Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

I remember the Warehouse very well.
I worked there in 1977.
I was stationed at the Presidio when I was in the Air Force.
I moonlighted at the Warehouse as a line cook with Jay Breke the Executive Chef.
It was always a fun time.
My niece also was stationed at the Presidio and told me that it was her favorite place to unwind after duty.
We had a bouncer at the front door (phone booth) that went by "Bear" big guy but very nice.
Clint Eastwood was a fairly regular customer - also a great guy!
And, yes, the "Untouchables"! Best bunch of waitresses that I ever worked with.
We also had probably the best "Ragtime" band ever!
There was also the old silent movies playing when the band was off stage.
I was unaware that the warehouse had closed.
It was a landmark and will be missed by all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
Default Warehouse Cannery Row

Her name was Barbara Kelly, and she was stunning! She had moved to LA to work on a project- a variety show that, if my memory serves me- was to be something like the Barbara Kelly Variety Show. I loved that place- the energy there was so special.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurluvr View Post
I was stationed at Ft. Ord in the mid-late 70's. Caruso's Corner was one of my favorite restaurants. I've eaten there many times through the years - each time I visited the Peninsula. As recently as 5 years ago (the last time I was in Monterey) it was still there.
Caruso's moved to Fremont Street in north Monterey not far from the fairgrounds in the 1990's. The pizza was decent and the service friendly and efficient, but I would definitely rate Gianni's on Lighthouse Avenue above it today. I did not visit Monterey frequently until around the mid-1980's when the MB Aquarium opened. It would have been nice to have been there in those good old days back in the 1970's when people were out just to have a good time and not as overly image conscious as some are today.

I am sure my friends and I would have loved the Warehouse Restaurant, too! Never heard of it until this thread.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,377 times
Default The Warehouse

My parents met at The Warehouse in 1971. And my Mom was a waitress! I have a photograph of her in the Untouchables t-shirt, mini skirt, and fishnet stockings.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
My wife and i honeymooned in carmel summer of1969. Went to the warehouse restaurant and were entertained by a young man who played banjo, made balloon animals and tried to be funny. We did not understand his humor then but came to love Steve Martin.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
She was my wife's cousin ( wife's mom and her mom were sisters). My wife and I were just talking about this last night because it was such a tragic loss---I was told she also won as a contestant on the Gong Show but I can't find the episode on YouTube to verify. She also had a brother Greg Bonner who was a world class surfer from Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Greg passed last year from Cancer. But be on the look out for Barbara's little sister who is a singer and does quite a few gigs in the Monterey area. Her name is Joy Bonner--not sure if she has a stage name or band name for that matter.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:54 PM

75 posts, read 154,078 times
Default Barbara Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfoot829 View Post
She was my wife's cousin ( wife's mom and her mom were sisters). My wife and I were just talking about this last night because it was such a tragic loss---I was told she also won as a contestant on the Gong Show but I can't find the episode on YouTube to verify. She also had a brother Greg Bonner who was a world class surfer from Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Greg passed last year from Cancer. But be on the look out for Barbara's little sister who is a singer and does quite a few gigs in the Monterey area. Her name is Joy Bonner--not sure if she has a stage name or band name for that matter.

Thanks for the information! Was her real name Barbara Bonner? And are there any recordings of her?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 19,840 times
Default Re: Barbara Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfoot829 View Post
I think the Gong Show contestant you are thinking of was one of the waitresses who worked at Barbara Kelly's night club in late '74/early '75. I dated her and in addition to working at the club, she was also a professional cheerleader for the San Jose Earthquakes and a graduate student at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. She won the Gong Show by doing a routine with a pair of flaming batons. Funny thing is that I lost all contact with the girl after the Army shipped me overseas and I discovered her appearance on the show by chance when I saw her on a YouTube video of the Gong Show episode a few months ago.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark9272 View Post
Thanks for the information! Was her real name Barbara Bonner? And are there any recordings of her?
She was born Bonnie Lee Bonner. If I remember correctly, she was married during the time I used to watch her perform at her own nightclub (1974/75), and I don't know what her married name was.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:12 PM

Default Correction: Barbara Kelly's

birth name was Bobbie Lee Bonner, not Bonnie Lee Bonner, and after a little Google research I discovered her married name was Bobbie Lee Simeone. The comedian Kip Addotta, who made an extended appearance at Barbara Kelly's in 1974, recently wrote a book in which he references her murder and opines that it may have been drug related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County