Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 AM

253 posts, read 471,327 times

Advertisements

Thank you, vrexy, and I am aware of that! Not sure we can afford the "real" Surfside Beach, e.g. the area you described, primarily due to the taxes and insurance. However, Caropines appeals to both of us.

As for parking, I read somewhere that if you have a handicapped placard, you can park anywhere for free. Is this correct?

Does anyone know what the property tax rate is for East and West of 17 at Surfside? I cannot find it anywhere, but I am not that computer literate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,682,943 times
I don't know anything about handicapped parking rules other than that I can't park in a space that is designated for handicapped. But here is a link to the SC DMV. Call them and ask. Then you will be sure.

SC Department of Motor Vehicles

I am pretty sure that all of Horry County has a 4% tax rate for owner occupied homes, meaning that it is your primary residence and not used part time or as rental property. I think if you do that the rate is 6%, but I'm not sure since I don't own any other house other than the one I live in.

I know people that live in both Deerfield and Caropines and they all love it there. You would definitely get more for your money as far as square ft., etc. if you buy something there as opposed to SSB proper. It all depends on what your priorities are. Our main thing was that we wanted to be within walking distance to the ocean, even though we hardly ever walk there! We live on a street with almost no traffic and always take our golf cart. Makes it a lot easier to take chairs, cooler, our dogs, etc. And keeps the sand out of our cars. We still seem to track a lot of sand into our house no matter what we do to avoid it.

I know and have seen people who drive golf carts across rt. 17, but I would never do that. Too dangerous! I would never drive my golf cart on any even somewhat busy street with cars, etc. As of right now you are only allowed to drive your golf cart within 2 miles of your residence. That changes to 4 miles sometime this fall - not sure exactly when.

There was a horrible car accident about 2 days ago on business 17 involving cars only and an 18 year old girl was struck and killed while sitting in her car waiting at a red light. Back in Jan. of this year, my next door neighbor was walking across 17 at almost the exact same place and was struck and killed by a car. No way would I venture across that road in a golf cart, walking or riding my bicycle. I wish it wasn't so dangerous because I would love to take my golf cart to the grocery store.

Anyway, I guess I went off topic a bit, but hopefully I was able to share some information that would be valuable to you.

Best wishes on your move. I have several good friends who live in TX and they all say the same thing that you do about the unbearable heat!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,712,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Thank you, vrexy, and I am aware of that! Not sure we can afford the "real" Surfside Beach, e.g. the area you described, primarily due to the taxes and insurance. However, Caropines appeals to both of us.

As for parking, I read somewhere that if you have a handicapped placard, you can park anywhere for free. Is this correct?

Does anyone know what the property tax rate is for East and West of 17 at Surfside? I cannot find it anywhere, but I am not that computer literate!
Yes, on the parking question. We just learned that and had not known that for all the years of coming down here.

Taxes are so reasonable but the insurance for flood and water is high.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,470 times
So do you still pay a membership fee for out of town if you live in Surfside Beach? Or do you have to only live within the same town as Surfside Beach club in order to receive residential fees?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Surfside Beach Club is not a club, it is a residential community. I think the only thing you can do there is buy a house. You would have to call them and ask if there is an option to pay to use their pool, etc. As I mentioned previously, it is not even located in Surfside Beach!

Welcome to Surfside Beach Club!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:42 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,712,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post

Well one thing for sure is I am happy living in the "general area" of Surfside Beach. I've never been one for borders.
We looked into Caropines too and into Deerfield. We found some great pricing in Lake Park Plantation though, and we are only 8 minutes to the beach. I loved the lots here, the trees, and the many homes on lagoons. ( with little docks too) It is great being so close to Ross, Kohls, and the new Target amongst others. It is a skip for me to get to Target or even Lowes...love that.
Then we do use Surfside Beach mostly but we also joined Huntington State Park, which my kids love.
If your looking for great pricing don't turn from Glenmere or Lake Park Plantation.
What is nice here is it is quiet in the evenings and when I return from the beach, I'm ready for that.

You must feel happy about chosing a town now. I don't exactly care if my mail is addressed to a different town then I live. For some reason, that has been the case in NJ and in PA also.

Taxes will be low, low...Its that darn flood, wind and hail that kills ya!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM

245 posts, read 496,532 times
I am pretty sure that all of Horry County has a 4% tax rate for owner occupied homes, meaning that it is your primary residence and not used part time or as rental property. I think if you do that the rate is 6%, but I'm not sure since I don't own any other house other than the one I live in.

Is this percent the purchase price or the value of the home?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 AM

This should answer any tax questions:

Assessor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area