Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times

Advertisements

As I said, I don't have a big problem with bike weeks. But I would have no problem with the Business 17 and Tournement Blvd. Suck-Bang-Blow turned into something else! A parking lot would be fine...... IMHO, it just does not belong there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:45 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
Unfortunately, MB will never apologize under the present regime and bike week will never be what it once was, this year was the 72nd year, it is the oldest bike rally in the Country and use to be considered one of the top 3. Now it is a joke, what was there this year 40 vendors, when in years past there were 300+.
Sadly, I'm sure you're right. Given enough time, we'll eventually homogenize this fine place right on down to pablum, or should I say Geritol, all in the name of progress. I guess those wild, wicked shaggers will be the next to go. I understand there were complaints at the SOS fall migration because some of the dance spots were "inconsiderate" enough to play live music past midnite.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 PM

214 posts, read 649,536 times
Afraid to leave your house??? IMO the bike weeks are about the most interesting thing that happens here all year long. I dont even own a bike just neat to see all the strange/cool outfits, bikes, cars etc. Wander around next year and try not to break a hip.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I have noticed some unspoken (and some spoken) hostility towards "groups" on this forum. And while it seems that most posters avoid being politically incorrect toward ethnic, sexual oriented, religious, political, etc. groups (as they should), it seems it is always open season on older retired people.

I am about to turn 63. I'm retired. I'm active. I'm very satisfied with my life. I have close friends much, much younger than me. I have close friends much older.

I am not happy to think that any opinion I have is judged because I am older and retired!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I have many friends that are bikers. Some come down here for fun on their bikes. Bikers have had a reputation as "bad boys" for a long time and I think OP sees them this way. While some may in fact be "bad boys", those I know are family men and don't have a bad bone in their bodies. Because I don't live in MB I can't comment on the goings on during these events. I know that some of the news reports haven't been positive and might give an outsider reason to be afraid. Still, with residents telling him that it's really nothing to worry about and him coming back with the worried attitude his friends have bestowed upon him, I have to wonder if anything the residents say will sway the opinion he has developed. I think not.

OP there are bikers all over this country. Surely you wouldn't want to lock yourself up inside your home like a prisoner because of one group of people. Go out, enjoy yourself. Life is an adventure, try taking one!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Alll I know is the entire month of May is ruined for regular non bikers who want to ENJOY the mrytle beach area.. Even a local has posted here to avoid the beaches and main roads during this time.....I have seen some of the filthy pictures taken at this most recent event and it IS NOT what decent people would want their children to see...Guess we will spend our money at another beach area from now on and encourage all we know to do so too...

Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM

108 posts, read 227,334 times
All of May was NOT ruined by bikers. The Grand Strand is 60 miles long and can support an influx of tourists whether they are on motorcycles or in mini-vans. It helps the local economy and as a local who moved here in December I am happy to call the Grand Strand home. Its a shame you will have to find somewhere else to relocate. Oh, and stop looking at those dirty pictures.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM

96 posts, read 220,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Alll I know is the entire month of May is ruined for regular non bikers who want to ENJOY the mrytle beach area.. Even a local has posted here to avoid the beaches and main roads during this time.....I have seen some of the filthy pictures taken at this most recent event and it IS NOT what decent people would want their children to see...Guess we will spend our money at another beach area from now on and encourage all we know to do so too...
Looks like the grand strands loss will be another beach areas gain. I hope you find the place you are looking for. I just wonder why ask a question on this board if you challange all the responses or claim to know the answers already? Many of these posters have been so very helpful to many others myself included. My experience is they just tell it like a local sees it. For what it's worth the vast majority of "bikers" are really middle age and older people who keep bikes in thier garage (next to there 2 cars) and only ride on weekends or vacations. I usually call these people friend, neighbor , little league coach ,doctor,lawyer,etc. It is too bad a few bad apples can spoil it for the vast majority.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:53 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Alll I know is the entire month of May is ruined for regular non bikers who want to ENJOY the mrytle beach area..
You know, you asked for opinions, and at least 5 residents responded, suggesting bike weeks are not a terrible deterrent to living here. Unless Gary happens to ride (do you, Gary?) none of us who responded are bikers. Obviously, you already knew the answer you wanted to hear, and we didn't have it. If you just wanted to b*tch about bike week, you should have done that. Sooner or later, if you had talked to yourself long enough, somebody would have come along and agreed with you. I'm sure you will ignore it because it doesn't fit with how you feel, but all the objective studies have shown that bike weeks do not reduce Grand Strand tourism. There are people who decide not to visit during those two weeks, choosing to visit on a different week. If the bike weeks were not held, those people may come during that time slot, but would not come back later. Bottom line, it's a wash in the annual number of non-bikers, and the revenue lost by eliminating bike weeks would be significant. Feel free to ignore all that; I wouldn't want your opinions to get confused by the facts. There are many wonderful beaches in this world. I hope you find one that is perfectly sanitized to your needs.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 07-10-2012 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: fat fingers

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
So you're going to believe 2 people over all the residents in this thread trying to help you see the light?

When you go to the beach you better choose a private beach if you are that afraid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area