Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,873,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Ugh judos rules kill me!!
Do you have freestyle comps where you are rigas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,104,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Do you have freestyle comps where you are rigas?
There are some aau stuff but it's like nogi judo. Like a mix of judo and Bjj rules. Strange stuff IMO.
Outside of that we really only see usja, usjf, or USA judo events.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,975,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
People without intelect or the required understanding of something will always find it boring.
So are you saying that somebody is automatically dumb and without intellect if they find grappling boring? Maybe it just really doesn't appeal to them.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM

596 posts, read 983,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
So are you saying that somebody is automatically dumb and without intellect if they find grappling boring? Maybe it just really doesn't appeal to them.

Grappling is an integral part of real fighting and mma is the closest simulation that we have to real fighting that our society allows, so don't expect to see grappling disappear from mma anytime soon. It's cool if some people are bored by grappling. The good news for them is that there are plenty of other combat sports to watch that have no grappling. I myself find tennis and golf very boring (even though they obviously take a lot of skill). Therefore I don't waste my money by attending these events, and I don't waste my time posting on the tennis and golf forums about how tedious that they are to watch. It amazes me that some people are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to attend a UFC event and then get pissed off whenever the fight goes to the mat, which is more than likely to happen in mma.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Absolutely in reference to the topic at hand. If you are watching a sporting event and don't have the intelect in or the understanding of the sport, then you shouldn't be speaking on the sport.

If you paid $200 to go watch a spurs game and complained the whole time about tony Parker not dunking the ball, or get mad that the spurs didn't kick a single field goal goal, your options are learn about the sport or stop watching!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM

320 posts, read 539,627 times
The whole reason I was drawn to UFC/MMA is because of the grappling. If you understand what you are watching it's very exciting. In fact the main reason I'm not as interested in the UFC now is because of what seems to be this shift toward the stand-up game.

I don't know if this shift has been a conscious effort or if it is more because there isn't as large of a gap between the best grapplers and the average grapplers like there used to be in years past. At any rate when these guys are on their feet, most of them look like fish out of water unless they're in a Muay Thai clinch or working for a take down. If they're just chasing each other around the octagon winging hooks that barely connect 15% of the time, I'll pass.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM

145 posts, read 358,979 times
nobody wants to see 2 men crawling on the floor like sissies and putting themselves in positions that resemble sex positions

Old 08-15-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
nobody wants to see 2 men crawling on the floor like sissies and putting themselves in positions that resemble sex positions
So where are you from?
I would gladly invite you into our gym and allow you to challenge any male in our place above age 16 to a full on challenge match. You are welcome to use gloves or no gloves, punch, kick, what ever you like. I will guarantee you will have a new found respect, clearly you have never been in a fight in your life.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,873,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCT View Post
The whole reason I was drawn to UFC/MMA is because of the grappling. If you understand what you are watching it's very exciting. In fact the main reason I'm not as interested in the UFC now is because of what seems to be this shift toward the stand-up game.

I don't know if this shift has been a conscious effort or if it is more because there isn't as large of a gap between the best grapplers and the average grapplers like there used to be in years past. At any rate when these guys are on their feet, most of them look like fish out of water unless they're in a Muay Thai clinch or working for a take down. If they're just chasing each other around the octagon winging hooks that barely connect 15% of the time, I'll pass.
Same here.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 AM

320 posts, read 539,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
**Sigh** The same tired non-sense I usually hear from people who've never wrestled/grappled before. I'm willing to bet that you'd never walk into a gym/academy and share those comments face to face with one of those "sissies". Also, maybe you've noticed that fighters without that kind of background don't get very far in MMA. That should tell you all you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)