Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times

Advertisements

Morgantown is experiencing much of what Fairmont and Clarksburg experienced years, even decades ago.

Some of us watched for years as city and county rolled over to have their bellies tickled by developers. Local media (especially the Dominion Post) trumpeted every square yard of asphalt laid down as some sort of latter-day economic miracle.

Local media would praise the arrival of this or that unnecessary junk food outlet and then, without any apparent irony, run stories about how bad traffic was getting. Inside the 68/79 'fork' it could reasonably be asserted that the only expressways or boulevards capable of handling any volume were Don Knotts Dr/Mon Blvd/Jerry West, Patteson Dr and especially Rt 705 which gave a few fleeting seconds of the sensation of movement from one section of town to another except, perhaps at rush hour.

Surprisingly - but not really - permission was given to build the Suncrest Town Centre. And then there was the fiasco with a consolidated school at Fiasco Junction ie Mileground/705.

Along Patteson Dr/Van Voorhis Rd there was the farce that resulted in stop lights literal feet from each other near the hospitals. Traffic engineering clowns actually claimed in print that it would better facilitate the flow of traffic. Right - and trying to flush a Timberland work boot will make your toilet more efficient.

Places like West Run Rd were little more than golf cart paths and permission was inexplicably given to build massive complexes on roads that never had a prayer of handling the volume. Residents in the eastern part of the county formed groups like First Things First and pleaded for something like the Pastureland Parkway that would (probably) involve moving the WVU Agricultural Farm elsewhere (there's plenty of rural space in Mon County still) and getting a decent, direct connector from Evansdale to I-68.

Despite all the above problems, most of them self-inflicted, downtown kind of held its own for those within a certain proximity. And then the mania for big box development led to the University Town Centre and the buildup of the Westover exit and downtown was well on its way to its present condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 07:41 AM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangle12 View Post
Morgantown is experiencing much of what Fairmont and Clarksburg experienced years, even decades ago.

Some of us watched for years as city and county rolled over to have their bellies tickled by developers. Local media (especially the Dominion Post) trumpeted every square yard of asphalt laid down as some sort of latter-day economic miracle.

Local media would praise the arrival of this or that unnecessary junk food outlet and then, without any apparent irony, run stories about how bad traffic was getting. Inside the 68/79 'fork' it could reasonably be asserted that the only expressways or boulevards capable of handling any volume were Don Knotts Dr/Mon Blvd/Jerry West, Patteson Dr and especially Rt 705 which gave a few fleeting seconds of the sensation of movement from one section of town to another except, perhaps at rush hour.

Surprisingly - but not really - permission was given to build the Suncrest Town Centre. And then there was the fiasco with a consolidated school at Fiasco Junction ie Mileground/705.

Along Patteson Dr/Van Voorhis Rd there was the farce that resulted in stop lights literal feet from each other near the hospitals. Traffic engineering clowns actually claimed in print that it would better facilitate the flow of traffic. Right - and trying to flush a Timberland work boot will make your toilet more efficient.

Places like West Run Rd were little more than golf cart paths and permission was inexplicably given to build massive complexes on roads that never had a prayer of handling the volume. Residents in the eastern part of the county formed groups like First Things First and pleaded for something like the Pastureland Parkway that would (probably) involve moving the WVU Agricultural Farm elsewhere (there's plenty of rural space in Mon County still) and getting a decent, direct connector from Evansdale to I-68.

Despite all the above problems, most of them self-inflicted, downtown kind of held its own for those within a certain proximity. And then the mania for big box development led to the University Town Centre and the buildup of the Westover exit and downtown was well on its way to its present condition.
I don't think you can blame downtown's current problems on economic development in areas outside of downtown. As I've said many times on this thread, we'd still go down there if it weren't for the open drug use, aggressive panhandling, and other threatening behavior. It's simple, you can put whatever business you want down there, but people don't want to be harassed or threatened.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 AM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
I used to love to go downtown but like others the panhandling and drug problem as well as parking issues is why I stay away now. It should be a thriving downtown with housing for the 20-30 something crowd with upkept buildings and many stores,restaurants and bars.I don't think Morgantown itself ever will get to the level of decay of Clarksburg or Fairmont.In many aspects Morgantown especially in sunnyside have improved. The couple main streets in the downtown area is the only place needing attention along with a few streets near it. Access needs addressed and I really don't know why the city,county and Wvu officials have done little to address the lack of roads in the whole county more seriously.It hinders growth for all of them. They started to fix the riverfront but that seems abandoned years ago now. There is so much potential for both the wharf district and downtown and they could take Morgantown to the next level. There needs to be a couple four lane accesses to downtown and 119 from 79 through westover would be one of the first.Don Knotts to 68 needs finished to 4 lanes. I'm not sure Beechurst Ave at this point with development can be fixed to 4 lanes and turning lanes. There needs to be a 79 exit at River Road that's 4 lanes to downtown and one north either though Collin Ferry or Van Voorhis Rd to 79 alleviate traffic at the hospital and stadium. Stewardston Road needs expanded to 4 lanes and a north bypass from 79 to 48 is needed. Dorsey Ave and Greenbag rd could also be expanded. 119 downtown to 705 would be great also. I don't live in Morgantown now and I wonder what people living there now thinks is needed the most. Is any of the proposed bypasses still viable. Bakers Ridge and West Run seem logical chooses for widening and expansion. Tyrone Rd off 68 or somewhere in that area needs expanded south. Rt 7 and 119 south of 68 should be four lanes for at least 5 -10 miles to alleviate traffic and 68 to the Ohio river completed and route 19 and route 7 west upgraded.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 PM

111 posts, read 95,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
The problem has increased dramatically. This is well talked about here. Maybe not on this board but on local Facebook pages it's a contentious issue.

Numerous factors contribute to this. When you were here in the early 2000s we still had a county jail off of High Street located right behind the courthouse. Many of the drunks and troublemakers were picked up back then. Around that time or at some point in the mid 2000's (I would have to look up the year) the state switched to a regional jail model. Due to the transport costs and paperwork it would appear vagrancy and drunkenness are now ignored. I am frequently downtown for work and have seen worse things like open drug use and needles on the ground. Parts of the rail trails are used as homeless camps. I had to quit walking my dog there for safety reasons.

Morgantown has a large amount of services offered for the homeless. Unfortunately, this is being taken advantage of by people traveling here from all over the east coast who seek Mgtn out for these services. Many of these people are drifters and transients and not our local homeless anyway. I see this first hand.

There is much division in Mgtn about this issue. People who bring up the problem are frequently accused of not being sympathetic enough. Even when it is pointed out that many here are more than willing to help out our locals. However, we simply don't have the resources to save the world (heck, we can't afford to fix the potholes in this state). We are then told it doesn't matter where they are from - they are human beings too. <sigh> I have witnessed this circular argument for years now.

So...the latest idea is to build an even bigger shelter at the Ramada Inn site and offer 1400 beds. I feel it will just attract more outsiders and still will not help the problem with drifters congregating downtown.
https://www.wboy.com/news/local/mono...-homelessness/

You may be interested to read that homelessness is actually down in WV, particularly among veterans. Many of the people you see are not even from this state.
https://www.register-herald.com/news...e73c0123a.html
It will attract more homeless. There are already so many services offered to the homeless that there is little excuse for anyone to be homeless for very long. Most homeless prefer it though. They can use drugs, be drunks, sleep any schedule and still be fed, have clothes for warmth, get a shower from time to time. Being homeless is to easy. The answer is to make being homeless so difficult that they will run head first toward programs to get off the streets. That means giving police their batons back. Harass, harass, harass. Like a disobedient child that we punish for the childs own welfare, we must harass the homeless for their welfare. Moderator cut: This isn't the Politics forum.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-25-2020 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Removing politics remark

Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times
I noticed where tailpipes closed recently, I really enjoyed their burgers and fry sauce. But I still believe high street will get turned around bc they still hav great eateries like iron horse, blue Moose, tin 202, etc.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:15 AM

77 posts, read 82,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
I noticed where tailpipes closed recently, I really enjoyed their burgers and fry sauce. But I still believe high street will get turned around bc they still hav great eateries like iron horse, blue Moose, tin 202, etc.
Three or four restaurants does not make a great downtown. In addition to restaurants closing, the bars are closing or struggling. Per some buddies that own bars/restaurants, students do not frequent them like they did ten or even five years ago. The downtown area is looking shabbier and more rundown, plus businesses are closing left and right. It's going to get much worse in my opinion.

Look at what has closed in just the last few years. Maxwells, Tailpipes, and Morgantown Diner off the top of my head. The dumpster fire that is in the building that used to house the Mediterranean Deli is changing names every year or so. The owner/management at Gibbies has given up.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post
Three or four restaurants does not make a great downtown. In addition to restaurants closing, the bars are closing or struggling. Per some buddies that own bars/restaurants, students do not frequent them like they did ten or even five years ago. The downtown area is looking shabbier and more rundown, plus businesses are closing left and right. It's going to get much worse in my opinion.

Look at what has closed in just the last few years. Maxwells, Tailpipes, and Morgantown Diner off the top of my head. The dumpster fire that is in the building that used to house the Mediterranean Deli is changing names every year or so. The owner/management at Gibbies has given up.
Yeah true. I’m trying remain optimistic. Aren’t they renovating hotel Morgan? And what is the new building that went up across from the courthouse? And are they going to develop the lot right beside sheets?

Too many vacant store fronts for sure though

Old 05-26-2020, 08:09 PM

120 posts, read 151,434 times
Downtown Morgantown is simply not a good location for restaurants. They are not easily accessible and who wants to pay for parking? Move those restaurants up to UTC and they'd do a lot better.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:37 AM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post

Student traffic is down because of the massive apartment complexes 15 minutes away along West Run Road & UTC took thousands that would have been living in South Park/Sunnyside.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 AM

Does anyone know when the hotel Morgan renovations are supposed to be done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown