Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 AM

33 posts, read 100,261 times

Advertisements

My husband asked that i post this question:

In regards to severe weather, how often is MB impacted by hurricanes. I know North Carolina sits out further than SC and usually takes a more direct impact from them. Here in MD we get the gale winds and some flooding on lower lying areas, usually more of a menace than anything. What is the typical hurricane impact down there, should we consider this when purchasing insurance?
Also, what about tornadoes? Are they frequent in the area? We were watching When Vacations Attack and they had a episode where they showed 2 tornadoes touch down in MB. This has him a little concerned, though not enough to change his mind. I think he's just curious as to the potential.
Lastly, are there areas that are more prone to flooding than others? Where we live here in MD we do get flooding although nothing signifigant usually. Although a few years ago we had a freak rainstorm drop a couple inches of rain very quickly which resulted in a group of older men rowing their paddle boats and a kayak through our back yard. I tried to snap a quick picture only to drop my camera into the water trying to stand on my deck rail, LOL!
At least could you tell me how to research this information on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,839,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird21078 View Post
My husband asked that i post this question:
Google is your friend -
Strikes by State Last 100 years
Landfall Probablity - Roughly 10 per 100 years for MB

Bottom line, none of that means anything. While there may be some long-term predictability to storm paths, the difference between a major strike and an inconsequential offshore fly-by is a few small degrees in the path. 10 storms per year is no big deal if they all miss you. One hurricane in 10 years is a big deal if it hits you. If you're gonna sweat hurricanes, the Southern coast is probably not a good place to live.

IMO, flooding is a similar situation, and FEMA maps are pretty well useless. The land is flat and there are a lot of rivers and streams. Storms can cause these bodies of water to rise rapidly. As development has overtaken the area, much of the wetlands that previously provided a buffer have been filled in, making the area more suspectible to flooding. Depending upon the location, mortgage companies may or may not require flood insurance. Quite a few other folks choose to carry flood insurance, depending upon their risk tolerance. Some of the worse hurricane damage this area has received in quite awhile was from Floyd in 1999(?), due almost exclusively to inland flooding, much of which was not in FEMA flood zones.

Ma Nature spares very few areas from worries of one kind or another. You gotta take the bad with the good.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 02-26-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM

31 posts, read 88,337 times
Hi hummingbird- I have been keeping an eye on your post as we are in a similar situation except that we are being transferred. I have had many of the same questions you have had and have (3) children coming with us (Our others are adults and in college). We are bringing a 16 yr old, 13 yr old and 6 yr old. Our 16 yr old and 6 yr old are homeschooled (6 yr old has been labeled gifted and has some quirky personality traits). My 13 yr old has been in a B&M school until a few weeks ago when we pulled him out to homeschool until next fall b/c of the move in a few weeks. Are you getting any closer to making a decision about the area?

Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM

we are definitely moving to the area with out question. I am just uncertain as to what part of MB. I was really hoping to gain more info from parents as to which school district would be best. I know i can always ask the schools and all but naturally they are going to promote themselves. They are gonna tell me that they are this and that but my autistic son is in an IOP school here because the school system cannot accommodated his needs. I want an honest opinion. That's what I am looking for. That's gonna the determining factor for us as to what area of MB we move to. No one has been able to answer that question for me yet.
As of right now, I'm looking at NMB, Surfside and lower. I want to stay away from the Atlantic Beach area honestly. The last time I was there we drove through that area and i would not wanna raise my kids around that sorta influence. That's just my personal opinion. Even the Conway area would be okay if i had a bit more input on it. We are gonna rent at first to make sure we are happy with the area, schools and neighborhood before we settle to a permanent location.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM

31 posts, read 88,337 times
We, too, are still up in the air about the "right" area for our family. However, I have never even visited and am doing all of my research online. Our oldest daughter had an IEP throughout her entire school education and I feel like it failed her (she is now an adult). She cannot even make correct change. I completely understand the desire to be sure your children are in appropriate schools! Unfortunately for us, my son will be coming from a public school with an "excellent" rating year after year to a flawed school system in SC (From what I understand). We may just continue with homeschooling??? We have 22 days to find a home and get moved-I have had so many of the same questions you have asked-I have been watching your thread to see if I find the answers I ,too, am looking for. We are DEFINATELY renting when we get there- since I have never even visited the area-I am going in without insight aside from that graciously provided to me from the wonderful posters on this site and a few nice realtors we have spoken with. Could you get any of your education questions answered by a social service agency or physician in the area??? Just a thought....

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM

I hadn't thought about contacting them. Since you mention it, it just popped in my head that i could probably gain a lot of info from the autism society's links page also on local school districts down there. Thanks for that suggestion. Now maybe i won't feel so lost on the subject.
I'll get busy on that in the next day or two and post an update on what i find out.
As for what more I've heard on the areas, i hear that lower MB from Surfside all the way down to Charleston are better as far as schools go. This is just from a few pm's i got and my sister is a teacher a few years out of college and has a few friends working in SC schools that she contacted with the question.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 AM

9 posts, read 59,327 times
I think there's a lot here for kids to do. We have the typical teen things -- movie theaters, parks, malls, bike trails, beach, piers, etc. -- and the tourist-y stuff, which you as a resident should get a discount on which makes it a lot of fun. Parks & Rec depts have sports and other classes, there's the typical music, dance, sports lessons, etc. We find the high school has a lot of activities available, and my daughter's music opps here (career-wise) are much better here than in CA as far as preparation and experience. It's quite a change for us from CA, as we're outside MB so things aren't as close, but they have the same basic things to do they had in CA, and that's saying a lot LOL

Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Yes, there's plenty of tourist stuff to do there. I have vacationed there several times so that i am familiar with. Eventually people tire of the tourist traps and want something else to do, even as vacationers. I was disappointed though to hear that the Hard Rock Park isn't operational as we as a family LOVE amusement parks, specifically the coasters and water rides. Maybe Cedar Fair would be interested in purchasing the park, as they did with Paramount Parks, and open it back up. That would certainly bring a multitude of jobs to the area and boost the economy. I asked a friend of mine, who is a 'roller coaster nerd', as he likes to call himself, and he said there was many reasons the park failed. He told me it was due to poor planning, wasn't very family oriented but more geared to adults, they didn't have much to offer ride wise and ticket prices were way out of line for the park and the area. That's a shame it didn't work out.
Our family enjoys living by the water and we can always find something to do involving the water and beach so as long as there's rec clubs and the like I'm sure we will be happy there. Thanks for all the input.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM

We have had a few small miracles happen and will be moving down next summer!!!!!! YAY ME!!!!!
Now for the serious question. My husband and I HATE homeowners associations, we refuse to pay a group of people to tell us we can't put a basketball hoop in our yard or what color our front door can be or what kinda fence we can put up. I don't need someone to cut my grass or maintain my landscaping either. I don't care if the people next door have an old car in their driveway they are fixing up or an above ground swimming pool. Hell if they wanna paint their house pink and yellow (although I never would!) they should be able to without people complaining. It's their house after all. Now mind you, I don't want to be in an area where kids are running out of control and parents just don't care but i don't want people to be in my business either. I want a respectable and affordable area, clean, decent, not nosy people but NO HOA. Suggestions?

We will be down in 2 months for a week to check out some areas and the schools. Also, can anyone recommend a realtor or property management company that's not gonna jerk us around? Someone who is fair and honest?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,897,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird21078 View Post
I want a respectable and affordable area, clean, decent, not nosy people but NO HOA. Suggestions?
Hummingbird, It isn't easy finding a place without an HOA, but I don't think it is impossible. I can't offer you information on particular places, but wanted to give you a heads-up on something I have noticed. Here in Surfside there are places east of 17 that do not have HOA's, but don't let that fool you. The town itself has many ordinances so in some ways it is a GIANT HOA all in itself. So if you are considering this area I would suggest you look into the rules / ordinances because there may be some that you just can't live with. I love so many things about Surfside, but like you I am not a fan of HOA's. I just rent, so it isn't a big issue for me right now. I can tell you, however, it has become very clear to me that the ones making all the rules here have WAY too much time on their hands. so, even though it meets much of your criteria, you may want to scratch Surfside Beach off your list.

I am glad things are working out for you. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area