Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM

33 posts, read 100,077 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up. Surfside is an area we are considering. I am trying to avoid NMB if possible. Every time I have visited, which has mostly been in the warmer months, it has been congested in that area. I hate a lot of traffic but deal with it when I have to so I don't wanna be directly in the midst of it all. I like Surfside, Pawleys, Murrells etc. It's always seemed less busy when I've visited those areas as opposed to NMB.
Yes, HOA's are everywhere up here too, like a freaking plague! I will be renting when we get down there. I don't wanna plant roots somewhere and find I'm not happy with the neighborhood we moved into. I made that mistake once, bought a house in the "twilight zone" and thought I was going to lose my mind by the time we got out of there. I really don't want to do that again. No HOA is going to tell me I can't fly the American Flag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
To answer some of the questions.

Locals here have been raising and educating kids here for centuries. I graduated from Myrtle Beach High School and University of South Carolina. My stepson graduated from Socastee High School and then graduated from Ga Tech's school of engineering. Both of my stepdaughters graduated from Socastee and USC.

What you'll find here is an unusually high percentage of local kids go off to college and graduate. Why? Because there aren't a lot of union based or blue collar jobs available here.

Our education numbers as a state are skewed because EVERY kid in South Carolina takes the SAT not just those going off to college.

As to your autistic child, my best friend is home schooling her autistic child because that is the best thing she decided she could do for him.

As far as things for you kids to do here, every kid I know plays soccer and surfs. Your kids will do what the other kids are doing.

As far as wanting to avoid Atlantic Beach, no one lives there. It is pretty much a wasteland. It will not be difficult to avoid.

Yes, please do not trample the sea oats and the dunes. They are the first line of defense for us in case of hurricane or strong storm. More likely that you will be yelled at by a local for trampling them than be fined.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2riley View Post
Our oldest daughter had an IEP throughout her entire school education and I feel like it failed her (she is now an adult). She cannot even make correct change. I completely understand the desire to be sure your children are in appropriate schools! Unfortunately for us, my son will be coming from a public school with an "excellent" rating year after year to a flawed school system in SC (From what I understand). We may just continue with homeschooling??? We are DEFINATELY renting
Get spell check mom, also our school system is not flawed as a whole. Pockets, yes, overall no.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Default A spell check wasteland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Get spell check mom, also our school system is not flawed as a whole. Pockets, yes, overall no.
Right, everyone needs to get spell check! Haha!

And no one lives in Atlantic Beach!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area