Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,898,784 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is anyone else getting annoyed over the on-going debate and whining over whether or not the 7th district congressional democratic race should have a runoff? I am sick of hearing about the 2300 people whose votes won't count .... If those 2300 people wanted their vote to count they wouldn't have voted for someone who withdrew from the race! .... not to mention that Brittain would need either - almost every vote that went to Vick, Diggs and Pavilack or Tinubu supporters to stay home - in order to win in a runoff election. Do any voters out there really believe there should be a runoff, or is this just all party, candidate and the media Hype?

IMO we got a good candidate and I hope we can unite and get behind her and move on to paint this district BLUE in November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,843,658 times
Some days, it's hard to be a SC Democrat. The state party leadership is an embarassment. The candidate endorsed by the party heavyweights didn't win, so they made a fool of themselves trying to rewrite the results. If Brittain had the integrity he claimed to have, he would have taken a look at how badly he lost, then congratulated Tinubu and worked to unite the party behind her. Instead, he's now attacking her as an "outsider" which, considering her background, is just idiotic. It's been another discouraging show of SC backroom politics at its worst.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM

After being completely annoyed by Ted Fortenberry's "Consider this", I was pleased to see the Sun News and Issac Bailey had a more accurate take on the subject.

maybe Ted should have considered this ....

PD, I am sure you saw these already, but I thought I would put them out there anyway just in case you hadn't I hate to be annoyed alone

Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM

I did read Bailey's column this morning, and thought it was a very eloquent description of the situation. He's one of my favorite columnists - I don't agree with everything he says, but I admire his thoughtful arguments and thought-provoking commentaries.

I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for somebody who wastes their vote on someone who is not a candidate. Then again, even if Vick had been a candidate, I have to wonder about someone who would have voted for him, considering his recent transgressions. Had he only the will power to behave himself for a little while, he would likely have won the primary. I thought the reader's comment to Fortenberry 's statement made more sense than the story.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM

790 posts, read 1,630,909 times
I worked as a poll worker this past primary...believe me, there were folks who came in to vote who had no idea who was running or which party's primary they wanted to vote in. I was amazed at the total lack of awareness...so it's not surprising that people voted for Vick...it's a name that they had heard...that's how they decided who to vote for after they got to the polls.

We had one person who got to the booth and called me over and asked how they could vote a straight ticket. I had to gently explain that in a primary, they had to choose one person because they were all running for the same office (in this particular instance). After they left, I had to just shake my head......

We had another person who got to the check in table and when asked in which party's primary they wanted to vote replied "I haven't made up my mind yet." Excuse me...you're one step away from walking to the voting booth and you haven't decided which party's primary you want to vote in? It took her 5 minutes to decide. Amazing.....

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM

CT, that is not just sad it is downright depressing. Why do people even bother going if they don't have a preference? And the more baffling question, why don't people care enough to get informed?

I had a conversation with a young person prior to the primaries. I knew he was going to vote so I tried to pick his brain on the candidates. It turns out he was just giving a friend an extra vote and he didn't have any basis for a preference. I found this disheartening and the only consolation was that he wasn't voting in the same primary as I was.

Maybe instead of requiring ID at the polls we should ask potential voters to answer 3 simple questions regarding the candidates?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
...We had one person who got to the booth and called me over and asked how they could vote a straight ticket...
Gotta luv it...

A few years ago, we had a particularly ugly state-level race - lots of personal attacks, lots of differences between the candidates. Just ugly. One of the TV stations was doing exit poll fluff interviews, asking people which candidate they supported. A lady stepped up to the mike and said she didn't have time to mess with all that stuff, she just voted a straight **** ticket. It was apparent she was very pleased with herself over her response. It was also apparent that most of her "important" time was spenting shopping at Market Commons. I found the episode particularly depressing. It's not hard to understand why our gov't is in the mess it is.

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter." ~Winston Churchill

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 AM

http://www.carolinalive.com/uploaded...;s%20Order.pdf

Old 06-22-2012, 04:23 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,799,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I worked as a poll worker this past primary...believe me, there were folks who came in to vote who had no idea who was running or which party's primary they wanted to vote in. I was amazed at the total lack of awareness...so it's not surprising that people voted for Vick...it's a name that they had heard...that's how they decided who to vote for after they got to the polls.

We had one person who got to the booth and called me over and asked how they could vote a straight ticket. I had to gently explain that in a primary, they had to choose one person because they were all running for the same office (in this particular instance). After they left, I had to just shake my head......

We had another person who got to the check in table and when asked in which party's primary they wanted to vote replied "I haven't made up my mind yet." Excuse me...you're one step away from walking to the voting booth and you haven't decided which party's primary you want to vote in? It took her 5 minutes to decide. Amazing.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Gotta luv it...

A few years ago, we had a particularly ugly state-level race - lots of personal attacks, lots of differences between the candidates. Just ugly. One of the TV stations was doing exit poll fluff interviews, asking people which candidate they supported. A lady stepped up to the mike and said she didn't have time to mess with all that stuff, she just voted a straight **** ticket. It was apparent she was very pleased with herself over her response. It was also apparent that most of her "important" time was spenting shopping at Market Commons. I found the episode particularly depressing. It's not hard to understand why our gov't is in the mess it is.

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter." ~Winston Churchill
None of this surprises me. Most people don't have a clue about the candidates or even understand how our government works but everyone has an opinion. A lot of the people I meet think Fox News is real information and use that to make their decisions.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:28 AM

790 posts, read 1,630,909 times
Actually, the observations I made at the polls as a poll worker were not unique to people who would watch Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area