Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 21,503 times

Advertisements

WINONA MN. is a small city(about 27,500 pop.) but full of culture,history and arts. It is a community wealthy in spirit, academics, recreation, wildlife and nature, and Minnesota Nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM

389 posts, read 1,657,447 times
Former mn resident ,Blooming prairie,medford.and Rochester.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:12 PM

29 posts, read 116,765 times
Default Best Place to Live in MN

I live in Scott county. Lived in MN most of my life. I will be out of this state by end of summer or early fall. Can't wait to get out of here. Sick and tired of the winters, high taxes, current business climate and the nanny state that we are developing into. Life is way too short to live here!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 AM

204 posts, read 774,521 times
We're in Alexandria-it's a great town and has everything you could want-shopping, restaurants, lakes,etc. But JFOG-we so agree w/you-we too are moving out of MN after 2 years here. Love our home, town but the state income taxes are killers. We moved here from the land of high taxes-New Jersey-and the one thing I never researched was state inc. tax rates. Our accountant thought we were kidding when we picked up our tax returns this year and said "we're outta here!" Hopefully we can sell and get to the Carolinas soon.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 PM

106 posts, read 572,162 times
Good riddance, guys. Enjoy the greener grass on the other side.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 AM

21 posts, read 138,236 times
High taxes?

I'm moving in from Sweden this fall and I'm looking forward to the lower taxes in Minnesota. Also, with higher taxes you should get better service, better roads and lower crime... no?

Taxes in Stockholm. 33%(or more) income tax. 25% VAT (12% VAT on food)

Old 06-17-2007, 08:40 AM

184 posts, read 1,020,100 times
You are generally right, the tax burdens roughly reflect the services provided. Let's assume you are a high income earner. The federal income tax is 36%. Nationwide. You can't escape that no matter which state you choose.

Above that, each state does it differently. Tennessee, for example, charges no state income tax but has the highest sales tax in the nation (9.35%). Minnesota relies on a relatively hefty state income tax in return for decent property and sales tax (some will take issue with my claim that we have "decent" property taxes, but places like Texas make you pay way more prop taxes for way less house).

In on average, the state tax burden (all sources) is 10.10% across the nation. A little higher for a place like Minnesota (10.7%) and a little less for places like Alabama (8.7%).

When people look at total tax burden, they tend to forget that the vast majority of it is federal income tax which you cannot escape unless you leave the country. The difference in total taxes paid, federal and all state, on a top wageearner in Minnesota vs. Texas is nominal (47.2% vs. 45.9%). Yes, there is a difference, but the local piece of that is just pretty small, simply put.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 AM

204 posts, read 774,521 times
Fed taxes do not bother us-but state taxes are abhorrent. We moved from the high tax capital of the country-NJ-and rarely paid state taxes, and if we did they were minimal. Our state tax return put us in shock-MN is not tax friendly. What we save in prop. tax compared to NJ is way lost in what we pay in state inc tax.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
We have lived in so called 'low tax' states and we have lived in MN, you get what you pay for. Yes, taxes in MN are high but we also have excellent schools, good roads (yes, they are good compared to many areas of the country), good services, etc. We lived in South Dakota (no income tax state) and were there for maybe a week when we figured out that they just don't have the things that MN has for kids/families, etc. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:36 AM

5 posts, read 17,717 times
i used to live in eden prarie when i was a kid. a very very nice neighborhood. now i live in apple valley, nice neighborhood too but i think eden prarie was better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota