Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:56 AM

7 posts, read 11,181 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming down next Thursday from Chicago. Our plan is to look for a condo that we can rent out most of the year if possible, but still come and spend January in it ourselves. We have three days to look at communities/complexes to see what we would like to do.

I am looking for advice from anyone, as to what area/complexes are in the high demand for vacation renters to rent? Do they look more for the beach or for golfing? I would prefer to rent to golfers as they would seem to be a more calm bunch, but I can make that decision down the road. If you can give me some names of popular complexes, which are on the newer side of things, I would be so thankful.

We are staying at the Avista Resort to use as our "base" camp. I am leaning toward North Myrtle Beach of possible. Even further north if the condo would rent up there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:21 AM

108 posts, read 227,998 times
You should really contact a realtor who can direct you based on your price and preferences. Send me a private message if you need a recommendation for a realtor. I own a vacation townhouse on a golf course in Little River (Village at the Glens) which has met our past needs for both vacation and rental purposes but quite honestly think I could get more rentals if I were on the beach. Now that I live here year round I am thinking of trying to get a year round renter instead of sporadic vacationers. I think No. Myrtle Beach/Little River are great areas for investment given proximity to so many golf courses and the beach. But I suppose you could say that about most areas of the Grand Strand. Maybe the north end has a little less traffic and congestion going for it. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM

142 posts, read 364,265 times
3 days is not enough time for due diligence and yes, get with a Realtor

Gary

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Thanks guys. I have a realtor scheduled for Friday and she knows my parameters and will schedule private showings of individual units. On Thursday when we get in, the plan is to head north out of MB toward Wilmington and get a feel for the areas as we drift north. Saturday we have for seeing any open models in communities that we like.

It is not, however time for us to purchase anything yet. I want to get 3 or 4 areas/communities narrowed down. And then the plan is to rent a condo for next January, the entire month and purchase something at that time. This upcoming trip is just a scouting trip, if you will

So far, my target area seems to be Little River and the surrounding areas as my preference would be Wilmington over MB, however my retirement plan is to run a condo rental company. 8-10 years I am guessing. Our kids are all in college so the school system isn't a big concern although it does seem that better schools seem to be in cleaner/"better" towns... at least in Chicagoland they do.

Can anyone recommend besides Barefoot, because you already mentioned it and for sure is on the list, some popular areas that allow rentals either N. Myrtle Beach or north from there? Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,080,668 times
We have vacationed in the area for many years both for golf and the beach. We used to stay in N. Myrtle in beach front high rises near the Avista. We would golf during the day and the kids hung at the beach.

Now we travel down w/o kids a couple of times a year mainly to golf but enjoy the beach as well.
The past couple of years we have stayed in Calabash NC at a place called Crow Creek. It has both 2 and 3 bedroom condos, is pretty new and their golf course (on site) is great!

We have run into many golf groups who rent there, they are gone all day (2 rounds a day) and back to the condo to sleep.

Down side is that it is off 17 south so a you have to cross 17 to get to the beach.
It is a much quieter area but very close to N Myrtle.
The closest beach is Sunset Beach and there are several golf courses in the area.

It might be worth a quick look. Definitely check out Sunset Beach!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Will do. I am anxious to see this Route 17 everyone talks about. It really does seem to be the road that separates everything. Everyone talks about it so much. I will see soon enough!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,080,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaubow View Post
I would prefer to rent to golfers as they would seem to be a more calm bunch, but I can make that decision down the road. If you can give me some names of popular complexes, which are on the newer side of things, I would be so thankful.

Thanks
Not to make your search any more complicated but if you are looking to rent to the golf crowd, they are a very organized group.
There are people in MB who arrange golf excursions for large groups from all over. They work deals w/ condo owners and golf courses to accommodate these groups.

What these folks look for are places like Barefoot and Brunswick Plantation where they can rent several condos w/ 2 and 2 (single beds) to house one foursome per condo. They will have anywhere from 12-24 golfers, so they rent multiple condos.

Several years ago, I looked at renting a condo in Brunswick Plantation and was told that they rent mostly to these golf groups. Something to consider.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 AM

thanks Jersey. That is good info. Doesn't complicate things for me, the more info I can get the better!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 PM

104 posts, read 235,202 times
We are staying at our condo this week...a two bedroom condo in avista!! We love it here. Why not buy in avista? The units rent year round..though slow in jan and feb. we recently attended the annual owners meeting and are always impressed with management. We'd love to talk with you if you are here and would like to chat. We leave Friday morning..22nd.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 AM

Thanks marjean. We are surely planning on checking out the Avista. Seems like they might be out of our range. It would just depend on what kind of revenue we could expect from the rentals. Do they give you an idea on that?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area