Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 06:19 AM

253 posts, read 200,169 times

Advertisements

America has this "Me first" attitude where if anyone "cuts the line" it creates a road rage situation.

Yet the majority of the world allows filtering or splitting.

California/Utah have it legalized and they're fine.

Arguments I hear are against:
-that it's dangerous and mirrors will be broken or car sides swiped.(Can happen with cars too)
-That car drivers don't want to worry about what is essentially an extra lane and having to look over all the time.(You're supposed to check your mirrors anyway)
-That the sudden noise is scary or it feels too close( If you ride a bike you know there's plenty of space. Try it before you hate it)
-From bikes themselves I hear " I would never do it" Yet technically they don't have to. It would be an option like wearing a helmet in a no helmet state.

Arguments for it are:
-Creates less traffic. That's one less spot in a traffic jam being clogged up. So imagine 6 bikes being able to pass through. That's 6 spots that were once cars in a traffic jam, alleviated. Extrapolate that to a couple hundred and it makes a difference
-In the age of smart phones. People are on their phones all the time during crawling commutes. Fender benders aren't a big deal in a car, but they can hurt you on a bike. Splitting lanes would prevent that.
-Time saving for the biker. Promotes biking. Bikes consume less gas. Less carbon footprint, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:45 AM

10,317 posts, read 6,861,305 times
LOL, and this from a guy in Chicago?

But, you are correct, there's a strategy to lane splitting that actually reduces the risk to riders. I've been doing it since 1976....maybe 1975, I dunno.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
LOL, and this from a guy in Chicago?

But, you are correct, there's a strategy to lane splitting that actually reduces the risk to riders. I've been doing it since 1976....maybe 1975, I dunno.
What does me being from Chicago mean?

I think biking comes first lol.

Old 03-27-2021, 02:33 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,861,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
What does me being from Chicago mean?

I think biking comes first lol.
Lane splitting legal in Ill?

Old 03-27-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Lane splitting legal in Ill?
No. Hence why I want it legalized and people to chime in. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:37 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
I agree, and have lived to tell the tale after decades of splitting in LA.

That said, I've seen some horrific accidents (fatalities) as a direct result, so I hope YMMV.

The rest of the world also has a different mentality surrounding MCs and driving in general, which, we dont' share here in the US, so that definitely plays a part.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:31 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,168,573 times
After 30+ years riding in CA I have at least 100,000 miles on the line. Mod cut...........a few out of state uninformed slide over and block the lane thinking they are the lane split police........always a fun challenge.......just wait and pass on the other side making them look like idiots. The white line was actually started in the 40's by the air cooled Harley riding CHP!........yes the cops started the whole thing God blesse'm. It's actually safer on the line than parked at the tail end of stopped cars waiting to get crushed by some soccer mom on her phone. It works well because on most bikes you can see over the cars and a half mile down the line, and so able to dodge the sketchy situations. It does require intense focus you mentally wandering allowed.......the CHP bikes do it all day long at 80+ and sometimes 110mph.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-03-2021 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Reference to troll post which has been deleted.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,168,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
After 30+ years riding in CA I have at least 100,000 miles on the line. [Snip.].........a few out of state uninformed slide over and block the lane thinking they are the lane split police........always a fun challenge.......just wait and pass on the other side making them look like idiots. The white line was actually started in the 40's by the air cooled Harley riding CHP!........yes the cops started the whole thing God blesse'm. It's actually safer on the line than parked at the tail end of stopped cars waiting to get crushed by some soccer mom on her phone. It works well because on most bikes you can see over the cars and a half mile down the line, and so able to dodge the sketchy situations. It does require intense focus you mentally wandering allowed.......the CHP bikes do it all day long at 80+ and sometimes 110mph.
addendum......110mph is just filtering thru our fabulous freeway traffic.........

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-03-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-31-2021, 08:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Isn't splitting lanes in California only legal below certain speeds? And they aren't very high. I think as low as 25mph on the freeways. Anyway, I live in Virginia and am baffled they don't allow splitting lanes out here. You think L.A. traffic is bad? Come visit the D.C. area. And despite having some of the worst traffic in the country Virginia doesn't allow splitting lanes.

Worth noting: I don't even own a motorcycle and think below certain speeds those on bikes should be able to split lanes. Of course you always will have guys who are going 50 while everyone else is sitting still. You shouldn't make make or not make a law on the outliers though. Most guys/gals on a bike just want to get to where they're going safely like anyone else.

Also, in states where splitting lanes is legal, I'd favor traffic fines for drivers who impede motorcycle traffic. I've never understood the mindset of someone who feels that, since they have to wait in traffic, others using a more compact mode of transportation should have to as well. But the proclivity to do that is probably a product of a larger issue when behind the wheel (I'd be willing to bet there's a high correlation between people who impede splitting lanes and people who engage in other, more risky forms of road rage). You start fining these people and eventually suspending licenses and maybe you can make positive changes to overall driving habits.

I know. I know. I'm living in a fantasy land.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:01 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,607,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Isn't splitting lanes in California only legal below certain speeds? And they aren't very high. I think as low as 25mph on the freeways.
Common misconception, but not correct. This came about since CHP used to "recommend" (i.e. should, not can't) lane splitting no greater than 10mph above the flow of traffic. That said, basic speed law still applies, as does unsafe speed, which can both be cited while lane splitting. Its also worth mentioning that weaving in and out of highway traffic is not lane splitting.

There is no speed provision in the VC:

(a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles