Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,632,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The one I fear for honestly and this is not a knock on Brie Larson is Captain Marvel due to Wonder Woman. I think WW may hurt the Captain rather than help it, especially if the movie isn't that good. Luckily, Carol Danvers could easily go into say Guardians of the Galaxy like she did in the comics before Secret Wars.
Captain Marvel will be an origin movie, but not a solo outing. I expect a host of other characters to "help out."

Old 06-27-2017, 10:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Captain Marvel will be an origin movie, but not a solo outing. I expect a host of other characters to "help out."
I haven't heard the details on it honestly due to little to no announcements besides Brie being Carol Danvers and the writer being that woman from Guardians of the Galaxy. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt for those two...

Old 06-27-2017, 10:17 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have an iffy feeling about the Black Panther production. I was a BP fan when he first whipped the FF in the 60s. But looking at the trailer, it looks like they just threw a lot of Africa-ish stuff into the mix without actually doing any study of what a cohesive culture would actually look like.

"Does this look African to you? Awesome!"
You nailed it, that is exactly how I felt when I watched the trailer, so meh. It could have been anyplace actually, and would have shown the same tired, stale CGI action stealth sequences.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
I loved Black Panther in Captain America Civil War, and from the comics. I am really looking forward to the movie, but have to admit, I wasn't blown away by the trailer. I had really high hopes but it just didn't look like anything special. I'm really hoping the movie is good.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:55 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I loved Black Panther in Captain America Civil War, and from the comics. I am really looking forward to the movie, but have to admit, I wasn't blown away by the trailer. I had really high hopes but it just didn't look like anything special. I'm really hoping the movie is good.
I feel the same, the trailer was unremarkable, hope the future trailers offers up something better to look forward to.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,045 times
Hmmm. I'm just wondering what kind of preview was everyone expecting.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Hmmm. I'm just wondering what kind of preview was everyone expecting.
Something more captivating and interesting. The premier trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2 (even though there ended up being like 10 trailers lol) looked great and based off the trailer(s), I was pretty sure it would be a great movie, which it was. Even the Spider-Man homecoming trailer has me interested in seeing the movie, and I'm not a huge Spider man fan (Wonder Woman was similar).

Not saying it will be a bad movie (I hope it is good), but I wasn't blown away by the trailer. Evaluating the trailer to the same expectations of what I expect from every other comic film, and I wasn't super impressed. Sorry!

Old 06-28-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Something more captivating and interesting. The premier trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2 (even though there ended up being like 10 trailers lol) looked great and based off the trailer(s), I was pretty sure it would be a great movie, which it was. Even the Spider-Man homecoming trailer has me interested in seeing the movie, and I'm not a huge Spider man fan (Wonder Woman was similar).

Not saying it will be a bad movie (I hope it is good), but I wasn't blown away by the trailer. Evaluating the trailer to the same expectations of what I expect from every other comic film, and I wasn't super impressed. Sorry!
But to be honest with you, that's the way the BP comic book was. Also, some people were saying that they remember the BP comic book in the 60s and that the BP comic book seemed better than what these previews are showing, but that's exactly the way that the BP origin story was: T’Challa is in Africa(although in the comic books, his father gets killed in Africa), his city is very wealthy and technologically advanced, he has rivals and enemies such as Ulysses Klaue, although it looks like Erik Killmonger/N'Jadaka will be his primary African rival instead of Man-Ape who appears to have a lesser role. But it looks like T’Challa and N'Jadaka will fight it out to see who ends up on top.

And that's basically what the movie looks like it's going to be about. Therefore, I don't see what else people are expecting.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 PM

28,695 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
But to be honest with you, that's the way the BP comic book was. Also, some people were saying that they remember the BP comic book in the 60s and that the BP comic book seemed better than what these previews are showing, but that's exactly the way that the BP origin story was: T’Challa is in Africa(although in the comic books, his father gets killed in Africa), his city is very wealthy and technologically advanced, he has rivals and enemies such as Ulysses Klaue, although it looks like Erik Killmonger/N'Jadaka will be his primary African rival instead of Man-Ape who appears to have a lesser role. But it looks like T’Challa and N'Jadaka will fight it out to see who ends up on top.

And that's basically what the movie looks like it's going to be about. Therefore, I don't see what else people are expecting.
Back in the 60s, I could get over Lee and Kirby, working out of a little room in Brooklyn, not getting culture right. Heck, that was before most black Americans were even "awoke." I didn't start my 'Fro for another couple of years.

But these days, good movies do a good job of world-creation. Take Avatar, for instance. What I see in the BP trailer, as I said, looks like a lot of "Is this African? I think it's African. Let's use it!"

I suspect a lot of Africans will say, "Um, that style is from x-country...it would never go with that other style because their relationship to nature is totally different from one another."

Old 06-28-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Back in the 60s, I could get over Lee and Kirby, working out of a little room in Brooklyn, not getting culture right. Heck, that was before most black Americans were even "awoke." I didn't start my 'Fro for another couple of years.

But these days, good movies do a good job of world-creation. Take Avatar, for instance. What I see in the BP trailer, as I said, looks like a lot of "Is this African? I think it's African. Let's use it!"
I don't understand. Are you saying that a technically advanced city is still suppose to look like an African city? And if yes, then what is an African city suppose to look like?

Quote:
I suspect a lot of Africans will say, "Um, that style is from x-country...it would never go with that other style because their relationship to nature is totally different from one another."
Sorry, but I guess I still don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies