Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:47 PM

56 posts, read 70,342 times

Advertisements

I agree the whole town has a ton of potential thats what makes it all the more frustrating. As someone stated previously the commissioners are creating an environment in which the incentives are for the downtrodden and those entities that support them as opposed to creating a business/community friendly downtown. Metered parking for example, they dont have metered parking in NYC make it two hour parking. The Chipotle building with the appatments above will help but the big miss was not letting that company from Cali build on the VFW site, or when they denied the 8 story apartment complex on the empty lot near Sheetz. Downtown needs density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 PM

36 posts, read 51,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
After using all of those services, they proceed to squat on High Street during the evenings to sponge money off of drunk college students.

I've had friends that have been harassed by the bums that lurk around the railtrail & Decker's Creek area. It's a ticking time bomb.
I ran the deckers creek trail on Saturday and there was a messed up female nude under the High Street bridge screaming and cursing. Another gentleman called the police to check on her but another guy that lives near by said it was a common occurrence. Not sure if I wanna run that way anymore.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngman86 View Post
Agree with all of the above. City council time and time again have done everything to stifle residential development of the downtown area because of the old money interest. Meanwhile they do nothing to stop the Bartlett House from expanding or adding new beds. Downtown is basically a big homeless refuge at this point. The Bartlett House is a big business with each bed comes more money from government. Then on top of that you have Christian Help handing out clothes, Health Right handing out needles, the church proving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, Salvation Army Breakfast Lunch and Dinner. Building serving as a "living room" and the thanks the residents get is being accosted for money, physically threatened, pissed on store fronts, people defecating on the streets, dirty needles, increased theft, a bludgeoning to death of a halfway house room mate, a shooting in a parking lot, both of those incidents by out of state homeless. Its an unmitigated disaster that needs to be addressed but this council doesn't have a clue as to how to address these issues.
What you are describing I have heard called in other areas "The Homeless Industrial Complex". These groups feed off one another and unfortunately make the problem worse. They also have plenty of political connections.

It makes me mad as there are so many nice restaurants downtown and you can walk around in the summer. The OP gave an accurate description with a new type of "aggressive strung out looking" bunch we are seeing now.

The city council and the cops do nothing. The Bartlett House has strict rules they enforce and even they don't tolerate it. People are not allowed in if they are intoxicated or belligerent. So everyone else who wants to patronize the businesses has to put up with it.

IDK, the politicians may be under too much pressure from the people that support it. This topic came up again on the Mon Preston Rumor Mill yesterday (for about the third time in 3 weeks). 190+ posts of mostly arguing. Even when one guy said he can't take his family downtown anymore some berated him. He gave much detail; said he was at the Clutch Wings outdoor area, his kids had to see a man who had defecated on himself also shout obscenities at traffic the whole time. He had bad experiences at Cold Stone too. I couldn't believe some were replying, "Look, someone whining again because the homeless are interfering with you eating ice cream".

WOW. I know most of those causing problems aren't our local homeless. I also have to wonder where the people are coming from that have these ideas. They are not helping this town either and bringing their own bad element with the constant attacks/guilt trips on people that want to clean it up.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:44 AM

53 posts, read 52,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
The city council and the cops do nothing. The Bartlett House has strict rules they enforce and even they don't tolerate it. People are not allowed in if they are intoxicated or belligerent. So everyone else who wants to patronize the businesses has to put up with it.
The city council is too busy with pet projects that don't help the community at large. I am still amazed that Brazaitis had the gall to try to get the city to buy the forest behind his house. When that failed, he wanted to spend millions on a massive upgrade to the ice rink. And he was sure to go on the news to let everyone know that he rubs shoulders with the Harvard ice skating coach

The "bike markers" on the road in the nicer parts of Morgantown tell me all I need to know about the city council. How much was wasted on that? Not creating bike paths or anything, but just slapping on bike symbols on the pavement everywhere. It honestly looks like a joke!

If the city just wants to burn money, how about building a children's museum? You know, something that could get people from the surrounding area to actually visit?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7845 View Post
The city council is too busy with pet projects that don't help the community at large. I am still amazed that Brazaitis had the gall to try to get the city to buy the forest behind his house. When that failed, he wanted to spend millions on a massive upgrade to the ice rink. And he was sure to go on the news to let everyone know that he rubs shoulders with the Harvard ice skating coach

The "bike markers" on the road in the nicer parts of Morgantown tell me all I need to know about the city council. How much was wasted on that? Not creating bike paths or anything, but just slapping on bike symbols on the pavement everywhere. It honestly looks like a joke!

If the city just wants to burn money, how about building a children's museum? You know, something that could get people from the surrounding area to actually visit?
You're right. The city council needs to knock it off with the pet projects and the national level social issues they get bogged down on. They only need to be focused on their own back yard. They are failing miserably at that. Too many on council are from the University. The cycle will begin again in about a month; thousands of new people will arrive here, see people on the street and scream for more programs to help them. As has been posted here, we already have plenty of programs.

Our local homeless (the true definition here - people who for whatever reason find themselves without a home) are scared of the transients from out of town that are welcomed here too. Some post online about it when they get back on their feet. Many are single mothers or even pregnant women. Thank goodness we live in a society where they have a place to go and don't have to panhandle. That's why you don't see them on the street.

You are SO right about appearances like bike markers to give a "good impression". It's a joke. When it comes to other issues that are obviously giving a bad impression - nothing. I can only post what will be considered hearsay, but a business owner told me he called the cops due to so many young, strung out looking loud men on the street in front of his business. Shoppers were of course crossing to the other side of the street to avoid them. The cops said, "Sorry, but city council told us they have just as much right to be here as anyone else."

What do visitors think? I must give off a friendly vibe or something as I get asked for directions a lot when downtown even when others are around. (BTW, this is effecting me too as I am less inclined to make eye contact with people as I am being hassled for money too much) The biggest place I get asked about is the Met Theatre from people who have never been here. Many parents and grandparents of students will be downtown too soon. I regularly see people snapping photos in front of the Old Stone House (oldest property in Mgtn) so museum type places do attract visitors.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:49 PM

53 posts, read 52,805 times
Quote:
You're right. The city council needs to knock it off with the pet projects and the national level social issues they get bogged down on. They only need to be focused on their own back yard. They are failing miserably at that. Too many on council are from the University. The cycle will begin again in about a month; thousands of new people will arrive here, see people on the street and scream for more programs to help them. As has been posted here, we already have plenty of programs.
The problem of having people from the University on the council is that it - on average - attracts people who love to hear themselves talk and who love to virtue signal. I've watched council meetings and read posts from members online and I'm amazed at the amount of digital ink that has been spilled over the most banal of topics.

I honestly don't look at the Facebook groups anymore as it gets old to see multiple essays of 1k-2k+ words debating things like removing some cherry trees on the waterfront But they debate the small stuff because they know they don't have solutions to the big things. You know, the stuff that deals with actually generating positive results for the average city citizen.

However, the council will continue to attract University types as they are the only ones with enough flexibility in their day jobs to structure it around their council duties, and not the other way around. I mean didn't Brazaitis pretty much get a free $80k+ from WVU last year since they wouldn't let him on campus to teach/work, but they still had to keep paying him due to tenure? Sounds like a great gig!

And now the council is trying to yet again force annexation, but I honestly couldn't tell you what the average citizen gets from this beyond being absorbed in a bureaucracy that has way too many council workgroups for every little thing and always needs more money for its little pet projects.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM

491 posts, read 610,012 times
Quote:
The problem of having people from the University on the council is that it - on average - attracts people who love to hear themselves talk and who love to virtue signal. I've watched council meetings and read posts from members online and I'm amazed at the amount of digital ink that has been spilled over the most banal of topics.

I honestly don't look at the Facebook groups anymore as it gets old to see multiple essays of 1k-2k+ words debating things like removing some cherry trees on the waterfront But they debate the small stuff because they know they don't have solutions to the big things. You know, the stuff that deals with actually generating positive results for the average city citizen.

However, the council will continue to attract University types as they are the only ones with enough flexibility in their day jobs to structure it around their council duties, and not the other way around. I mean didn't Brazaitis pretty much get a free $80k+ from WVU last year since they wouldn't let him on campus to teach/work, but they still had to keep paying him due to tenure? Sounds like a great gig!

And now the council is trying to yet again force annexation, but I honestly couldn't tell you what the average citizen gets from this beyond being absorbed in a bureaucracy that has way too many council workgroups for every little thing and always needs more money for its little pet projects.
The City of Morgantown needs to fix what they have before going all in on a blatant cash grab. Beautify downtown, cleanup the junky properties around Richwood Ave/Dairy Mart, Sunnyside, & Greenmont, add more street lighting, and finish the paving projects.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:

You are spot on with all of this post. They do it a lot on many issues, but I have noticed the virtue signaling goes into overdrive with this particular topic.

If you cut through all of the BS we all know there is a solution. A noticeable police presence during the day (I see more at night when students are downtown) that reminds people not to loiter or pester people with panhandling. Also not tolerating tents being erected along the rail trails.

I have worked downtown for almost 20 years now so I have seen this problem evolve. The police were more involved even just a few years ago. I used to see one sketchy guy regularly who appeared homeless so I simply asked a policeman, "What's his deal?" He told me the whole backstory; cops talk to everybody (if around) and know. I was told there was mental illness at play but he seemed harmless, didn't panhandle or bother people. The police said his sister owned a business downtown and she had tried numerous times to help him. They had her contact info if there were any problems. After that, I felt safe and also got info that he was safe too.

I heard something else today that shows how out of control things are getting. Apparently transients have erected more tents along the river. This time above the rail trails on River Road. They are now camping on the ACTUAL ROAD where it is closed due to the slide. LOL (Is it easier to cook meth on asphalt???) I guess many people didn't know due to the closure. They started a fire, so when smoke was noticed the fire dept. was called and had to go put it out.

WTH? How can the city waste time with all of their trivial, boring first world issues when all of these third world ones are surrounding them not being addressed? BTW, another dead body was found around the trails today (in the area below the beauty college) so they might pay attention for a week or so.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:33 AM

202 posts, read 218,253 times
Quote:
You are spot on with all of this post. They do it a lot on many issues, but I have noticed the virtue signaling goes into overdrive with this particular topic.

If you cut through all of the BS we all know there is a solution. A noticeable police presence during the day (I see more at night when students are downtown) that reminds people not to loiter or pester people with panhandling. Also not tolerating tents being erected along the rail trails.

I have worked downtown for almost 20 years now so I have seen this problem evolve. The police were more involved even just a few years ago. I used to see one sketchy guy regularly who appeared homeless so I simply asked a policeman, "What's his deal?" He told me the whole backstory; cops talk to everybody (if around) and know. I was told there was mental illness at play but he seemed harmless, didn't panhandle or bother people. The police said his sister owned a business downtown and she had tried numerous times to help him. They had her contact info if there were any problems. After that, I felt safe and also got info that he was safe too.

I heard something else today that shows how out of control things are getting. Apparently transients have erected more tents along the river. This time above the rail trails on River Road. They are now camping on the ACTUAL ROAD where it is closed due to the slide. LOL (Is it easier to cook meth on asphalt???) I guess many people didn't know due to the closure. They started a fire, so when smoke was noticed the fire dept. was called and had to go put it out.

WTH? How can the city waste time with all of their trivial, boring first world issues when all of these third world ones are surrounding them not being addressed? BTW, another dead body was found around the trails today (in the area below the beauty college) so they might pay attention for a week or so.
The answer to all these problem are amazingly simple. Enforce laws already on the books with zero tolerance. But the virtue-signalling city council and powers that be won't do it. Funny how you rarely see a cop out downtown during the day even though their station is right there.

The local business owners have to be frustrated. The disposable income/sahm crowd that shopped downtown doesn't really want to go down there anymore.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
The answer to all these problem are amazingly simple. Enforce laws already on the books with zero tolerance. But the virtue-signalling city council and powers that be won't do it. Funny how you rarely see a cop out downtown during the day even though their station is right there.

The local business owners have to be frustrated. The disposable income/sahm crowd that shopped downtown doesn't really want to go down there anymore.
You are right, it is very simple. It is also paid for. One of the things the $3 city user fee funds is more police officers.

Some of the business owners have posted on social media about the vagrancy. One was trying to get other owners to organize and go to city council. I am not a fan of those forums either but useful topics come up occasionally. Due to the fact it will be automatically twisted into a "human rights" issue from the virtue signalers many may be reluctant to participate in a televised council meeting.

I have to wonder if there is more going on behind the scenes. I mentioned the one business owner who called the police and was told, "City council told us they have rights too". Comments like that combined with the City Fire Chief's notable appearance during the $5 million Haymaker purchase debate leads me to think there is much frustration between council and the various departments. It was an embarrassment to the council for him to show up and point out a lack of funding for a basic service like the fire department at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown