Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM

20 posts, read 52,372 times

Advertisements

My wife and I visited Myrtle Beach last September and LOVED it.

We are thinking seriously about going back this September and may even consider retiring there in 9 years.

I read earlier, I think it was on page 2, that Myrtle Beach does get cold in the winter. According to weather.com, the coldest day of the year has an AVERAGE high temperature of 57 degrees. That's not cold, it's just chilly. Even if you factor in the proximity of the ocean, it still has to be better than what we have in north central Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Well, I have to say that this winter has just been wonderful. Way different from the past hmmmmm
about 3 or so.
The weather has been pretty warm and wonderful.
However, maybe you'd be surprised to know that it can get in the 30's at night.
One year my hubby slipped on ice from a broken sprinkler and he broke 4 ribs.
Yes, here in Myrtle Beach. Also one year the AC of many people broke down. They formed ice on the outside and then worked poorly. It kept the repairmen busy. I must say this winter we have just needed a sweater and sometimes not even one at all.
It is so nice to be able to go out and about. Walk the neighborhood. Go to outside events and walk the shopping areas. I have to pinch myself that it is January.
Just for a fact, I know in the past 10 years we have had two snowstorms. One about 4/5 inches.
Of course it melted quite fast and just was a pleasure for those who don't get to see snow often.
But, for winter this is fantastic. Chilly sometimes and yet I think we hit 78 the other day....
Wonderful area to retire. So much to do and see and never a chance to be bored.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 PM

459 posts, read 757,509 times
Love Myrtle Beach! Coming to visit again in March.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 AM

March is a wonderful time to visit. Especially later in March when we have actually swam in the ocean.
Looks like most of May will be bike weeks. Seems one bike organization is going into a time when another is around. It is going to be loud around here. Its about that time when I will stay away from the main tourist area and find things to do around home.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM

20 posts, read 52,372 times
I have a question about bike weeks...and spring break for that matter.

I have heard 2 schools of thought.

1) Myrtle Beach is a nice place to visit but you don't want to live there due to bike weeks and spring break. Things get crazy then.

2) Myrtle Beach is a great place to live. When bike weeks and spring break arrives, simply stay away from the tourist spots and you will be fine.

Which one is accurate?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
We absolutely love the Myrtle Beach area and the answer to which one is accurate probably depends on where you live. We live just over the Intercoastal Waterway on the western side which makes it easy to agree with your school of thought #2. We can do just about any activity we want and never go near the tourist spots during the busy times.

If, however, you live in or very near the tourist spots (close to on on the beach), it's very difficult to avoid the tourist spots and bikers. I can imagine that folks in that position would say that your item #1 is true.

So, it depends on your perspective.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times
Where would be the best place to stay at a hotel near Myrtle Beach, possibly within an hour and a half? We plan on arriving in Myrtle Beach on a Sunday, but our resort reservation isn't until Monday, so we need a place to stay for a night. It's only for a night, so it's not too big of deal, but we don't want to stay at stay at a trashy hotel, but we don't want a fancy hotel that's going to cost us a lot of money. Any suggestions? I saw that Florence is a about 1 and a half hours away. Would that be our best bet for a cheap, but decent hotel? We are needing it for the last weekend in May if that means anything.

Also, this might be a silly question, but is swimming allowed in waterways, or do they only allow boats in them? I have been to the ocean several times, but never really dealt much with waterways. But this trip, we couldn't get a resort on the ocean, so instead we had to get one right on the waterway.

Last edited by bkern1989; 01-30-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times
Also, you mentioned the zoo as a good place to go, but it sounds like a rather depressing place to go. Nearly all of the reviews on google claim that the animals are kept in a rather small and dirty exhibit. That wouldn't be a big deal if the animals didn't need a decent amount of room to exercise in. And one of those reviews came from a few days ago, so it must still be a problem? Is that true or are people being a bit too harsh on the zoo?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 AM

OK bkern you have inspired me to go. I have only heard wonderful things myself from friends.
About all the sea birds in their own habitat. Pelicans and egrets...
I'm sure they don't have the funds to do things like the Philly Zoo, or the Bronx Zoo but.....
I have been to some very nice small zoos that were just fine.
I will take a few pictures and we all can decide for ourselves. So stop back in awhile and I'll post some for you. ( in the new two weeks or so...)

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
Where would be the best place to stay at a hotel near Myrtle Beach, possibly within an hour and a half? We plan on arriving in Myrtle Beach on a Sunday, but our resort reservation isn't until Monday, so we need a place to stay for a night. It's only for a night, so it's not too big of deal, but we don't want to stay at stay at a trashy hotel, but we don't want a fancy hotel that's going to cost us a lot of money. Any suggestions? I saw that Florence is a about 1 and a half hours away. Would that be our best bet for a cheap, but decent hotel? We are needing it for the last weekend in May if that means anything.

Also, this might be a silly question, but is swimming allowed in waterways, or do they only allow boats in them? I have been to the ocean several times, but never really dealt much with waterways. But this trip, we couldn't get a resort on the ocean, so instead we had to get one right on the waterway.
Why don't you come into MB and use the Red Roof or the LaQuinta.
Both are nice.
There are mostly boats in the waterways. Not sure you'd want to swim in a waterway.....never know about alligators and where they might be.
You probably won't be all that far from the ocean though.
I have never stayed in Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area