Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM

202 posts, read 218,412 times

Advertisements

The only thing I do know for sure is that roads in district 4 are way worse than those in other districts. All I want from the state government is an admission of this and a to be told a reason why this is so. When I've inquired in the past I've been told this is not the case. Who should I believe, them or my lyin' eyes.

At this point I don't trust audits from the WV state government. They've never given me a reason to trust them. Even if they are at fault they will not own up to it in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 AM

491 posts, read 610,344 times
Mileground might be delayed as we have some greedy holdouts. Can't believe the process is taking so long these people knew for years that the road would be widened.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:18 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Mileground might be delayed as we have some greedy holdouts. Can't believe the process is taking so long these people knew for years that the road would be widened.
take them to court and use eminent domain. I am not generally a fan of eminent domain because I feel it gets misused a lot, but this project seems like a perfect time to use it. I still wish they would burry all of the wires though, it looks so bad!

I am happy to see a ton of road projects in Mon county have gone out for bids and have start dates of March-May instead of the customary July (now will they start before July/August is the question). I also noticed work on Mon Blvd seems to have ramped back up this week (mainly work on the sidewalk) thanks to a long stretch of reasonably dry weather (I swear this is the first full week in a long time without a considerable amount of moisture in the forecast). Also the slip on Route 7 outside of Cassville seems to have had some activity, there are a couple orange stakes in the ground (roughly where the ends of a new wall would have to be) and the telephone poles in the way were spray painted with orange X's.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 03-19-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
take them to court and use eminent domain. I am not generally a fan of eminent domain because I feel it gets misused a lot, but this project seems like a perfect time to use it. I still wish they would burry all of the wires though, it looks so bad!
That's what I've heard from the people who won the bid. Could possibly be delayed up to a year. Explains why the State wasted money and repaved the entire thing.

I think it's the guy who owns the trailers at the airport entrance. There was an article months ago where he was complaining that the state *only* offered him around 199k for the 3 junky trailers and apartment. He wants compensated for 5 years worth of lost rent totaling $132k. It said his family owned the land for years so it's not like they've made plenty of money off of it. Unbelievably greedy.

I agree that it's time to slap them with eminent domain and move on.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM

77 posts, read 83,001 times
My understanding is it's Verizon causing much of the delay.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post
My understanding is it's Verizon causing much of the delay.
What does Verizon own along there? Do they have fiber lines running through the area for something? The copper lines (DSL and phone) are Frontier's now and the other fiber/copper would be Comcast.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Overpass work: Work at Pierpont Exit 7 creating lane closures until November

"Bits of concrete falling onto Interstate 68 from the Cheat Road overpass provided a clear indicator the Exit 7 bridge near Fort Pierpont needed repairs."

"“The deck was cracking and full of holes,” said Ron Roberson, of Kelly Paving."

"His company was awarded a contract to repair the overpass by the West Virginia Division of Highways and began the project April 4. In addition to a new deck and abutment, pier work also is involved."

The work is projected for completion on Nov. 1

https://www.dominionpost.com/2019/04...ntil-november/

Old 04-24-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Overpass work: Work at Pierpont Exit 7 creating lane closures until November

"Bits of concrete falling onto Interstate 68 from the Cheat Road overpass provided a clear indicator the Exit 7 bridge near Fort Pierpont needed repairs."

"“The deck was cracking and full of holes,” said Ron Roberson, of Kelly Paving."

"His company was awarded a contract to repair the overpass by the West Virginia Division of Highways and began the project April 4. In addition to a new deck and abutment, pier work also is involved."

The work is projected for completion on Nov. 1

https://www.dominionpost.com/2019/04...ntil-november/

Maybe the State shouldn't wait 30 years before doing maintenance next time...

Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Maybe the State shouldn't wait 30 years before doing maintenance next time...
Seriously! When concrete is falling off of the bridge that is your sign that it has been to long since true maintenance was done. The last three major bridge projects done in this area have all come after concrete has been seen falling off of the bridge, absolutely pathetic. We now also have two I-79 bridges being held up by new steel beam supports due to concrete falling off of the bridges (though the second one also had an over-height truck plow into one of the beams thereby further damaging the bridge), when will the DOH take fixing our bridges serious in this area? It honestly feels like it will take a bridge collapsing before they pay attention.

Exit 1 bridge over I-68 was supposedly fixed (not a new deck though, which it badly needs) but the decking has potholes in it already. Potholes on a bridge deck....what could possibly go wrong

Also has anyone seen the absolutely pathetic job the new paving on I-79 north of town is, it feels like there are speed bumps all over the surface. Also by the new exit, the current pavement (who knows how old it is) has deteriorated so badly that the two lanes in sections don't even touch anymore. It makes it almost impossible to move between the two lanes for fear that your tire will pop going down into the canyon that has been forming.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:01 PM

250 posts, read 331,848 times
Quote:
Seriously! When concrete is falling off of the bridge that is your sign that it has been to long since true maintenance was done. The last three major bridge projects done in this area have all come after concrete has been seen falling off of the bridge, absolutely pathetic. We now also have two I-79 bridges being held up by new steel beam supports due to concrete falling off of the bridges (though the second one also had an over-height truck plow into one of the beams thereby further damaging the bridge), when will the DOH take fixing our bridges serious in this area? It honestly feels like it will take a bridge collapsing before they pay attention.

Exit 1 bridge over I-68 was supposedly fixed (not a new deck though, which it badly needs) but the decking has potholes in it already. Potholes on a bridge deck....what could possibly go wrong

Also has anyone seen the absolutely pathetic job the new paving on I-79 north of town is, it feels like there are speed bumps all over the surface. Also by the new exit, the current pavement (who knows how old it is) has deteriorated so badly that the two lanes in sections don't even touch anymore. It makes it almost impossible to move between the two lanes for fear that your tire will pop going down into the canyon that has been forming.
I know the state is..."poor" but I just feel/sense that the money that is being spent just isn't being utilized properly. I've not combed over the budget reports to see this but when I hear that there are engraved paper towels in the bathrooms of the state capitol (with our fearless leaders name)....it sure doesn't give me a sense of hope.

WV has so much potential - the people from north to south - all have a pride that I have not truly come across before and while everyone may have differing opinions on what's best, the best thing I've found is that people from Morgantown to Romney can all talk together...except in Charleston.

I've yet to run into a person that has said "Oh yes, the roads are fantastic in Morgantown - no money is needed.".....no matter WHERE THEY ARE FROM in the state but it literally takes decades to get some of these roads actually fixed correctly. It is inexcusable for our representation at a state level to continue to do this. Something must change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown