Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,382 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving soon but i want to live somewhere that does not HOA so noone can tell me when i can have a fire or park my truck if the drive way is full.

Is there any place around conway that they do not exist or patrol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
Mike, Although HOAs are plentiful, you would still be able to find a place without one. You may want to to check if the town you choose has any ordinances that you can't live with, but you should be able to find none HOA options.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM

215 posts, read 544,859 times
You are right about HOA's, Mike.

Last meeting I went to, several years ago, at the Summerfield HOA meeting (Longs), we had a county COP there to keep the peace. Imagine! A COP, to keep the peace among neighbors. I sat there in shock as different groups cussed and threatened each other. I never went back. I didn't want to take a chance again, especially since they didn't have an EMS presence:-}

I sold my house not long ago to get out of there. Sadly, I'm now in the Belgrove Preserve community, (Myrtle Beach). Love our neighbors, love our house. Problem is, when I moved in I received a $50 fine for my grass not being cut. It was about 2 inches high. That was last summer. In February, I received a $50 fine for my house not being clean enough on the outside. I was going to pressure wash it this Spring (a few weeks later) but I had to get out in the cold of winter and do it to satisfy them, or another fine.

They didn't even give us any kind of warning first. They play like a COP, after a speeder. No warning, just blam.

I figure these people who run for POA positions are on some kind of power trip. They should be like servants, trying to help their neighbors keep a beautiful and friendly community. The experiences I have had, they're more like the Gestapo, jack booted thugs, after your money.

Look at the Belgrove Preserve webpage. Notice, nowhere to contact them. Notice, too, that none of the neighbor friendly webpages have even been activated (i.e. community classifieds, calendar of coming events, etc).

Same with Summerfield. No webpage, just an e-mail address. They love to remain hidden and strike without warning, then back to their caves.

I would like to hear some testimonies of great HOA's somewhere, really doing good and helping their neighbors.

Anyone?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
We are a part of three HOA's. One at Park West Murrells Inlet, one in Florida and one in NJ. All three have more similarities than differences and the three fees are close. Although there are a few "silly" rules I could do without, the majority of the rules help keep the communities safe and confortable for all residents. I am happy with the HOA oversight and the people involved in the administration of all three HOA's.......

Old 04-08-2013, 05:04 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We are a part of three HOA's. One at Park West Murrells Inlet, one in Florida and one in NJ. All three have more similarities than differences and the three fees are close. Although there are a few "silly" rules I could do without, the majority of the rules help keep the communities safe and confortable for all residents. I am happy with the HOA oversight and the people involved in the administration of all three HOA's.......
In my experience a lot more people moving here prefer this.

To the OP Mike...most of Conway is free of HOA's, especially outside city limits. There is a downtown area with no HOA's but it sounds like you are looking for a larger space. Most of Conway is rural so there are many houses for sale or rent where you can park your car/truck anywhere you want. As far as the fire, there are county rules but I'll be honest, it's so unsafe to just light up a fire around here in your yard. There is a lot of dry brush? I guess it would be called....sorry, I'm not that outdoorsy. There are many fires that get out of control, such as the one recently where over a hundred people lost their homes and pets. That being said, if you just want the freedom to do whatever you want like park on your yard and have a fire in your driveway/yard etc...then the answer is yes you can do all of that here. If you are looking in this area then also check out Loris and Longs for properties with no HOA.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 26,697 times
Conway and Loris are your best bets. The community I live in in Loris has no HOA but the lots have deed restrictions basically saying you can't have junk cars, livestock, run a commercial business, etc. The neighborhood works just fine as most of the people here are community minded and wouldn't have anything bad going on. If I don't pressure wash my house this year no one will send me a fine, but I'm going to wash it because it needs it - if you know what I mean. I have owned several properties in N. Myrtle and I wouldn't want to live there full time just because of the HOA's. In my opinion there are some good ones but most are run by retirees with nothing to do but "power trip". Good Luck -

Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!

Sorry, couldn't resist that cartoon line due to the title of thread.
Plenty of places without HOA. Personally, I prefer them. I don't need to move into a neighborhood, and a year leater have a new family move next door and park 6 broken cars in their driveway & street, yard littered with engine parts, and hanging their skivies over the front porch. But. that's just me.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,382 times
I am extremely cautious with fire, i was a boy scout for 3 years and would never but wild life in danger for a fire. i plan on having a 5 foot fire pit far away from houses and trees. Conway would be perfect since i go to HGTC and its right near 501, 544, 90 and 9 which are major roads to get where ever i need to go.

i will and certain i want to live in a rural area where i actually have a yard i can pass a ball without worrying if it'll go into my neighbors.

thank you all for the responses, they were extremely helpfull

Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM

312 posts, read 732,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
You are right about HOA's, Mike.

Last meeting I went to, several years ago, at the Summerfield HOA meeting (Longs), we had a county COP there to keep the peace. Imagine! A COP, to keep the peace among neighbors. I sat there in shock as different groups cussed and threatened each other. I never went back. I didn't want to take a chance again, especially since they didn't have an EMS presence:-}

I sold my house not long ago to get out of there. Sadly, I'm now in the Belgrove Preserve community, (Myrtle Beach). Love our neighbors, love our house. Problem is, when I moved in I received a $50 fine for my grass not being cut. It was about 2 inches high. That was last summer. In February, I received a $50 fine for my house not being clean enough on the outside. I was going to pressure wash it this Spring (a few weeks later) but I had to get out in the cold of winter and do it to satisfy them, or another fine.

They didn't even give us any kind of warning first. They play like a COP, after a speeder. No warning, just blam.

I figure these people who run for POA positions are on some kind of power trip. They should be like servants, trying to help their neighbors keep a beautiful and friendly community. The experiences I have had, they're more like the Gestapo, jack booted thugs, after your money.

Look at the Belgrove Preserve webpage. Notice, nowhere to contact them. Notice, too, that none of the neighbor friendly webpages have even been activated (i.e. community classifieds, calendar of coming events, etc).

Same with Summerfield. No webpage, just an e-mail address. They love to remain hidden and strike without warning, then back to their caves.

I would like to hear some testimonies of great HOA's somewhere, really doing good and helping their neighbors.

Anyone?
The HOA's here are just plain crazy......I am sorry but they are......in my development, what is important to the Board is the stupid little things...nit picking....but it seems that the litter, drug dealers, abandoned vehicles in the parking lot, etc.....are no biggy...but God help ya if your door isn't painted crisp white and esthetically pleasing???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: smack:

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM

178 posts, read 329,298 times
Not ALL HOA's are like that, you really can't make such a generalization. There are a few threads regarding HOA's, one is still active on the first page. There is alot of info on there, spend a few minutes reading those threads as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area