Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 18,871 times

Advertisements

It's probably because of the language barrier , some can read english but may feel shy about writing here. As far as I'm concerned my english is not too good even if I chat in english with an american girl from Michigan since 3 years I can read it, understand it, but writing it is a pain in the a.. but at least I try I will try my best to participate here and put my 2 cents from time to time

Old 01-15-2010, 01:38 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,301,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromeo66 View Post
It's probably because of the language barrier , some can read english but may feel shy about writing here. As far as I'm concerned my english is not too good even if I chat in english with an american girl from Michigan since 3 years I can read it, understand it, but writing it is a pain in the a.. but at least I try I will try my best to participate here and put my 2 cents from time to time
That would be nice Boromeo Welcome aboard!
I speak French fluently (grew up in New Brunswick).

When I lived in Quebec (in very francophone places like Riviere-du-loup and Quebec City) I used to be amazed at the number of people that would stop me in the street and ask for directions in English with not even a "Hi do you speak English?" It was like they assumed people were born with two arms, two legs and speaking English. It used to blow my mind (Heck, I don't even go to Mexico or the Dominican Republic without digging out my Spanish phrase book so I can at least make an attempt at conversing with the natives in their language.)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:47 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
That would be nice Boromeo Welcome aboard!
I speak French fluently (grew up in New Brunswick).

When I lived in Quebec (in very francophone places like Riviere-du-loup and Quebec City) I used to be amazed at the number of people that would stop me in the street and ask for directions in English with not even a "Hi do you speak English?" It was like they assumed people were born with two arms, two legs and speaking English. It used to blow my mind (Heck, I don't even go to Mexico or the Dominican Republic without digging out my Spanish phrase book so I can at least make an attempt at conversing with the natives in their language.)
I am so glad you said that.

Someone should also tell people that the appropriate response when someone speaks in a language other than English to you when you are on *their* language turf is not "what's that?".

I live in Gatineau, Quebec right near the border with Ontario and I swear I hear it several times a week, when store clerks greet people (strangers of course) with a nice "bonjour!", and get a "what's that?!?" back as a response.

I mean, the nerve of those store clerks! Addressing total strangers in French in a city where 90% of the population is French speaking! What are they thinking?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,451,559 times
That really happens?

That's embarrassing.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 18,871 times
sunshineleith , Thanks for the welcoming , I found this excellent forum by googling population Canada
I am gald I found it , there are plenty of interesting threads , even if my english sucks I will do my best to contribute on this forum

Old 01-15-2010, 04:24 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,451,559 times
Quote:
sunshineleith , Thanks for the welcoming , I found this excellent forum by googling population Canada
I am gald I found it , there are plenty of interesting threads , even if my english sucks I will do my best to contribute on this forum
You're too modest - your English doesn't suck.

Your opinions and views are most certainly welcome! For the longest time this Canada forum had very few Canadian posters on it, but there seems to be a great group of people joining and posting accurate, relevant information. It's refreshing to see. Less trolls, finally.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM

73,139 posts, read 62,851,157 times
Quote:
Like someone else here mentioned , This thread is very insulting for us French canadians from Quebec. some here easily forget that part of the members of this forum are from Quebec .

Pirate_lafitte You just said what I was about to say and i second you on that. People from the rest of Canada have to realize that french is the only official language of Quebec and if they have a problem with learning the language , there are 9 other provinces and 3 territories where they will be able to speak english ( and I would go that far as to say also 50 states in the U.S too)

It seems that when an english person wants to communicate in english with a french one here, we always make the effort to speak with them in english even if we are not good at it , the contrary is rarely true ,nearly none of the english ones will make the effort to speak or answer in french , which is not normal since THE ONLY OFFICAL LANGUAGE I WILL SAY IT AGAIN IS FRENCH . That's it that's all.

Yes this thread was very insulting for us, Quebecers and i was surprised by the fact that there was nearly no reaction from french speaking Quebecers.
I was just giving my view on it. I am not saying a person couldn't go to Quebec and get by without French. Alot of people do that. I am just saying I wouldn't recommend it. French is the official language in Quebec and it is helpful to learn French to thrive in everyday life. As a personal note(this is not a hubris, but my own way of doing things), I make an effort to learn a person's language, even if I can only learn a few words. This person is learning my language(English), why not I learn as much as I can in his language. I don't know why alot of people who speak English won't learn another language, other than this reason. Many people I have seen this in has mainly been Americans, not so mcuh everyone in the Anglophone world. In my own university, I mainly hang out in the areas where international students hang out. Many of the students there are from India, Kenya, Nigeria, and other former British colonies. Some comes from places like Romania, Russia, Bulgaria, The Philipines,Finland,France, Peru,Ecuador, Saudi Arabia, and other places. I learn alot of things. Many of them know at least two languages(English and their native language) and make an effort to learn another. Some know at least three. In my own experience, it is usually many Americans who don't want to learn another language. My theory is that many people assume English as the language of business and commerce, expecting others to learn it.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,947 times
I've lived in Montreal my entire life, and I don't speak french very well, but NEVER had any issue's finding a job. I've had 4 great jobs with 4 large companies and am soon to go into a private practice as naturopathic practitioner.

Sure, seperatist companies like Hydro Quebec of the Quebec Gov't won't hire an anglo, but they are not the only "game" in town

But yes, best to stay in Montreal because places like Quebec city, there is no english spoken at all.

Don't worry about finding a job

Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerpeach View Post
I've lived in Montreal my entire life, and I don't speak french very well, but NEVER had any issue's finding a job. I've had 4 great jobs with 4 large companies and am soon to go into a private practice as naturopathic practitioner.

Sure, seperatist companies like Hydro Quebec of the Quebec Gov't won't hire an anglo, but they are not the only "game" in town

But yes, best to stay in Montreal because places like Quebec city, there is no english spoken at all.

Don't worry about finding a job
In theory, you can do what summerpeach says. It it is certainly possible.

Of course, if one day his or her luck runs out in Montreal and the rest of Canada or the States beckon, hopefully we won't find summerpeach all bitter and posting all over cyberspace about how people in Quebec were fascist and xenophobic...

Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM

195 posts, read 674,040 times
Montreal by far.

I am a French speaker (native....from Quebec) and I found Quebec City to be one of the most close-minded miserable places I have ever lived in my life. I did a certificate in law at Universite Laval and found that the only remotely polite place in the city was le Vieux Quebec (the walled old part of the city) and that politeness was purely for monentary gain. I wouldn't live there again for any amount of money.

Montreal and Gatineau are excellent choices and a world apart from la vieille capitale , hermetique et fermee a double tour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal