Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 AM

214 posts, read 691,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Santos says--------"I get pegged--------It's the inbreeding"

sorry to hear about your inbreeding

Hope it doesn't cause you other problems besides just your accent
It doesn't...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 AM

10 posts, read 33,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catanda View Post
Several decades ago I was with a group of internationals from South Africa, New Zealand, Switzerland, Germany, Zambia, and some other places. There was also a gentleman there from Minnesota. After he spoke, some wanted to know where his accent was from. He was shocked that someone thought he had an accent, because we were in Minnesota, and he was not conscious of having any accent. The internationals thought differently.
PRICELESS! That's exactly how the cookie crumbles!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,267 times
We do.

I was in Orange County Cali a couple of years ago and a concierge nailed my accent after I spoke one short sentence.

A girl I used to date on Long Island, NY used to prod me into saying "out" and "about", etc, especially if we were out with other Long Islanders. I got her back by making her say certain words when she was in MN visiting at times. My mom loved how "Long Island" came out of her mouth like "Lawnguy Land"

I think the MN accent is slowly going extinct though, due to a variety of causes.

Our grandparents and parents (at least mine) had a lot stronger accent, IMHO.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:07 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Our grandparents and parents (at least mine) had a lot stronger accent, IMHO.
That's for sure. Some of the older Minnesotans sound like they're from a different country. Maybe they are

Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM

16 posts, read 45,988 times
I think its very true that we have an accent. Most of my cousins that don't live here always make fun of me for saying: About,Boat..anything with an o in it, they can tell we're from Minnesota. But we can't help it. We were raised here.. "Don't ya know??" =)

Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
My neighbor says "for cute" meaning how cute.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM

Red face Who would say that? Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
My neighbor says "for cute" meaning how cute.

I've never heard anyone say "for cute" meaning how cute. She must not have been raised here cause no doubt minnesotans don't say "for cute" meaning how cute. Just doesn't make sense to me I guess.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:54 PM

181 posts, read 607,188 times
The MN accent is strong...and hilarious. It's a friendly accent, though. The Philly accent makes me shudder. I swear I'm going to smack the next person I hear say "you's". The MI Lower Peninsula accent is like a very mild MN accent.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiNnGsTar* View Post
I've never heard anyone say "for cute" meaning how cute. She must not have been raised here cause no doubt minnesotans don't say "for cute" meaning how cute. Just doesn't make sense to me I guess.
Hey you're pretty good! How'd you know she wasn't raised here? She's been here 60+ years though but you're right, she did spend about 16 years in Sweden before she came. How perceptive!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
Hey you're pretty good! How'd you know she wasn't raised here? She's been here 60+ years though but you're right, she did spend about 16 years in Sweden before she came. How perceptive!
HAHA! Awesome. Well I was born and raised here so I would notice something unusal like that. Just the way it sounded.. "for cute", doesn't sound correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota