Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,565,268 times

Advertisements

(This supprised me)........ Bugs are worse in residentual Central NJ then they are were my townhouse is in Murrells Inlet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM

790 posts, read 1,630,909 times
Our biggest surprise was the palmetto bugs (just a southern name for cockroaches) especially in the garage. Just buy some roach traps and put them your garage and if you end up with some in the house, just put a few in the house. They are pretty common and a their presence is not an indication of a dirty house...just that they are common.

You'll also see lots of geckos and lizards. Fire ants can be a problem and you may need to treat your yard for those. We haven't seen any mice like we did in CT but that's probably because it doesn't get as cold here and they don't find their way in the house to stay warm. Spiders are in every part of the country and don't seem to be any worse here than CT. Lots of frogs here...probably because it doesn't get as cold and warms up faster. And, of course, there's the occasional gator if you live on a pond or near the Intercoastal Waterway.

Oh, and unlike CT where they refused to spray for mosquitoes, the county sprays via truck and by air to help control their populations and I probably see less of them here than I ever did in CT.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,799,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamamm View Post
I really appreciate all the insight everyone is giving me. Seems like the people down there are really friendly - can't wait to get settled and meet some new neighbors... we don't live in a neighborhood here, no neighbors at all, so I'm really looking forward to that.
Most of the people you will meet will probably be from the NE unless you move out to the country. I've been on this site almost since it started and came here to learn about this area also. So many people have asked "will they fit in" or questions about getting along with people from the south when they are from the north. I've been saying the same answer, just be yourself and be friendly. Why would anyone want to act like someone else to fit in? The point is, be a nice person no matter where you go and you will fit in. Everyone here is not nice just like everyone from the north is not nice but I always believe you get back what you put out. Good luck : )

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,726,312 times
As one would expect, you have gotten some great input here.
The biggest "thing" that our friends from the NE have mentioned is the Ma'am and Sir thing. Its a little awkward for a lot of folks who weren't reared to incorporate that into the dialog, but it really goes a long way to ingratiating the kids to local adults...teachers especially will expect it. So for your son, start the transition to "Yes ma'am and Yes Sir" now so it will be easier when he gets there. For a child to refer to an adult outside their own family by the adult's given name would be a mistake at his age, but its not uncommon for older teens to refer to family friends by their first name.
For me, I think that the firm handshake and honest "look 'em in the eye" approach to life by southerners is what makes me appreciate them so much. There is nothing "wishy washy" about truly Southern folk...you will find them to be courteous, outgoing and helpful almost to a fault, which is counter to what a lot of New Englanders are used to.
Coming with the idea of embracing the South rather than making it fit your lifestyle will go a LOOONG way. Good for you.
Oh, when you order tea, state plainly if you don't want it pre-sweetened!
Good luck with your move and keep asking questions!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 PM

19 posts, read 73,128 times
Don't get discouraged when you meet your first anti-Yankee Southerner. Most of the people in the area are extremely nice and welcoming, but you will encounter a few die-hards who will automatically hate you upon hearing you're not from the area. As a transplant from the Midwest myself, I would encourage you not to judge the area based on a handful of ignorant folks.

The advice about "ma'am" and "sir" is important. I remember having a teacher say "yes... what?" to me and having no idea what she meant back when I was a high school student who moved to SC. It's not anything your kids would get sent to the principal's office over, but it's just a cultural thing they'll find to be foreign at first.

Welcome to the South!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:02 PM

44 posts, read 116,105 times
They spray for mosquitoes??? Woohoo!! Here they are so bad, you can't really go outside in the spring/summer without a screened enclosure. That will be SO nice.

I'm grateful for the ma'am/sir advice. I have my son starting to practice this. He's at the point where if I say "yes... what?" he remembers and says yes ma'am. He thinks it's kind of silly right now, but I'm sure he'll get used to it soon enough. I think our personalities will fit in fine, but these little things I think are important - especially if someone could feel disrespected by us not doing it.

I don't mind the old timers who tend to shun transplants - I've dealt with it in a previous move to a new area - I just don't want to be doing anything to call attention to the fact, or be doing something they would find disrespectful, just because I'm ignorant of local customs/culture.

Really appreciating all the advice and insight. What a great site this is!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM

44 posts, read 128,534 times
jamamm,
Hello and good luck with your impending move
I also am looking to relocate to the MB area. I was wondering where the Berkshire Forest area is and how the schools are? I've done a lot of research, and have not heard of it?
I appreciate your thread; I haven't even thought about the culture shock my children will encounter!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 PM

790 posts, read 1,630,909 times
Berkshire Forest (name of a housing development) is just north of 501 near the Intercoastal Waterway. It's officially part of Carolina Forest but is separated from the rest of CF by Rt31. It's very nice and we almost decided to build there but found that the noise from Rt31 (4 lane highway) was a little too much for our taste. Some would find it just background noise and would not be bothered by it. It has a wonderful clubhouse and pool with a small lake with a very small beach. Overall, very nice. It's probably part of CF High School but you should check to be sure.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM

44 posts, read 128,534 times
Thank you!

And as for the bugs and critters... I have to admit... I am absolutely terrified of the Palmetto bugs aka roaches!! I have yet to see one... but just the mere thought makes me cringe...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM

44 posts, read 116,105 times
I'll take palmetto bugs over bears trying to get in my house any day!

JMC4 - Good luck on your move! The schools in Berkshire Forest are River Oaks Elementary (new), Ocean Bay Middle School, and Carolina Forest HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area