Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,069 times

Advertisements

Hello, moving from upstate new york to andrews, south carolina, with our family. Our neighbors are wonderful and such a nice quiet town. My only concern is we are in williamsburgh county, but I want my children to go to andrews schools, the tution is outragious, is there another alternative for getting them to go to andrews school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM

846 posts, read 1,800,311 times
Andrews is a small town between I-95 and Georgetown on Highway 521. Andrews is actually in Georgetown County, not Williamsburg. There's not that much to do other than fish, hunt and watch HS sports. There used to be a Peebles department store (a small store in many Southern towns) but even that closed.

There's a Food Lion, I believe an IGA, a Family Dollar, Dollar General, a CVS, and a few fast-food places. That's about it there.

Georgetown is less than 20 miles, and it has all the necesities (Wal-Mart, Belk department store, and several different grocery stores). Inlet Square is the closest mall, less than an hour away, but even that is dying. You have to go to North Charleston and the Northwoods Mall area for any serious shopping. Coastal Grand in Myrtle Beach also is a very good mall.

Only about 3,000 people live there. There's one private school in Andrews, Andrews Christian School, K-8. Other than that, there's not many choices. The public schools in Andrews are decent, better than some of the other parts of Georgetown County, but normal for SC.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,879,563 times
Would you mind if I ask why you chose Andrews to move to?

Like JetsFan siad, the actual town of Andrews is in Georgetown County. It has really been effected by the recession & the last time I drove through it was really looking depressed. It is effected by small town politics and everyone knows everyone for a very long time. Not many northerners relocating to that area, either.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,069 times
Default why I moved there

We decided to move there because we wanted to be in a central location of mrytle beach and charleston and not far from the ocean but enough to be protected from the weather. We also chose it because of the price of the house, great price and a large peice of property, very nice neigbhors too, which we are pleased. The only problem is that we are on the boarder of williamsburgh county and georgetown county, so we pay williamsburgh taxes, and if I want my kids to go to school in andrews, I have to pay tution which is 5000 per child, which is rediculous.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 AM

255 posts, read 610,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
Andrews is a small town between I-95 and Georgetown on Highway 521. Andrews is actually in Georgetown County, not Williamsburg. There's not that much to do other than fish, hunt and watch HS sports. There used to be a Peebles department store (a small store in many Southern towns) but even that closed.

There's a Food Lion, I believe an IGA, a Family Dollar, Dollar General, a CVS, and a few fast-food places. That's about it there.

Georgetown is less than 20 miles, and it has all the necesities (Wal-Mart, Belk department store, and several different grocery stores). Inlet Square is the closest mall, less than an hour away, but even that is dying. You have to go to North Charleston and the Northwoods Mall area for any serious shopping. Coastal Grand in Myrtle Beach also is a very good mall.

Only about 3,000 people live there. There's one private school in Andrews, Andrews Christian School, K-8. Other than that, there's not many choices. The public schools in Andrews are decent, better than some of the other parts of Georgetown County, but normal for SC.
I have to disagree with you about Andrews is not part of Williamsburg County because it is. I live in Andrews but on the Williamsburg County side. Yes there are common necessities that this town has but if you need something high quality there is always Charleston and Myrtle Beach. You could compare Andrews with North Charleston (not size or quality but in the same analogy). You see, North Charleston is part of Charleston County as well as Dorchester County.

I also agree with you about having your kids in Georgetown County schools. If your kids are on my side they will have to go to St. Mark (its a great school but it is on the list to be shut down and its alternative is Hemingway) but Georgetown County schools are much a higher quality than Williamsburg. I can say this because I am a Williamsburg County teacher.

Last edited by augusto29556; 01-19-2011 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 AM

255 posts, read 610,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickkat45 View Post
We decided to move there because we wanted to be in a central location of mrytle beach and charleston and not far from the ocean but enough to be protected from the weather. We also chose it because of the price of the house, great price and a large peice of property, very nice neigbhors too, which we are pleased. The only problem is that we are on the boarder of williamsburgh county and georgetown county, so we pay williamsburgh taxes, and if I want my kids to go to school in andrews, I have to pay tution which is 5000 per child, which is rediculous.
Have you look into Hemingway's schools. The only bad schools in Williamsburg County are schools that are zoned in Kingstree except for Anderson Primary. I can say this because I am a teacher in a school that is zoned in Kingstree. Everything else after Anderson is pretty much going downhill from there. I went to Hemingway's schools for numerous professional development opportunities and their schools are definately diverse in terms of the students they receive. Also, the climate over at Hemingway is much more pleasant than Kingstree.

Last edited by augusto29556; 01-19-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area