Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Do you have any trouble speaking English anywhere else? No? Than you won't have any trouble there.
BAWAHAHAHAHA - that was my inital thought to write back . . . but I am trying to take the edge off my sarcasm. I was waiting for this one though! Well done!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 PM

10 posts, read 41,134 times
Default I hope you trip to Montreal went well

As for speaking English in Montreal and having any troubles, i can tell you now and it might not be politically correct, but i have traveled extensively throughout Canada from the West Coast to the East and the only place I had trouble was in Montreal, not just when I spoke English, but in general, I found it to be the most unhelpful and unfriendly city in Canada. The only reason it has culture is because there are French people there, that's it. I went to paris soon after and that's where the real French people are! In Paris everyone was so polite even with the little english I spoke, they were still helpful.

As for Montreal the worst experience I had was when I was at the train station, I don't know if it was because I was 'black', but the train station guy wouldn't help me in the slightest and kept saying 'he did not understand', was that he did not understand my english, or he had chosen not to understand me because I was 'black'. Everyone person before him he did not treat in that way at all. I was most disappointed. No one else that I met in Montreal helped to reverse that negative experience that I had. Who would've thought Canada a bilingual country would have such bigots who refused to speak english.

Yes, I know the train operator obviously said I do not understand what you're saying in perfect english, probably racism hey?

Anyways, just giving you the heads up if you're black and going to Montreal, they seem to be quite racist and will say they don't speak english. I wish I'd recommend learning some french,

Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussietraveller007 View Post
As for speaking English in Montreal and having any troubles, i can tell you now and it might not be politically correct, but i have traveled extensively throughout Canada from the West Coast to the East and the only place I had trouble was in Montreal, not just when I spoke English, but in general, I found it to be the most unhelpful and unfriendly city in Canada. The only reason it has culture is because there are French people there, that's it. I went to paris soon after and that's where the real French people are! In Paris everyone was so polite even with the little english I spoke, they were still helpful.

As for Montreal the worst experience I had was when I was at the train station, I don't know if it was because I was 'black', but the train station guy wouldn't help me in the slightest and kept saying 'he did not understand', was that he did not understand my english, or he had chosen not to understand me because I was 'black'. Everyone person before him he did not treat in that way at all. I was most disappointed. No one else that I met in Montreal helped to reverse that negative experience that I had. Who would've thought Canada a bilingual country would have such bigots who refused to speak english.

Yes, I know the train operator obviously said I do not understand what you're saying in perfect english, probably racism hey?

Anyways, just giving you the heads up if you're black and going to Montreal, they seem to be quite racist and will say they don't speak english. I wish I'd recommend learning some french,
I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience in Montreal. Your anecdote about the train station is nonetheless surprising, seeing that it's federally-regulated and even operated facility. So if there are places in Montreal where you should be able to get served in both English and French without any problems at all, it would be the train station (and the airport and post offices I suppose).

Regarding your conception that Canada is a bilingual country, it sounds a bit like "Canada is bilingual so I expect everyone in French-speaking areas to speak to me in English". Now, perhaps if you attempted to get everyone to speak to you in French at the Toronto train station, for example, you might have a different perception of Canadian bilingualism.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 AM

701 posts, read 1,901,132 times
While some may hate the fact that many francophones refuse to speak English, it is also funny to me that almost all anglophones just assume the world should speak English just to communicate with them. May I remind you guys that in Quebec French is the SOLE official language? Therefore, you shouldn't assume people should have any knowledge in English in the first place. Quebecois don't have the responsibility to understand or speak English. On the other hand, it is your responsibility to learn the local language before deciding to travel there, right? Sometimes this language chavanism is so appalling to such an extent that anglophones whine about Italian people don't speak good English. I mean, Italians in Italy. Just because English is the most widely spoken language doesn't mean everyone in the world should love to speak it so that anglophones don't have to learn any foreign languages. So if you go to France and found people refuse to speak English, stop whining and take some lessons. The French didn't expect everyone in Canada or the US to speak French, did they?
I think, English speakers should stop assuming it is the world's responsibility to speak English. They may not be able to or they simply don't want to. I'd hate to see everyone in France or Italy or Japan speaks fluent English.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 AM

337 posts, read 794,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Do you have any trouble speaking English anywhere else? No? Than you won't have any trouble there.
You beat me to that one...

Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM

134 posts, read 348,264 times
This thread should be closed moderators!! The OP went to Montreal in April. I hope he was able to speak English there.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM

110 posts, read 621,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
While some may hate the fact that many francophones refuse to speak English, it is also funny to me that almost all anglophones just assume the world should speak English just to communicate with them. May I remind you guys that in Quebec French is the SOLE official language? Therefore, you shouldn't assume people should have any knowledge in English in the first place. Quebecois don't have the responsibility to understand or speak English. On the other hand, it is your responsibility to learn the local language before deciding to travel there, right? Sometimes this language chavanism is so appalling to such an extent that anglophones whine about Italian people don't speak good English. I mean, Italians in Italy. Just because English is the most widely spoken language doesn't mean everyone in the world should love to speak it so that anglophones don't have to learn any foreign languages. So if you go to France and found people refuse to speak English, stop whining and take some lessons. The French didn't expect everyone in Canada or the US to speak French, did they?
I think, English speakers should stop assuming it is the world's responsibility to speak English. They may not be able to or they simply don't want to. I'd hate to see everyone in France or Italy or Japan speaks fluent English.
Very very well said. I agree with you totally.

It is sometimes insulting that english speaking people assumes that everyone speaks perfect english. Also insulting is when they make fun of someone who struggles in english while these same people are on the soil of a people who's native language isn't english.

Here in Québec people will only ask for an effort, some key words in french in order to make sure that the american tourist (Or english canadian tourist) is aware that Quebec is predominantly french speaking and that the tourist is not simply dismissing the french language because HE speaks english and assume everyone else's understand perfectly.

I, as a french speaking person, have my moments where i don't feel like answering in english to someone who unpolitely asked me a question in english without even using one simple ''bonjour'' or ''merci'' and assuming that i was in his backyard !!!

Other times, when tired, i don't understand english as well therefor i may ask politely the person to repeat the question and if i feel the person is bothered by me non understanding entirely then my attitude may change.

It's all a question of respect and politness.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 PM

110 posts, read 621,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussietraveller007 View Post

I honestly have a hard time believing your story. It sounds like an ex-montrealer who just wants to bach the french speaking québécois which often happens.

The Montreal train station is a place where the english language is predominant. Even I, sometimes, have a hard time being answered in french, especially when taking the Amtrak train to NYC. Therefor i would be very surprised to have someone (a worker) not being able to speak english, refusing to give a good service to you because you are black or simply ignoring you.

One guy may have a hard day and give bad service to everyone, that happens. But to only one person because he is black and speak english, at the train station ? Sorry, i don't buy that !!!

As a matter of fact my friend, who's coming to town as of today, is black and from Maryland. She comes in 4 to 5 times a year and just loves it here. Just never ever expriences any racial discrimination because of her colour or her native language. Quite the opposite, She actually says.

She sometimes feels she is getting a better treatment.

To be honest i will add that she is very good looking, she is very sweet and she always say ''bonjour'' or some french word like that. How can one resist to that !!!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertusernamehere View Post
This thread should be closed moderators!! The OP went to Montreal in April. I hope he was able to speak English there.
And I hope that, out of respect for the native tongue that exists there, he made an effort to learn a bit of French and bought a phrase book before he went

Old 07-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoyne_42 View Post
Very very well said. I agree with you totally.

It is sometimes insulting that english speaking people assumes that everyone speaks perfect english. Also insulting is when they make fun of someone who struggles in english while these same people are on the soil of a people who's native language isn't english.

Here in Québec people will only ask for an effort, some key words in french in order to make sure that the american tourist (Or english canadian tourist) is aware that Quebec is predominantly french speaking and that the tourist is not simply dismissing the french language because HE speaks english and assume everyone else's understand perfectly.
As a bilingual anglophone who lived in Quebec for three years, I used to be offended as well that many people visiting the province seemed to believe that people are born with two arms, two legs and speak English. They don't.

I have always operated under the "When in Rome do as the Romans - or at least make an effort." When I went to Mexico last year, even in tourist areas, I did not assume that people spoke English and pulled out my rudimentary Spanish. It may not have been pretty to listen to, but I feel my efforts were appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal