Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,301,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I tend to think the same way, except I'd express it particularly that those slain because of the Soul Stone--
Spoiler
including Gamora
--are in Soul Stone-verse rather than actually dead, and for that reason are retrievable.
Thank you for putting a spoiler edit on my post. I haven’t taken time to learn how to do that yet. I’ve edited my post to eliminate the spoiler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:05 PM

406 posts, read 289,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Everyone saw it coming. Bye bye Black Panther fanatics, we hardly knew ya.

This will easily be the highest grossing superhero movie of all time.
Your deep-seated hatred for Black Panther is cringeworthy.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 PM

24,841 posts, read 9,605,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Who watches the watchers? What do we do if Superman goes bad?
Who watches America? What does the world do if America goes bad and decides it wants to conquer the world?

War and destruction is what happens.

Quote:
And that's fine if you don't want to elevate the story about cartoon-fare for kids. Nothing wrong with that. But if the movies want to keep drawing in adults or even (gasp!) make a movie of real quality that will move audiences and stick in their minds for the rest of their lives, then they need to aim higher.
No argument there, problem is they're still confined to PG-13 and "superhero formula" movies.

I'd love to see a good superhero kill the wrong person or turn bad or become more complex. Again, they still have to stay within the formula because if they don't, you get movies like Infinity War where everyone is so sad and gloomy after the movie. "Oh no, the avengers took over the world and have used it enrich themselves instead of just saving the world." I can see society upset with that outcome.

Luckily, we are getting a few movies who go outside the superhero formula like Deadpool and Venom.

Quote:
They're settling for Good Guy Punch Bad Guy Till Bad Guy Fall Down.
Civil War didn't have that, and again in this movie, it was the bad guy who won.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:20 PM

24,841 posts, read 9,605,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Your deep-seated hatred for Black Panther is cringeworthy.
Perhaps if it wasn't overrated I wouldn't need to hate it.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:42 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Who watches America?
In theory: The Constitution and the will of the governed.

In reality: Multi-national corporations and special interest groups.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
I know we are essentially watching modern-day mythology, with wars amongst the gods. But even the Greeks knew that their best stories seldom involved the gods as main characters, but as movers and influencers. Their best stories were about vulnerable human beings. Marvel and DC need to take that lesson to heart.
Exactly what Ares is in Wonder Woman. Exactly.

We've seen great, great villains from DC over the years (and some not so great). DC is easily better than Marvel in that dept.

That said, Thanos is the first MCU villain I feel is worthy of my time since Loki. It only took them a decade to finally script somebody, with much help from creator Jim Starlin (I'm sure you saw that long standalone line thanking him in the credits), who didn't come off as one-note or an echo of the hero who's fighting him (you know, like Whiplash, nonMandarin, almost-Killian, Darren Cross aka Fake Yellowjacket). Barnes doesn't count because as the Winter Soldier he was being manipulated. Erik Killmonger was solid, but he was afforded many conveniences.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
Perhaps if it wasn't overrated I wouldn't need to hate it.
Even if you feel it's overrated, you don't need to hate it.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:12 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,926,948 times
They pulled off a really solid movie. It wasn't perfect, but considering that they had to tie in all of the different characters and movies, they did as solid of a job as they possibly could. Entertaining, great action, it was actually a dark Marvel movie that kept you on the edge. They also did a good job of keeping the twists a secret (although if you haven't seen it by now, the spoilers are bound to get out which completely takes away from the movie).

Thanos was a beast in every sense. He completely stole the show. The fact that they tied up 18 movies, 10 years in the way that they did was impressive.

They pulled it off, and it lived up to the hype.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:16 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Exactly what Ares is in Wonder Woman. Exactly.
True. But here is what makes me nervous about upcoming WW movies:

The heart of her character (her origin story) is … well, kinda boring. Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, etc. are all born out of trauma or tragedy. Many of them become heroes in attempt to either redeem a personal sin or to try to fit in to a society that doesn’t want them. It makes them compelling because their quest isn’t just about Beating the Bad Guy, but about filling an Inner Need.

What Inner Need does Wonder Woman have? She already knows who she is. She was born in order to defeat Ares. She did that. Now what? Just hang out and do good and be awesome? Not even the overflowing charm of Gal Gadot is going to be able to make that interesting for very long.

Not saying the writers can’t do it. But they definitely have a hurdle to jump with Wonder Woman that many other super heroes don’t have.

Quote:
We've seen great, great villains from DC over the years (and some not so great). DC is easily better than Marvel in that dept.
Are you talking about comics or movies?

In comics, Batman definitely has the best rogues gallery of any super hero --- although Spider-Man runs a real close second. But aside from Nolan's The Dark Knight, none of the movies have managed to bring the awesome DC villains to life. Lex Luthor ought to have been a formidable criminal mastermind and instead came across as the love child of Mark Zuckerberg and Jar Jar Binks. The weakest episode of Smallville still had a better Lex than anything we've seen on the big screen.

Quote:
That said, Thanos is the first MCU villain I feel is worthy of my time since Loki.
To each his own. I just don't find invulnerable gods all that interesting. A character who can't be hurt isn't very interesting.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 AM

1,762 posts, read 2,104,373 times
I just watched yesterday. I really enjoyed it but I'm glad there's a part 2 because I left feeling a little depressed.

Random little tidbit that others have not mentioned, one of my favorite little bits was teenage Groot with his video game and Rocket telling him to stop playing because it was going to rot his brain. LOL! I love those two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies