Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:42 AM

114 posts, read 535,373 times

Advertisements

We are going to retire to Minnesota because of the excellent services that are provided...paid for by high state tax revenue. I have lived overseas for many years where 42% taxes (or higher and don't forget that the items that you purchse already have a 21% VAT (value added tax) built in to the price) are the norm. While we haven't had to pay income tax while overseas, we have bought products that had the VAT built in to them, making them much more expensive. The services that one receives overseas (with high tax built in) are frequently not great either.

Give me a state with high tax and I know that I'll have a better chance of receiving good services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 AM

118 posts, read 388,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddldave View Post
i used to live in eden prarie when i was a kid. a very very nice neighborhood. now i live in apple valley, nice neighborhood too but i think eden prarie was better.
Wow, I have the exact same experience and agree completely. It's hard for me to put my finger on why, but I have always preferred the west metro to the south metro.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM

184 posts, read 1,019,683 times
West Metro has soul.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM

33 posts, read 120,946 times
Default South Minnepolis

I would vote for towns like Owatonna, Red Wing and Duluth for vacations and sightseeing. However, there is no place like South Minneapolis. There are libraries, coffe shops, grocery stores, parkways and public parks.wading pools all within walking distance. We live just over the border in Richfield and spend all of our time eight short blocks north and love S. Mpls-if only we could pick up our house and move it.....

Old 07-04-2007, 05:46 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,118 times
Did anyone say Eagan yet? My pick far above anything else.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:51 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnorcm3 View Post

Give me a state with high tax and I know that I'll have a better chance of receiving good services.
Spoken like a true Minnesotan. This is why I left. 1. It's not always true (taxes equal better services) 2. Because of the good services (that are free to others), I can't afford to live here anymore.

I had to move to a place for more opportunity to keep my hard earned money.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM

196 posts, read 969,686 times
Anything close to Northfield????

Help Under an hour commutt and under 200,000?????

Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM

90 posts, read 359,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
Spoken like a true Minnesotan. This is why I left. 1. It's not always true (taxes equal better services) 2. Because of the good services (that are free to others), I can't afford to live here anymore.

I had to move to a place for more opportunity to keep my hard earned money.
I would say it is not true, in fact.

I was joking with someone about that yesterday, how having lived in five different states, all with different tax rates, I really do not see a hell of a lot about Minnesota that is different services-wise. All I see is a higher tax burden.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
Anything close to Northfield????

Help Under an hour commutt and under 200,000?????

Do you mean a commute TO Northfield under an hour? What about looking in Nerstrand (town of 215 people though). Kenyon would be an option. That is a cute little town that is well kept and an easy commute to the cities and Northfield.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:20 PM

987 posts, read 3,818,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
I would say it is not true, in fact.

I was joking with someone about that yesterday, how having lived in five different states, all with different tax rates, I really do not see a hell of a lot about Minnesota that is different services-wise. All I see is a higher tax burden.
ECFE, $18/3 year boat registration, clean water act, lifetime fishing licenses, $35/year ski license, roads with shoulders, 72 state parks, free zoo with free parking, free museum passes for the public, free camping on the lake superior water trail, $45 to register your snowmobile, reciprocity agreement with other states on college fees, actual clean restrooms at roadside rest stops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota