Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM

96 posts, read 220,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Hey Seabass, have you been bringing in a lot of fish this summer? My son said it has been better than usual. In fact, PD, if you're walking past where he is fishing ya might just pick up a few flounder this morning.
Thanks for asking .Yes fishing (catching LOL) has been very good. For being new to the area I am keeping pretty busy checking out different areas and meeting new folks. I have not done much with the flounder from the beach yet but have done very well with drum, pompano and whitting.
Its hard not to have a wonderful morning or evening up on the sand. Great views of amazing wildlife including osprey feeding,dolphins,king mackeral and spinner sharks crashing bait schools just makes the fishing experience so much better. Glad to hear your boy is catching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
Glad you're catching and enjoying yourself, Seabass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Hey Miss Neecie - Is he fishin' down here or catching 'em from the pier? Sounds like some dead spots are turning up on the north end. Has he seen any fish kills down your way?
He hasn't mentioned any fish kills up this way, but to tell you the truth the "conversation time" between me and him this time of year is extremely limited. I think he was fishing the pier yesterday, but he has spent much of the summer out on the water. He has been tagging along on charters to log hours so he can go to sea school this winter and get his captains license.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:28 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
...He has been tagging along on charters to log hours so he can go to sea school this winter and get his captains license.
Good for him! The fish better start worrying when he gets his license.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass11 View Post
True story....I was driving down a road and an old black gentleman riding on an old bicycle took the time to smile and wave to me as I drove by. Yep I must of got it as it put a big smile on my face for the rest of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
It's not that hard to "get" really, it's just an acknowledgement of your neighbor/visitor/ friend.
It's just "being nice"......something Southerners do really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
oh, it's just an old custom of backward Southerners. It's known as "Being Friendly". As Seabass points out, you oughta try it sometime. There's a rare chance it might brighten your day and perhaps even your attitude.

Are you an acquaintance of bumble-b, by any chance?
Yeah I get that it's friendly but if you don't know the person then why are you waving? I never said it was a bad thing that you guys are so willing to wave to someone you don't know. And no, I don't know who bumble-b is. Why?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
This southern hospitality thing, with the waving and smiling, is something I look so forward to. Here in "wonderful" Michigan, if you take a walk and pass 10 people, 8 of the them will look the other way or look down and not even make eye-contact with you when you cross paths. With 1 of the other 2 that will make eye contact, you'll say "hello" or whatever and they'll merely nod in a way that suggests it's very uncomfortable to them. And then the 1 remaining person will smile back or respond in kind.

And what makes this even more stupid, sometimes you'll pass the same person several times and they'll still look away before any attempt at a kind gesture can be made. No, I liked it better in Virginia where people at least acted kinder. Get me to MB!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
I have found a lot of people in MB to be friendly when we are there, but I also find that a lot of people here in Michigan are very friendly too. I think part of it is how approachable you are and how friendly you are back.

Last edited by canudigit; 08-21-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
This southern hospitality thing, with the waving and smiling, is something I look so forward to. Here in "wonderful" Michigan, if you take a walk and pass 10 people, 8 of the them will look the other way or look down and not even make eye-contact with you when you cross paths. With 1 of the other 2 that will make eye contact, you'll say "hello" or whatever and they'll merely nod in a way that suggests it's very uncomfortable to them. And then the 1 remaining person will smile back or respond in kind.

And what makes this even more stupid, sometimes you'll pass the same person several times and they'll still look away before any attempt at a kind gesture can be made. No, I liked it better in Virginia where people at least acted kinder. Get me to MB!
I know that it's easy to create negativity about a place when you want to leave it as badly as you do, but I have to jump in here, because the above comments are, unfortunately, patently untrue, and even though I am not a native Michigander, I love my adopted state enough that I can't let comments like this go uncorrected.

Michigan is full of small, friendly, "cornfields and Friday night football" kind of towns where the cashier at the local Kroger not only knows your name, she takes the time to chit-chat with you as she checks out your groceries. Fundraisers for people afflicted with cancer, church bake sales...THIS is Michigan, not the cold, rude place that you are painting it to be. Detroit is, like, .001% of the land area and less than 1% of the population. Michigan is a beautiful, rural state filled with small town people, not cold, nasty people like you describe.

So you want to move to MB and you have decided that it is paradise on earth and Michigan is the opposite..okay, to each their own, but please don't stretch the truth to try to get others to sympathize. MB is full of northern transplants anyway, so if you have this much contempt for the people of Michigan, has it occurred to you that you could end up moving to MB and being surrounded by transplanted Michiganders anyway?

Old 08-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I can't let comments like this go uncorrected.
You must live in a different part of the state than I do (for sure as we have no Krogers for over a hundred miles). I do pay attention to this stuff and it IS true here. I lived in VA Beach, which has tons of transplants, too, and never got as many cold shoulders as I do here.

MB is not paradise on earth (which sounds like you're description of MI), but a far cry closer to it than this city. I don't have contempt for people here, they are just not as pleasant to deal with most of the time. It's like having so much indoor time (during winter) makes it harder for people to interact.

Last edited by TNKY; 08-21-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 06:35 PM

Must...stop...hijacking...PawleyDude's threads.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Must...stop...hijacking...PawleyDude's threads.
Ah, you only noted what's true... I bumped into two people who barely nodded to me, looked straight ahead, and kept walking. I felt like I was ET and I just landed.
It was on the beach, and I know the southern people don't ever do this. I told hubby they must be from "Canada". I just picked the most northern area that came into my mind.
I only was mentioning how cute their dog was.......kinda worth more then a nod. The southerners would have stopped and talked for an hour about their dog, their life, and you dog, your life. Big, big, difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area