Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM

183 posts, read 254,290 times

Advertisements

Was it Barbara Kelley (?Kelly?) I'm not 100% sure on that last name, but that's what comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 22,424 times
thanks so much for info. If you think of her last name, it would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking O'Malley, but it doesn't quite sound right.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 PM

I think you nailed it! Loved her voice and stage presence. I had a crush on her like 5,000 other guys. Cannery Row was much simpler back then. I was searching for her name because I had just finished re-reading Cannery Row and it brought back a lot of memories.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:52 AM

if you 'Bing' "Singer Barbara Kelly" it will bring up a site with her singing "If Only They Could See Me Now" which was her signature song. No video, just a poster and her singing.....but it is still worth it. From what I remember of her, her rendition of this song included substituting 'They' with 'Mama' and it was a little more throaty and sultry then recorded here. I searched for any info on her demise, but could not find any. Probably only band members and family would know.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,187 times
I remember going to the Wharehouse restaurant and enjoying pizza and beer as well as the Dixieland band and the female servers wearing Twenties flappers dresses. This was in 1964 while I stationed at Fort Ord. I also remember the John Steinbeck Theater on Cannery Row. Does anyone remember Caruso's Corner Pizza joint. It was a tiny place put served the Best Pizza in town. Those were the days!!

Old 03-26-2015, 01:46 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco64 View Post
I remember going to the Wharehouse restaurant and enjoying pizza and beer as well as the Dixieland band and the female servers wearing Twenties flappers dresses. This was in 1964 while I stationed at Fort Ord. I also remember the John Steinbeck Theater on Cannery Row. Does anyone remember Caruso's Corner Pizza joint. It was a tiny place put served the Best Pizza in town. Those were the days!!
I remember Carlo's Pizza. He moved to Del Monte Ave, then years later moved to Salinas. He had square pizzas....They were very good.....

Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco64 View Post
I was stationed at Ft. Ord in the mid-late 70's. Caruso's Corner was one of my favorite restaurants. I've eaten there many times through the years - each time I visited the Peninsula. As recently as 5 years ago (the last time I was in Monterey) it was still there.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter4306 View Post
if you 'Bing' "Singer Barbara Kelly" it will bring up a site with her singing "If Only They Could See Me Now" which was her signature song. No video, just a poster and her singing.....but it is still worth it. From what I remember of her, her rendition of this song included substituting 'They' with 'Mama' and it was a little more throaty and sultry then recorded here. I searched for any info on her demise, but could not find any. Probably only band members and family would know.
If you go to YouTube, and type in Barbara Kelly and The Warehousemen, there are quite a few with the same poster (no video, just audio). Brought up some great memories!!!

I hated when she left to move to LA (I think she was going to sing on a cruise ship, or something like that). I seem to remember that she was murdered in the laundry room of the apartment complex. Such a loss.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,024 times
iT WAS bARBARA kELLY AND THE wAREHOUSEMEN I still have an album from there

Old 07-12-2015, 05:53 PM

75 posts, read 154,078 times
Default Barbara Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter4306 View Post
thanks so much for the info. I am sorry to hear of her death. I always though she had a lot of talent and could have made it to the next level. She was an awesome singer and performer. I remember now her first name being Barbara as you mentioned. If you ever recall her last name or think where I might locate it, I would appreciate it. RIP Barbara.
Her name was Barbara Kelly and she was a very big draw at the Monterey Dixieland Jazz festivals...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County