Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times

Advertisements

I have talked to alot of scooter and motorcycle riders in California and the thing they really like is the fact that lane splitting is decriminalized in California, as long as the rider is careful (not going too fast through traffic). It helps with the traffic. In the UK and Europe it is legal and normal behavior. The advantages are obvious- it saves on gas and keeps traffic flowing. To clarify what lane splitting is, it is passing a non-moving or slow-moving car on a two-wheeler in the same lane. I've encountered a few situations where it would be useful, for example where a string of cars is blocking an entrance on the right to a gas station or a turn. I've noticed alot of cars in Florida do this when I'm on a bike at an intersection, I don't believe it is legal even in states or countries that allow lane splitting as the motorcyclists assumes most of the vulnerability, but heck people do it if you are in a car too, so it isn't unique to motorcycles.

In case you think this behavior in unsafe, the famous Hurt Report, the first comprehensive study of motorcycle safety in southern California in the late 70's, found that lane splitting wasn't assosciated with any more accidents than sitting in traffic. The risks of hiting a car pulling into your path are about the same as the risks of being rear-ended. It isn't something for the inexperienced rider but doesn't seem to be any less safe than sitting in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
I do it all the time on a bicycle here, but never would
in moving traffic. Yikes..no way !!! FL drivers dont know
what an indicator is and will change lanes even if the light
is red 500 yards up the road. Crazy !!! I can make it from
Riviera Beach to PGa Blvd on a Friday afternoon in the same
amount of time as a car due to the traffic.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Well, it is obnoxious. All vehicles should wait their turn.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
I do it all the time on a bicycle here, but never would
in moving traffic. Yikes..no way !!! FL drivers dont know
what an indicator is and will change lanes even if the light
is red 500 yards up the road. Crazy !!! I can make it from
Riviera Beach to PGa Blvd on a Friday afternoon in the same
amount of time as a car due to the traffic.

I've had that happen to me (cars changing lanes at the last minute at an intersection). You just have to stay alert at intersections. Look out for gaps because cars tend to fill them. It is rude behavior but you can't control other people- not until we get more traffic cops on the road anyways.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I have talked to alot of scooter and motorcycle riders in California and the thing they really like is the fact that lane splitting is decriminalized in California, as long as the rider is careful (not going too fast through traffic). It helps with the traffic. In the UK and Europe it is legal and normal behavior. The advantages are obvious- it saves on gas and keeps traffic flowing. To clarify what lane splitting is, it is passing a non-moving or slow-moving car on a two-wheeler in the same lane. I've encountered a few situations where it would be useful, for example where a string of cars is blocking an entrance on the right to a gas station or a turn. I've noticed alot of cars in Florida do this when I'm on a bike at an intersection, I don't believe it is legal even in states or countries that allow lane splitting as the motorcyclists assumes most of the vulnerability, but heck people do it if you are in a car too, so it isn't unique to motorcycles.

In case you think this behavior in unsafe, the famous Hurt Report, the first comprehensive study of motorcycle safety in southern California in the late 70's, found that lane splitting wasn't assosciated with any more accidents than sitting in traffic. The risks of hiting a car pulling into your path are about the same as the risks of being rear-ended. It isn't something for the inexperienced rider but doesn't seem to be any less safe than sitting in traffic.

It makes perfect sense what you explain, in a normal American society. But remember in FL, specially the south, we deal everyday with special people from other planets who don't share the same critical thinking or common sense; example, cutting off traffic, crossing with red lights, no using turn signals, using merge lanes as extra lanes, etc.....third world. So no, lane splitting should not be allowed in FL.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:50 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Well, it is obnoxious. All vehicles should wait their turn.
this is why I would NEVER lane split in florida. It would infuriate someone and God only knows how they would/could respond.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:02 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,336 times
These same people who get mad at lane splitters arent smart enuff
to know they are actually doing them a favor. Its one less vehicle to
wait behind or hold you up. People who say "everyone should wait their
turn" are the first people to hit the horn or yell something if they feel
they are being inconvenienced from arriving at the next jammed up
stoplite 500 yards up the road.
Yeah....yer time is soooo much more precious than mine that you can slow down to yell something .....

I used to say 50% of the people who drive really shouldnt be allowed to,
but after living here a few months I would up that to 80%.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 AM

88 posts, read 413,859 times
Lane splitting should be allowed as it is proven to not be any more dangerous. Lane splitting was prohibited simply because the government believes they know what is best for you, your family and the rest of the population. This regulation is brought to you by the same people who believe you should pay every last cent of your income in taxes . . . because they know best.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,172 times
You know that also there are studies that show allow lane splitting deceases your change of being rear ended by 30%. Cars are more likely to rear end someone on a bike than someone in a car. It's harder to see a bike brake light than a car with 2/3 brake lights. It's much easier to just not even see the bike in front of you. Lots of reasons why, but it's safer for a rider to split lanes than sit in traffic.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,260 times
You people are all nuts. Risking your lives just to get somewhere a little quicker, or like most of you just to prove a point. You all have families, and when your dead, its not up to you to go tell them that you died doing stupid things. Rear ending? why not just ride closer to the solid line on the right or even to the left which would be out of target for a vehicle coming in the rear. Point is...you do it because you want, and because you can on that bike that takes 1/3 of the room a car does. but that car, bigger and weighing in at more than twice that of yours is going to win. Regardless of a blind spot, an ******* driver that sees you coming and arogently cuts you off. Doesn't matter what the scenerio is...you will loose, Its not safe, end of story. legal or not. Your asking for it. Rather you sit in traffic and get home safe, than ride like an ass and not make it home at all. Eventually your luck will run out. God bless, you and your families. Please remember while gambling, never bet when the odds are stacked against you, and in the case of "lane splitting", Well, for lack of better words...you have no odds. Even at 15 mph...it is deadly, but anyways, its your life. Regardless of who is at fault, insurances will pay and life goes on...except yours. Yours can to a tragic end. Please think about this. As a rider, I want to see us all rise above the cagers, put an end to all the things they say about us. And with every bad end, the story comes out of how yet another dies riding a bike, scares new riders to not even try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: