Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 AM

202 posts, read 218,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Time to annex them.
I hope this is sarcasm. Don't get why people want to hasten their exit out of Morgantown..

I guess some people would rather replace those jobs with trendy retail outlets and "tourism" jobs that pay a whopping $10/hour.

That, or they love cutting of their nose to spite their face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
I was talking with someone at Chipotle and I asked if they were ever going to go through with the second store and the guy said their executive leadership team was in town last week with their head real estate scout person and they were looking into locations for a second location. The person said they have selected a location and it is going to be “downtown” but nothing more specific was given.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I was talking with someone at Chipotle and I asked if they were ever going to go through with the second store and the guy said their executive leadership team was in town last week with their head real estate scout person and they were looking into locations for a second location. The person said they have selected a location and it is going to be “downtown” but nothing more specific was given.
A Chipotle would THRIVE right off campus. I'm surprised it has taken this long. Millennials love their Chipotle.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:48 AM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
A Chipotle would THRIVE right off campus. I'm surprised it has taken this long. Millennials love their Chipotle.
Eh, Q'doba blows it out of the water. Chipotle 'queso' is garbage.

As for downtown, I imagine either a Lair location, the old gas station on Beechurst, or those vacant lots by Sheetz.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Im hearing that this is only the beginning, supposedly another 400 or so will eventually be let go, and ultimately the whole place shut down.....
It looks like Mylan is under investigation too. Haven't read anything about this in the DP. First the PA office and just this past month the one in Italy.

At least two companies are on track to be indicted in the coming months, in addition to several executives, said two people, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is confidential. Another company could agree to plead guilty before then, said one the people. <skip>

Federal authorities have raided at least two companies in the investigation. Perrigo Co. disclosed its offices were searched last year. Mylan’s Pennsylvania headquarters was also raided by the FBI in the fall of 2016, according to another person familiar with the matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-in-u-s-probe

Mylan reports it is facing more scrutiny | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 AM

Gucci Kroger is about to become even more Gucci.

"Kroger is investing $4 million in remodeling its Suncrest Towne Centre store."

"One of Kroger’s largest stores with 86,000 square feet, the store will have a completely new look with new features, including a Starbucks, a wine-tasting bar and made-to-order selections."

"Natural foods, the Deli-Bakery, and the flower shop will be expanded. Sushi will continue to be offered in the store."

“The overall look and feel will be like a brand-new store,” said Terry Lucas, manager. “Most every area of the store will be updated.”

"The project is expected to be complete before the end of the year."

https://www.dominionpost.com/2018/05...-new-features/

Last edited by WVUmatt; 05-17-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Looks like we will be getting a harbor freight tools somewhere in town. They just posted a job ad for someone to be responsible for negotiating contracts and one of the responsibilities is being a go between corporate and local entieits when negotiating deals (most likely negotiate store deal)

Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 AM

219 posts, read 247,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Looks like we will be getting a harbor freight tools somewhere in town. They just posted a job ad for someone to be responsible for negotiating contracts and one of the responsibilities is being a go between corporate and local entieits when negotiating deals (most likely negotiate store deal)
That's great news. Despite selling a lot of chinese garbage HF does actually provide a good service for people who aren't necessarily mechanics and can't afford to buy snap-on tools all the time.

I was talking to an employee at the new Rural King in Washington PA and ask him about Morgantown. He said he had not heard of RK opening in Morgantown but had heard a lot of HF rumors when he worked there prior to working at RK.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:57 PM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
Harbor Freight is good for tools for around the house. There is one over in Cumberland. Perhaps they'll take Belk or Elder Beerman's spot in the Mall.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Harbor Freight is good for tools for around the house. There is one over in Cumberland. Perhaps they'll take Belk or Elder Beerman's spot in the Mall.
They are also good for finding that one weird bizarre tool that you know you will not need more than a handful of times and you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it. Their generators are apparently comparable to the name brand ones now, but a lot cheaper.

If I'm partially wishing/partially talking out loud, put a Home Depot (maybe with the tool rental, or home design studio section) where sears is now (tough Lowe's guess you will have to compete), cut up elder beerman into smaller stores (including a spot for Harbor Freight and some type of entertainment to draw crowds to the mall area) and turn the Belk into a Giant Eagle Market Place. That should drastically increase traffic to that whole area. Next to Hobby Lobby put a Duluth Trading or some other store that can draw a good amount of people up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown