Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 40,685 times

Advertisements

wooooow that is pretty shocking! thanks for your response and i will definitely take this into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM

389 posts, read 796,822 times
To be honest, that story seems a little farfetched--especially for this area. There are thousands of black students here and lots of black families and I've never heard anyone complain of racism. That story sounds straight out of 1960's Alabama. I don't buy it.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 PM

552 posts, read 738,241 times
I don't buy that either, seems to be fabricated. Not that it can't happen, but I really do not see racism as an issue in west virginia. I've never seen public racism in my 25 years of living here, at most it has been ignorant people making stereotypical comments but where does that not happen, maybe in wonderland.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
I'm not sure where you are talking about, but it definitely is not Morgantown. Point Marion, PA (located nor far from here) is a working class community and might have a totally different atmosphere. We basically do not have racial issues here.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM

552 posts, read 738,241 times
I come from a small working class town, never had racial issues, so to say that is kind of stereotypical.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carefulone View Post
My family has lived her for four years. We have had many negative experiences and are looking to move. We are a biracial couple with a 20 yr old daughter. We have been harrassed by other patrons at a restaurant in Point Marion and told to leave. We have been followed down the road by some men and had to evade them. My husband was harrassed at work by his coworkers. My daughter was assaulted and chased down a road at night being told over and over that "ni88er you are going to die on this road tonight". They did this for over an half an hour after they beat her. Thank God she had a cell phone and we were able to find her! She suffered a broken nose and other damage as you can imagine. The N word is used freely here and confederate flags feel like a punch in the gut. We are looking to move where there is more diversity. Side note, The animal abuse here is shocking! Crime rates data for the area shows a higher than average rape, assault and property crime in 2009. I think some of it has gone down since.
That sounds like a horrible situation that happened to your daughter outside of Point Marion, PA. Do you have a link to the news article about that? I would expect that would have made the national news considering it was a hate crime.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
I come from a small working class town, never had racial issues, so to say that is kind of stereotypical.
It is, and I didn't mean it that way. I'm just saying the person writing the criticism quoted that town which has a totally different character than ours.
At the same time note that this person has only had 10 posts. I'd say that post is highly suspect. I have never once seem a single racial problem in our town. We have one of the best educated populations of any town in the country. That just doesn't happen here, at least not to any noticable degree.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown7984 View Post
wooooow that is pretty shocking! thanks for your response and i will definitely take this into consideration.
You also might want to ignore it. I think the story is far fetched. That writer is not known on this forum, and Point Marion is not Morgantown.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Racism isnt a problem in Morgantown. I would not let one sketchy, unverified, story given to you by a stranger over the internet form your opinion.

Btw, I knew a guy who kney a guy who was abducted by aliens in Morgantown dont go there.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
That sounds like a horrible situation that happened to your daughter outside of Point Marion, PA. Do you have a link to the news article about that? I would expect that would have made the national news considering it was a hate crime.
This is exactly why I'm skeptical of her story.

Anyway, a little bit of advice to anybody moving to Morgantown: if it snows, do not save the parking space you shoveled out with a parking couch, or college students will set it on fire and throw an impromptu keg party in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown