Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM

6,897 posts, read 22,571,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
The state of WA has no income tax. IMO, the state of SC has HIGH income tax rates. Oh yeah, don't forget to pay Columbia your ad-valorem taxes yearly (hope the OP drives an old beater like many residents in this state to save tax money).
And the top rate of income tax here is 7%. State withholding is almost as high if not higher than fed at certain levels. I really don't think OP would see any significant savings by moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,988,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Jdoyle - If you haven't read any of Scotty Dosent Know's posts in the MB forum, you might find them interesting. He relocated here from Seattle for a job but decided to go back home. I don't mean to suggest that would be everyone's reaction, but you may be able to relate to his perspective. Here is a link to one of his early posts: I Hate it Here. While this one may come across a little negative, he became a positive contributor to this forum before he left. He may be a good resource for you.

I am glad you mentioned Scotty ... I wanted to but I certainly didn't want to drag out that post again. I wonder if Scotty has returned to his shangri-la yet or if he is still pining away in SC.

Last edited by Global Friend; 03-10-2013 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM

596 posts, read 940,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
The state of WA has no income tax. IMO, the state of SC has HIGH income tax rates. Oh yeah, don't forget to pay Columbia your ad-valorem taxes yearly (hope the OP drives an old beater like many residents in this state to save tax money).
Oops, I forgot Washington State had no income tax. It is a very blue state politically so it is natural to think taxes are bit on the high side there. Most of the other no income tax states are red or at least swing states if I'm not mistaken.

I agree taxes are too high in SC.

Last edited by SwampFox35; 03-09-2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 PM

596 posts, read 940,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
And the top rate of income tax here is 7%. State withholding is almost as high if not higher than fed at certain levels. I really don't think OP would see any significant savings by moving here.
I can't speak about teaching salaries, but I know engineering firms in South Carolina pay as well or better than states like Maryland despite the cost of living being 150% or more than South Carolina.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 PM

32 posts, read 68,744 times
I'm not trying to say this to be a debbie, but honestly I'd stick to being in Seattle or relocating to CA if you want a beach. Yes, the lower pricing on housing is admirable, but this town lacks in so many ways. Jobs are really hard to find around here and especially the teaching jobs. The school systems are not that terrible in MB but anywhere else is kind of hit or miss. Besides the beach which you will only enjoy in the summer, it is completely dead in the winter. There's only a certain amount of time (about three) that you can visit broadway if you're not going to bars and there's no big shopping center besides the mall.

I know that the grass is always greener, but idk. I would stay in Seattle.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,840,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
...I wonder if Scotty has returned to his shangri-la yet or if he is still pining away in SC.
Hey CW - I saw a recent post from Scotty where he said he was back home. I think he misses us 'cause he still drops in the MB forum from time to time.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 AM

214 posts, read 651,161 times
Yeah I'm still here (on the forum lol) but moved back home to Seattle. Never had a problem with anyone on here and still drop by the SC section to contribute from time to time.

Moved home in December and for me at least it was a good decision. Weather is cold rainy and overcast (which I like) but have taken a few months off work to snowmobile, work on the house, visit family

To the OP: Don't be fooled thinking that the cost of living is soooo cheap that you are going to live like a king if you move to Myrtle beach lol Right now I am paying right around $3.85 in North Seattle for regular gas where it appears to be right around $3.50 in Myrtle Beach. Not a significant difference especially considering I drove much further/more to get to stuff living in MB area as it is spread out. My car insurance was actually more expensive in SC than in WA.

Other things are not much different either. My wife said food in grocery stores seemed slightly more expensive in MB vs Seattle and going out to eat was about the same. Seattle sales tax is 9.5% while it is 9% in Myrle Beach, in SC though you do have an income tax which you dont have in WA.

Going out to movies is cheaper in MB, $8-9.00 vs $10-11:00.....but $2.00 isn't going to break the bank. Other things like clothing etc. I would say is a wash as far as price goes, didnt notice any difference other than styles are behind the times there lol Didn't know they still made jean shorts until I moved to MB

As far as your job goes dont move out there until you have one. If you land a teaching job (if) it wont be "half" of what you are making but it will be less. Also not sure if working in the teachers union is important to you but if it is, they dont exist in SC.

I moved to SC already having a job but my job pays off of a flat fee schedule so I make the same amount as someone living in NYC, Seattle etc. If it was baised on pay in SC I would not have moved. My wife moved out to SC 6 months after I got here and left 6 months prior to me leaving. For the year that she was here she could not find (what we considered) a decent paying job. She has a bachelors degree and 5 years related job experience in her field. The few jobs she was offered out here were in the $24K a year range while she left a job making almost $60K a year. She decided to take a nanny job and hang out at the beach with the kids instead lol

Housing is cheaper which is nice. Looking on Zillow average home prices are just above $100K in Myrtle beach. Not sure where in Seattle you live but in Ballard average home prices are right around $400K - $450K. Rent however seems to be not much less compared to Seattle area. Where I was living in Pawleys Island you can expect to pay between $1,200 to $1,800 for a nice place fairly close to the water. In relation to that my parents rent out a nice older home in Kenmore up above lake washington in a nice neighborhood for $1,700 a month. I would think in Seattle area you should be able to rent something pretty decent for between $1,500 and $2,500 a month. While MB area seems to be less it does not seem significantly less to me but every little bit helps.

Honestly it just depends on what you want. If MB is your dream area you will make it work. If you think you are going to move to a beach paridise and make what you are in WA and pay pennies on the dollar for everything else you will be in for a reality check lol Hopefully this post helps out. I have tried to leave my opinion out and just give you some facts to go off of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area