Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,882,970 times

Advertisements

I live in Carolina Forest, we did pick this area because of the schools. My son is going into the Middles School next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,884,357 times
We moved here 4 1/2 years ago from Nassau Co. (Long Beach) and love it. We have been fortunate with employment. And there jobs out there but they do not pay nearly as much as those in NY & I have found that being active in the community opens up a lot of doors for work. Networking is key.

Just to give you something else to compare against... we have a 3500sqft home (5 br/3.5 bath) on nearly a half acre in Pawleys Island, Georgetown County.

Gas (propane for fireplace) paid $270 to fill 100gal tank but lasts about 2 years
Electric (heat & cooking included) avg is about $160 mo.
Car Ins: (2 cars less than 2 years old & moderate liability) $161 mo.
Personal property tax (2 cars): $480 annual
Phone/Internet/cable bundle w/ HBO: $240 mo.
Home owners Ins: $1200
Wind & Hail Ins (2% deductible on $420k replacement value): $2900 (my albatross)
R.E. taxes: $1180
HOA (no pool or any special amenities): $450 annual

NO TOLLS, cheaper fuel & much better roads. I had to pay the Atlantic Beach Bridge toll & tried to use one of the free East River crossings, but it tough. LIRR fees were so expensive as well.

We have been happy with the schools here. And the weather is more tolerable. Remember the summer is quite hot, although nice at the beach. This winter has been chilly here, but nothing like what you guys have experienced (Thanks goodness!)

Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 50,983 times
Thank you baylovers. My mom actually lives in long beach. Since she moved there a few years ago and getting to spend some time there i've been thinking that a beach town seems like a nice pace to live. But we really want to get out of NY. I'm in Elmont.. It's not bad, the schools are good..but I'm just down with it all, need a change...and quite frankly can't afford NY anymore. As for tolls my husband commutes to the Bronx everyday which puts him over either the Throgs Neck or the Whitestone..either of which is like about $8.50-$9.50 a day, and gas wasted sitting in traffic...it gets ridiculous. Plus we both get seasonal depression so this winter has been brutal. And it really helps to be planning ot make the move with his best friend and his family..I imaigin that could go long way in easing some homesickness.
Now, not to sound like a NY snob, becasue I'm really not...but I AM a pizza snob lol. I mean when I moved from Queens to Long Island I had a hard time finding a pizza place that I liked. Are there any pizza places you would recommend?....or a good deli?
Thanks to everyone for taking time to give me some feedback.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,882,970 times
The lst. thing we eat when we go back to NJ to visit is Pizza! We have found a few places with decent pizza, it still isn't the same as NJ/NY Pizza -

I really miss a bakery -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area