Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 AM

65 posts, read 133,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
In many cases its not enough to be able to converse in French you have to be French,if not many will just treat you as an invader to their precious concept that Quebec is just for the French.
Also working with 350 French co workers many do have some unflattering views of Black people, it takes a while for them to open up about the issue and its all wink,wink,nudge,nudge but racism is alive and well in the Francophone community in Montreal..
Hmmm. Have you visited Downtown Detroit lately?

talk about unflattering views......

Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 AM

65 posts, read 133,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimex View Post
I'm not sure if anybody has already asked this question before but what if you have a life-threatening emergency situation and you need to call the emergency services but realise you cannot speak French? What if the person on the receiving end of the telephone call cannot speak English? What would you do?

....I'd say that it is really worth it, and IMPORTANT, to learn the language of the place that you're intending to live. It's not worth the risk living in a place where you cannot speak the language and then have somethingas horrific happen to you where you go "I wish I knew the language better... Why?" After all, language is communication, and you do need to be able to communicate with people regardless.
This is the rationale behind ASSIMILATION. It is not the 'imperialists' that want to keep people (Legitimate immigrants, I'm not addressing ILLEGAL ALIENS) out, often (esp. in Californication, where I lived for almost two decades) it is the immigrants who will refuse to learn language, custom, norms, and then also expect a free ride, Section 8 housing allowances, free medical, EBT cards, etc. It's largely that sort of entitlement ingratitude that tanks a lot of 'American-Americans.' As it's the major issue on the Rebublitard debates recently, it bears repeating. One must make the EFFORT to at least outwardly assimilate if one is to live in a foreign country, n'est-ce pas?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post
I've been thinking and reading on this issue for some time. I wonder if the lack of 'realism' vis a vis French and Quebecois when it comes to language, is because they (Quebecois) are Anglos (i.e., Caucasian) and we EXPECT them to speak English, whereas American (I can't speak for ALL Canadians, but from stats on this very board, it appears they are quite 'liberal' as well, for the most part) liberals almost act in a 'reverse racial supremacist' mode for thinking that non-whites shouldn't/can't(?) speak English like the English/Americans, but can 'only' (or should remain, just to 'spice up someone's warped view of multiculturalism) speak their 'language of origin' rather than learn English?!?

Just a thunk......
Interesting thoughts. Though note that most Québécois are NOT anglos (in the sense of being people whose origins are mostly from the British Isles), but their origins are overwhelmingly European and Caucasian.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:41 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,862,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post
I've been thinking and reading on this issue for some time. I wonder if the lack of 'realism' vis a vis French and Quebecois when it comes to language, is because they (Quebecois) are Anglos (i.e., Caucasian) and we EXPECT them to speak English, whereas American (I can't speak for ALL Canadians, but from stats on this very board, it appears they are quite 'liberal' as well, for the most part) liberals almost act in a 'reverse racial supremacist' mode for thinking that non-whites shouldn't/can't(?) speak English like the English/Americans, but can 'only' (or should remain, just to 'spice up someone's warped view of multiculturalism) speak their 'language of origin' rather than learn English?!?

Just a thunk......
So much misinformation.
Quebec founding fathers were of European stock.

Enjoy.
Quebec History (up to 34 videos on YouTube)

Québec History 2 - 1608 Samuel de Champlain - YouTube

Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,879 times
Well, you MUST speak French if you want a job. We have been fighting the english way too long to give up now. Perhaps you can move to Ontario (Ottawa) on the border of Quebec and Ontario. Sorry buddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal