Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
When Suburban_Guy said "Wars"... I think that he meant Infinity War(singular) instead of the Star Wars Solo movie. But yes... Infinity War is going to beat Black Panther domestically.... And how do I know this? Well, in addition to IW being a great movie with good word of mouth... and in addition to it having a built-in audience because it's an Avengers movie... this movie also has a built-in Black Panther audience. Also, a lot of people who went to see Black Panther are not super hero movie fans. Plus, as a matter of fact, I know some people who are not superhero/Avengers fans who are going to see the Avengers because they went to see Black Panther. And basically they went to see BP because it was an Afro-centric movie with a predominately black cast.

Also, I thought that Marvel/Disney was really smart to put out the Infinity War trailer/TV ad that featured Wakanda and the Wakanda chant, and rode the momentum and the success of the Black Panther movie, which I believe assisted in making IW such a BIG GLOBAL hit.
I'm not sure how much Black Panther helped Infinity War. I'm sure it did some, but for people who only saw Black Panther just because it was a black superhero; I'm not sure how many of those types of fans saw Infinity War. I think the genius of how Marvel made 18 great crossover films, and built up a global fanbase, is why a culmination film like Infinity War is dominating like it is globally. Black Panther is a big part of that success, but so are many other factors. In fact, the fact that Infinity War is maybe even or a little behind the pace of Black Panther domestically (I think that's what I heard) may represent the cultural importance of BP here in the US, and those who saw the film mostly due to it being a mainly black superhero cast. The fact that Infinity War is ahead of Black Panther in total, global numbers is due to the other factors. They were both great movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 07:30 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Yea what I was saying was that Infinity Wars is ahead of Black Panther in world box office gross, but still lags behind domestically, $548 million to $696 million.

I was simply responding to a previous poster that erroneously stated that Infinity Wars overtook Black Panther in all box office categories. Doesn't really make any difference to me, but just pointing out the facts so no need for anyone to take it personally.

Now, could Infinity still overtake Panther domestically? It still lags behind $148 million, not an insignificant amount. If no other potentially big movies were coming out in the next few weeks, sure, I think Infinity still has enough life and momentum left over including Memorial Day weekend to pass Panther. However, the experts at Box Office Prophets are leaning towards no, mainly because of the release of two potentially big movies in the next two weeks, Dead Pool 2 followed by the Solo movie.

But I think there's enough life left for Infinity Wars to eventually take over Black Panther.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:20 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yea what I was saying was that Infinity Wars is ahead of Black Panther in world box office gross, but still lags behind domestically, $548 million to $696 million.

I was simply responding to a previous poster that erroneously stated that Infinity Wars overtook Black Panther in all box office categories. Doesn't really make any difference to me, but just pointing out the facts so no need for anyone to take it personally.

Now, could Infinity still overtake Panther domestically? It still lags behind $148 million, not an insignificant amount. If no other potentially big movies were coming out in the next few weeks, sure, I think Infinity still has enough life and momentum left over including Memorial Day weekend to pass Panther. However, the experts at Box Office Prophets are leaning towards no, mainly because of the release of two potentially big movies in the next two weeks, Dead Pool 2 followed by the Solo movie.

But I think there's enough life left for Infinity Wars to eventually take over Black Panther.
But keep in mind that IW has only been out for 17 days compared to BP's 87 days:

MCU Top Openers

therefore, IW has a long, long way to go.

Plus, IW is ahead of BP on its 17th day compared to where BP was on its 17th day.

P.S. Also, no one is taking anything personally. I just enjoy talking about this stuff and sometimes express myself passionately in the words that I use.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Infinity War dominates in China. Huge opening!!!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/avenger...ina-1526233602

'Avengers: Infinity War' hits China, becomes fifth biggest film ever

Infinity War crushed it in China. In took in $200 million. It is the 5th largest film ever, and first film to ever break $1 billion overseas. $2 billion is definitely a strong possibility.

I knew this film would be big, but it exploded to a whole other level.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:15 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Another thing....how are "normal movies" going to compete with movies like this? It is becoming a "Be Huge or Go Home" scenario.
Their job is not to compete with Marvel, their job is to make their investors money.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:54 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Their job is not to compete with Marvel, their job is to make their investors money.
The fear is that some investors think that if they are not getting the same return on their investment that Stan Lee got then they are losers. And they pull out of movies since they are unwilling to settle for their base hits and doubles when Stan is hitting home runs. So those movies don't get made as everyone takes a big cut, and just like baseball most strikeout

Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The fear is that some investors think that if they are not getting the same return on their investment that Stan Lee got then they are losers. And they pull out of movies since they are unwilling to settle for their base hits and doubles when Stan is hitting home runs. So those movies don't get made as everyone takes a big cut, and just like baseball most strikeout
Do you also wonder why all stock investors are not buying only Amazon stock instead of any of the other 2800 stocks available on the NYSE? Why aren't all investors pulling out of the other stocks and buying only Amazon?

Because a share of Amazon costs $1,600, and less expensive stocks also make money for their investors.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you also wonder why all stock investors are not buying only Amazon stock instead of any of the other 2800 stocks available on the NYSE? Why aren't all investors pulling out of the other stocks and buying only Amazon?

Because a share of Amazon costs $1,600, and less expensive stocks also make money for their investors.
Plus, I think that after IW 2 (especially with some of the original cast set to retire), people will be ready for the next genre. So there will be room for others. As much as I loved the first Deadpool, I admit that after IW (which I loved), I’m not as excited about Deadpool 2. I’m thinking that after IW2 (which I can’t wait for), I will be ready for another genre of movies.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Avengers Infinity War, Biggest Summer Movie Of All Time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ovie-ever/amp/

Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,364 times
I saw it over the weekend. I’ve seen most of the Marvel movies, but I was pretty confused about the villain. My daughter started crying when Spider-Man/Peter Parker died. A new Spider-Man is in the works so presumably the remaining Avengers team up and managed to undo the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies