one single call back.

I called three days later and finally someone answered and said, oh yea, that property got rented this morning. What is it with these people?

Is this normal for these companies in MB?

We want something in the Carolina Forest area. Also have planned a visit soon for see Brighton Woods and Forestbrook as well.

Any tips on contacts for property rentals please send me a direct message. I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hoping to be joining all of you on the Grand Strand very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM

790 posts, read 1,626,515 times
We rented when we first moved to MB and experienced much the same with property management companies when trying to find a rental. I think their lack of response is to due the tight rental market and the problem with timing of people shopping for rentals from a distance. They cannot afford to wait for the prospective renter to take a few days to fly down when they might have someone local with cash in hand wanting to rent today....as a the saying goes, " a bird in hand is worth two in the bush."

Given that, my advice is to come down for a few days and walk into each PM office that you want to visit and see what they have. Most have many more houses than they have listed online so your choices are expanded greatly by being here. We went into one of the biggest PMs office one morning and after telling them what we were looking for, they handed us keys to a dozen houses and told us to go look at them and bring the keys back when we were done...I guess they just don't have staff to show houses to all prospective renters. Most of the houses we saw were not listed on their web site either.

Here's a list of PMs that we visited:
Home Owner Association Management | Timeshare Management & Resales | Annual Rentals | The Noble Company | Myrtle Beach South Carolina (I think they are the biggest PM in MB)
Myrtle Beach Rental Connections and Real Estate Sales
Home | Carolina Forest Rentals
Myrtle Beach Long Term Rentals - Southern Coast Vacations
Site - - Lee Peters - Search for Properties in Myrtle Beach, SC

Just MHO, I would not advise renting in Brighton Woods...I've heard some less than stellar comments from people who have lived there. When I've driven through, it's very congested and lots of teenagers...not that teens are bad...we have three kids who were teens at one time, but it does raise the likelihood of issues.

Myrtlebeachrentalconnections (above) may help you in Forestbrook as their office is located there. That's who we rented through and they're very good in person.

Best of luck. If I can be of further help, just let me know.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM

747 posts, read 1,684,803 times
I'm having the exact same problem, also having problems with apartments and lack of truth telling and crazy rules and fees.

I had an apartment picked out we had a move in date and was ready to go. They decided to send me a lease 5 days before the move in and I had the apartment set for over 2 months. The lease was crazy, and nothing but a list of fees. A 38 pg lease full of don't do this, do this and if you do/don't do this FEE. The whole thing was fees. Example of a crazy rule...can't wear a tee in the pool, if a thread of the shirt stopped up the pool you would be responsible for the bill to fix it. So when does one thread clog a pool? and how do they know if the thread is yours? Couldn't a thread easily be picked up on your foot or come off a bathing suit? Needless to say we didn't fall for that sillyness we backed out and gladly said give it to someone else a few days before the move. If someone wants to move into a money pit let em have at it but not me...rent is expensive enough without adding on craziness.

Any who to make a long story short we have been hunting for homes and we are running into the same problems. No one seems to want to help, they act as if it's beneath them to answer some questions or help you in any way. Some said they would send more photos that never came, and most never even bothered to call me back so I could get better information. I'm still baffled at the way people in SC act, I don't see any southern hospitality out of anyone. Some people have even played dumb when I asked for information on a specific address, they acted like they had no clue where that was or what it was and it was listed on the website of the rental place we called. I'm just so baffled at this behavior, I can't believe people treat others this way down there, but it's not my first bad experience with this stuff. I've been at it nearly 3 years now. I can't seem to find the perfect fit for us, just when I think I have it something comes up we just do not agree with and we have to move on to something else.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM

253 posts, read 470,810 times
I have had the same problem but in my interactions, it was not southerners with whom I was dealing.

I asked each one where they were from and I got Ohio, New Jersey, Michigan - not one from the beach area or even South Carolina. So, this southern gal doesn't think it's the southerners - we know how to behave better!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM

747 posts, read 1,684,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
I have had the same problem but in my interactions, it was not southerners with whom I was dealing.

I asked each one where they were from and I got Ohio, New Jersey, Michigan - not one from the beach area or even South Carolina. So, this southern gal doesn't think it's the southerners - we know how to behave better!
I some how don't believe that, but everyone to their own notion. When EVERYONE you meet is that way, some thing tells me there are a few southerners in that mix, but heaven forbid any one admit to that. I've been to Ohio all too many times, KY as well and I live in WV. I live on the boarder of all three currently and no one around here acts that way. The only time I've ever ran into this behavior was when I went south to try to live....kinda funny. Bless Your Heart, aint ya just LOVELY.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 PM

790 posts, read 1,626,515 times
Wow...all I can say is that I was born in WV and lived in WV the first 3rd of my life and found lots of people displaying that behavior. It's not unique to any particular part of the country.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Guess ya'll don't know how to take a bit of sarcasm

Bless your little hearts, too.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 7,829 times
I too had problems with trying to get a rental before moving here in January of this year. No one would return my calls or emails. Only thing I got was my email address and phone number added to lists of buyers. Took forever to get them to stop calling. I now average 300 spam emails a day. I moved here anyway, because I wanted to be near the ocean. I'm stuck in an apartment I HATE until the year is up. Hoping to find a HOUSE to RENT.

Last edited by Gawgee; 06-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 06-10-2013, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 7,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Guess ya'll don't know how to take a bit of sarcasm

Bless your little hearts, too.
I gotcha :P

Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawgee View Post
I gotcha :P
Thanks for the friendship! You are my first friend on here...I'm SO excited to know I didn't tick everyone off with my humor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area