Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 PM

178 posts, read 329,654 times

Advertisements

That's not very realistic, $2-3 raise every year. Your own personal bills will go up much higher in that timeframe. I think you are missing the point of all the HOA does for people. Obviously, you need to be looking at non-HOA properties at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,918 times
Marcliffe West has HOA fee in past three years of $238; $248 and now for 2014 a whopping $275 monthly almost equal to my mortgage payment. Knowing it will continue to rise and more than this senior can afford, does anyone out there have suggestions for single family communities with pool and low HOA fees along 707 on 17 Bypass S toward Huntington my fav hangout? How about feedback on pre-fab or mfg homes/communities? Thanks.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,633,164 times
I wonder if they just had their reserve study or their cpa look at the books. They may have been found very short in reserve funds and need to build them up.

I also wonder if there are more needs now. The reserve study would have included future to near future needs.

So that could be...what....everyone's siding, shared roof, parking area, major landscaping if it's all gotten too much over the years and some features too worn.

I do like special assessments (such as to carry that vacant unit) because they have a definite purpose and a time limit. Once the fee itself is raised it's almost never going back down.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 PM

747 posts, read 1,683,709 times
Lol hoa still a joke and even more of a rip off with some of the new things I've learned. Hoa still don't do any thing but rip people out of money. They do things on purpose just to raise the fees not to mention the flat out silly rules. Anyone that buys a home in a hoa place is a fool and has sucker written on them.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,153 times
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to choose whether to live in an HOA development or not, but to call people fools because they've chosen a community that meets their needs and lifestyle is petty, rude and crude. Most people either love 'em or hate 'em but there's no need to insult those who choose to live in an HOA.

HOA's serve a purpose but they clearly are not for everyone. And some are quite restrictive while others are pretty easy going. Each person should evaluate a community and its fees and rules before deciding whether to buy a home. My best advice to anyone considering an HOA community is to make sure you get a copy of the Covenants and any supplemental rules and understand what the restrictions are and what fees are paying for before making a decision to buy.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:29 PM

253 posts, read 470,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to choose whether to live in an HOA development or not, but to call people fools because they've chosen a community that meets their needs and lifestyle is petty, rude and crude. Most people either love 'em or hate 'em but there's no need to insult those who choose to live in an HOA....
CTyankee...well said.

Some folks just do not know how to edit themselves - they just seem to spit out whatever comes to mind.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:20 PM

373 posts, read 590,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Now I know many of you "would not live in an HOA community", so please spare me the "I told you so". It works for us for a variety of reasons.....

We have a townhouse in Park West, Murrells Inlet. It is not gated and has no on-site maintanence staff. Our HOA covers the usual: common areas, outside insurance, the pool, landscaping, basic cable, water & sewer. There is no club house or other facilities other then the pool area. The HOA fees have remained the same since we purchased 3.5 years ago. Now they are going up 12% to $986.26 per quarter. We are very unhappy with the increase.

If you live in an HOA community in a condo or townhome, how does both the amount and the frequency of increases compare?
Frankly that is not bad for south Florida. I decided on Palm Springs CA because HOA fees there were more reasonable for what you get. Places I looked at in South FL wanted something like $400+/month for anything decent - often nothing spectacular; one pool to be used by a zillion people was typical.

For just about what you are paying my place (detached homes - the exteriors of which they maintain); has 7 pools/jacuzzis; magnificent gardens, citrus trees of all kinds, bent grass lawns (yes maintained perfectly in the middle of a desert, no less), first class tennis courts, sewer and water included, as is earthquake insurance (which ain't cheap). We even have the streets cleaned twice a week with one of those trucks. That HOA fee has not changed in at least 8 years.

My other place is gated, two pools (one of them is the hugest pool I have ever seen) tennis courts, club house, and shuffleboard, water/sewer, and its gated. They reduced that HOA from $200/month to $180 last year. And yes, a truck comes through and cleans the streets twice a week (I haven't seen that in years).

As for your increase? Costs for landscaping like a lot of other things are going up.
As a result, I've begun to take care of my yard myself most of the time.

Last edited by Global Friend; 01-01-2014 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Statement removed, against the TOS.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:06 AM

96 posts, read 220,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Lol hoa still a joke and even more of a rip off with some of the new things I've learned. Hoa still don't do any thing but rip people out of money. They do things on purpose just to raise the fees not to mention the flat out silly rules. Anyone that buys a home in a hoa place is a fool and has sucker written on them.
Yep chalk me up as one of those fools and a suckers lol. I pay a HOA fee every single month. All I get in return is a boat launch, pool , ponds with fountains, a very well manicured entrance, bike and walking paths, street lights and neighborhood landscape services. Also I get the piece of mind knowing that my several hundred thousand dollar investment is not in jeopardy of having a dog kennel, shoot range , six old cars and four old couches placed next door. I would of moved to West Virgiania if I was looking for that kind of neighborhood . Thanks for pointing out how much of a sucker I am. See if only if I could of been offered some pearls of wisdom prior to my purchase . After reading through some post WOW there are some pearls LOL that's for sure.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM

244 posts, read 715,192 times
If you hate HOA fees then you'd die of fright living in Grande Dunes. On the other hand, our piece of it is immaculately maintained, is gated and patrolled and includes membership in the Ocean Club along with all utilities save for electricity and Internet. As someone who lives out of town that's one check I never begrudge writing every month. If you own property then you are going to pay to maintain it one way or another. If you don't then I don't want to live next to you.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 PM

178 posts, read 329,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I thought this thread explained very clearly what HOA's provide to the people living in these communities. You still seem to have this backwards notion of what an HOA is and does. You may not have heard of this in West Virginia but HOA's have been in place for years. "Do things on purpose just to to raise the fees"? You're in the big city now. No need for the insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area