Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:41 PM

145 posts, read 359,467 times

Advertisements

also about crime, cost of living, friendliness of the people and distance from Myrtle Beach. We are from Philadelphia Area (Bucks County) and are looking to move South, within 45 minutes of the beach, close to a good hospital and enough shopping nearby to keep body and soul together. We are not looking for a "single family residence" but in fact a property that will help pay for itself, including zoning that will be commercial and be adequate for a small boardinghouse and at least one rental unit. I am partially disabled, due to multiple spine problems so I'll be offering reduced room rent in exchange for work. I hope this is workable because I have no relatives other than the two other family members I live with. Our ages are 56, 56 and 77. Also, what is the going rate for room and board in a reasonably priced area in MB area? This will be my first experience as a landlord. I do have one person interested in renting, also partially disabled. (Any subsequent renters will have to be able bodied.) Last but not least, we'd like a little land so we can grow our own organic produce and possibly have a side business selling some. Mom and I hate snakes and neither of us has ever seen one, except once in a creek, and all others, yes, in captivity. How can I avoid the snakes with the kind of property we want in South Carolina? Can something be installed or used around the property or at least the living areas? We're hoping to make the move in the spring. Our current home is not quite ready for the market. I read Socastee is nice and to some extent, Little River. Thanks for any help.

To help my helpful readers in replying, I'll list the issues in a recap here:

snakes
crime
friendly people, polite drivers
reasonable real estate prices
not too isolated
multiple zoning
small acreage
close to beach (45 min. max drive)
close to hospital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:39 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,610 times
Snakes, spiders, palmetto bugs (roaches), insects and gators are all part of living in SC's lowcountry. They were here long before humans arrived and will still be here long after we're gone. Some folks - mostly realtors (not you, rrufast ) - will tell you they've never seen a snake down here. Those folks are either not paying attention or simply need to get out more often. We live in an established suburban neighborhood with a landscaped yard. We've probably seen 15-20 snakes this year, most recently a 4' black snake that has taken up residence in one of our natural areas. That's a good thing since they keep mice and other rodents under control. Snakes are less prevalent on the immediate coast and in urban areas. The more rural you get, the more likely you will see them. Trying to eliminate snakes on your property would be a futile, expensive, foolish thing to do. Education and caution are your best tools.

Zoning is a hit-and-miss thing down here, particularly as you get further into rural areas. Socastee and Little River are both nice areas. I think what you are describing will put you a little further from the coast, Conway area, perhaps, but I could be wrong. Good luck with your more.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 PM

34 posts, read 100,138 times
Oh dear.. I have yet to encounter my 1st snake but I will say the fire ants took me for a loop, until I figured out how to kill 'em . The big bugs.. Palmetto bugs were scarey.. but we have a service that sprays for multi bugs - well worth the $, I must add, life is good!

Hopefully I'll not encounter a snake (while alone!)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Pawleys..., I'm not turned off yet, especially after reading the other posters reply. LOL Well, I really like the idea of a coastal town, which is in my favor. However, I don't know if I can afford that. As for the education you mentioned, I'm wondering about snake deterrents. BTW, how far from the ocean must you be in order to probably not see any snake?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Tessa, I'm curious where in MB area you are and how long you've been there, since you have not yet seen a snake, which judging from the other poster's answer, makes seeing one, for you, imminent. Well maybe I will get a few more posts on here, I like chatting about different areas.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Debbie..., I will be contacting you at the email, however we're not yet ready to even put our current property on the market (needs a little remodeling). Low cost and quality of life is essential to us. I know quality is subjective, but we need the friendliness-slow pace-law-abiding environment.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks to the three of you who have replied so far! I'm sure we can find something.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,833,610 times
Quote:
Pawleys..., I'm not turned off yet...
Good! Because I sure did not intend to turn you off! I was only trying to give you an honest answer. To the best of my knowledge, snakes are not usually an issue on oceanfront properties, or on the small barrier islands surrounded by salt water. At the same time, they are not uncommon at Huntington Beach State Park, which is an oceanfront park in the Grand Strand. Otherwise, snakes are a fact of life in SC. I grew up in upstate SC, and we had just as many up there as we have down here.

As far as deterrents, keeping a clean landscape, without piles of brush or stacks of firewood can make a difference. We have several flower beds and natural areas that use pine needles for mulch, and this is where we usually see them. Snakes, being cold-blooded, also like to crawl out on a warm road or paved driveway after dark, so when we walk late, we pay attention. I've heard of some people putting out mothballs, but I think that's an old wives tale. The deterrents sold in stores? Don't waste your money. They're on the same level as those sonic sound transmitters mounted on car bumpers to keep you from hitting deer. If you buy 'em, you're just helping somebody else's economy.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:07 PM

34 posts, read 100,138 times
Movingsouthgal ~ I'm in Loris and have been here "full time" since May. I'm very happy to not have seen a snake and hopefully won't.

I also do not have a wood pile and refuse to use pine needles for mulch.

If and when I see my first snake, you will hear screaming and such.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,978 times
I haven't seen any snakes either, but then I've only been here for a couple of weeks. I thought I saw a snake the other day, but it turned out to be my garden hose! I have seen several very large and very scary looking spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area