Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:39 AM

44 posts, read 127,253 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
So I've been researching the schools in the MB area; particularly Ocean Bay, Carolina Forest, Forestbrook, and St James districts. Now, all of the research I have done rates these schools very highly; even higher than my children's current district in NY. Now, I know they are rated by "state standards" and every state has their separate standards. I also know that school ratings do not tell the whole story. A lot of people on this forum say really bad things about the SC schools in general, and it worries me. I was wondering if anyone who has children in these districts can give me more information? Also, are there any transplants who have their children in these districts who came from NY, MA, CT, or other states with highly rated school systems? How do they compare? I guess it can vary from school to school as well. My only worry about relocating will be that my soon to be 4th grader will be relearning things she already learned in 2nd grade! I'm also looking for a district that has a large group of actively involved parents. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
I came from NJ when my DS was in lst. grade. I live in Carolina Forest and my DS now goes to the middle schools. I personally hate the schools - it is very different then the schools he attended in NJ. They are further behind then what he would be learning in NJ I still have friends there. The schools just isn't diverse in what they offer or learn in the class.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM

GJM thank you for your honest response! What else do you dislike about the schools? Is there anything you do like? How about Carolina Forest area in general? My parents live there, so I've been looking in to it. Do you plan on leaving the area? Any info you could give me would be great, thanks

Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
JMC4, I can't give you any information on the districts you asked about, but I did want to mention there are also a couple charter schools in the area. Palmetto Academy is in Myrtle Beach (Market Commons area). Our son only went there for 1/2 a year and it didn't float our boat, but I know others who were very satisfied with it. I believe there is another in MB, but I am not certain. Our kids go to South Carolina Connections Academy (an online charter school). It is not for everyone since you would have to have someone who is available to be a learning coach, but we think they are terrific. We find them to be very advanced in their learning approach. And, although there are days I want to pull my hair out, we wouldn't have our kids go anywhere else at this point.

I think there are others on the board that may be able to give you additional information on the districts you inquired about. Good luck to you!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will definately look in to them

Old 07-14-2012, 04:46 AM
GJM

I do love the Carolina Forest area - we live in The Farm and it is right near the elementary school and middle school. We don't plan on moving, since my husbands job is here right now. If I could I would love to move back to NJ but that isn't going to happen.

When it comes to the school - there is really nothing I like about them at all.

I do love the weather down here, my home owner taxes are much cheaper then NJ and being close to the beach.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:48 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
JMC4,
There are private schools everywhere down here. If your parents live in SC just ask them to
research into private schools for you. You can visit them when you visit.
You get what you pay for, everywhere.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
We have no kids in school here so I can't provide any first hand knowledge of the schools. However, we have a close friend (from upstate NY) works as an aide and she said the biggest difference in the schools that she has seen is that (at the secondary level) there is less emphasis placed on telling students that "everyone should go to college." My guess (coming from a small rural state myself) is that because SC has a lot of farms, the families don't place as much emphasis on college and hence the schools do not as well. I have cousins whose father told them that they were to finish high school and then help work the farm rather than going to college...it's just the way life was.

Our friend said that for kids who aspired to college, the opportunities in the schools that she has worked is there. But there's a separate path for students who are not going that route. I have to say that I don't completely disagree with this approach. My youngest son had no desire to go to college even though my wife and I both have our BA's and his older brother and sister do as well. But, the high school he went to in CT tried to pigeon hole everyone into the college path and as a result, he did not get the direction he needed from the school to help him figure out what was best for him. Of course, we have tried to help him but the school could have provided an education that was more in line with where he was planning on going with his life.

One final comment...I doubt that your 4th grade child would be relearning 2nd grade material...No Child Left Behind has leveled the playing field somewhat so that standards from state to state are closer than they were in the past. Methods, tools, budgets, etc. may be different but the standards are similar.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Butterfly, thank you I will look in to them!

CT- Seeing as though two of my children (the third can't talk yet ) want to be doctors, they will HAVE to go to college . Eduation is something that is very important in my family, no ifs ands or buts about it. So it makes me feel better that you say that the opportunities are there, if the child (and parents) choose. Also, I will have to research the No Child Left Behind law more! Thanks for the input!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 PM
GJM

I don't believe the standards are the same state to state.

We have a nephew going into third grade, he knows his multiplication tables, my son made a comment that he didn't learn them until 3rd. grade. I do feel that if I moved back to NJ my son would be behind in school. When they do teach Math they rush thru everything - they never took the time to teach multiplication tables, they go thru it. Everyday Math is used in elementary school, but not used in Middle.

I have a friend that was a teacher in NJ and now teaches here - and she tells me all the time how different it is. School is work but still should be enjoyable with diverse extra classes, such as art, music, gym.

In SC my son's computer class was doing math problems on a computer. In NJ in lst. grade his computer class was learning the computer, making calendars on the computer and learning the keyboard. My son has also had Spanish class in NJ as well as gym 2 times a week, art class, music class as well as library.

I never realized that schools could be so different from areas, I knew it would be somewhat different but not this. There are private schools and I do regret not enrolling him when we moved down here, now he has his friends and doesn't want to change schools.

I am sure others have a different opinion and think the schools are wonderful - this is just my opinion on the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area