Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,581,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Do you own a map? South Carolina is in no way a northern state.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 40,802 times
Quote:
Actually, there are not many pools in Myrtle Beach because for a good part of the summer months it is too hot to use your pool and everyone has the ocean.

I used my pool the most February-May and September-November and the other months we didn't use it.

Also up until about 10-12 years ago there was some weird building code or insurance issue that made them cost prohibitive.

Growing up in Myrtle Beach, no one has a pool. We'd either pool hop on the boulevard or hang out at The Dunes Club pool.

Thank you for answering the question without being rude. I surely appreciate it. South Carolina is not a northern state as I grew up in a northern state and we had pools all around us and were able to swim 3/4 of the year without any problems.

I think if some of the nicer homes had pools they would be more attractive to potential buyers.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,801 times
Quote:
Actually, there are not many pools in Myrtle Beach because for a good part of the summer months it is too hot to use your pool and everyone has the ocean.
I have gone swimming almost every day this summer in our pool. There have been a few days I thought I should have brought a bar of soap but for the most part I never felt it was too hot. I have thought that maybe people didn't have pools because they have the ocean, as you have said. For me, I won't do more than dabble my feet in the edge of the ocean. I love to look at it but I have never been fond of swimming with the fishes.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,959,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Thank you. My point was that north and south is completely relative. When I moved to SC, it was 500 miles north of where I was from. If anything, it was a little south on south humor that Florida (often the forgotten southern state) see states north of it's border as chilly and northern. Therein lies my serious point that I do find the climate there to be a little too cold for an abundance of pools the way you see in Florida.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
And I was absolutely being sarcastic. You calm down.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,899 times
I live in North Myrtle Beach, SC -- I can tell you that a lot of people actually prefer to utilize their pools the most in summer. And I'll bet you're asking yourself "Why would they do that, when they have the ocean?" A swimming pool is easier to access, and often offers a shaded area nearby. As opposed to the ocean, where without an umbrella, no protection from the sun and 100+ degree summer heat.

The reason I can think of that most people don't have their own pools is due to UPKEEP. A friend of mine has a in-ground pool in North Myrtle, and pine straw is constantly clogging is filter and consuming his pool if he doesn't keep up with it every single day.

Dec thru Feb are really the only months in South Carolina you can't use your pool. If you have a HEATED pool, it's safe to assume that you can use your pool March thru November.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 AM

142 posts, read 363,866 times
My pool stays the same temp as the ocean pretty much year around, when the ocean is 86 in the summer so is my pool, when it is 56 like right now so is my pool.

Gary

Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,694,168 times
Quote:

I used my pool the most February-May and September-November and the other months we didn't use it.

Also up until about 10-12 years ago there was some weird building code or insurance issue that made them cost prohibitive.

Growing up in Myrtle Beach, no one has a pool. We'd either pool hop on the boulevard or hang out at The Dunes Club pool.
We just put up a pool in Myrtle Beach. We don't mind swimming in the pool in all types of weather,even extremely hot weather. More heat the better.
We had no problem with any township codes. In fact back north there was much more to it with permits for everything, including electric.
Our HOA allowed the pool and I think an inground too.
With two small dogs I felt safer with an above ground.
Being on a lagoon area I didn't want to block the views so we centered it in the middle area.
We always had a pool in NJ and PA too. I'm sure we will get many more months of use here then back North. Very happy about that.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,209 times
Best pool ever! If I put in a pool, I want one of these:

HIDDEN WATER POOLS- Original Promo Video Footage - YouTube

Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,559,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Best pool ever! If I put in a pool, I want one of these:

HIDDEN WATER POOLS- Original Promo Video Footage - YouTube
I saw this when it was circulating on Facebook and it has got to be every swimmer's dream pool! I'd be interested to know if anyone has priced one of these. It'll never be in my financial future, but one can dream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area