Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 01:00 PM

55 posts, read 41,497 times

Advertisements

Wondering if there are any places a person living in their car can park near the Twin Cities? I'm not finding much online. Is there any place a person can park their vehicle long-term when/if they are living in it in the TC Metro?

(Duluth has a lot but it closes during Winter months)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 01:39 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Why?

Old 02-13-2024, 07:41 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Go find industrial areas of Mpls and you should be able to fit in.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:11 PM

Strange to me that Duluth would have parking for car-dwellers but not the Twin Cities.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Relaxo View Post
Strange to me that Duluth would have parking for car-dwellers but not the Twin Cities.
Duluth is a starting point for outdoor activities, so them catering to that lifestyle makes sense. Twin Cities want you to find an apartment to live in.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:22 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Duluth is a starting point for outdoor activities, so them catering to that lifestyle makes sense. Twin Cities want you to find an apartment to live in.
It's also possible Twin Cities chooses not to encourage the car-dweller lifestyle. How discriminatory of them!

Old 02-16-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It's also possible Twin Cities chooses not to encourage the car-dweller lifestyle. How discriminatory of them!
They sure encourage tent living if you actually lived here to see.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:49 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Just wondering, because I am not at all familiar with this lifestyle--does a city actually get anything from car-dwellers that they allow to live in a specific area, or are they just kind of a drain on the system? What about sanitation needs? Do the specified areas feature restrooms, showers, etc.? And if so, who foots the bill for the water, upkeep, etc.? Is it a substitute for a shelter type facility?

I'm old and probably out of touch, but it sounds as though there might not be much of an upside for a city that caters to people who live in their cars. Do they pay any type of fee for taking up the space (which, no offense, might otherwise be used for a building that would bring in tax revenue) and using local facilities?

I'd love to hear about how this plays out, from someone who lives in Duluth.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Just wondering, because I am not at all familiar with this lifestyle--does a city actually get anything from car-dwellers that they allow to live in a specific area, or are they just kind of a drain on the system? What about sanitation needs? Do the specified areas feature restrooms, showers, etc.? And if so, who foots the bill for the water, upkeep, etc.? Is it a substitute for a shelter type facility?

I'm old and probably out of touch, but it sounds as though there might not be much of an upside for a city that caters to people who live in their cars. Do they pay any type of fee for taking up the space (which, no offense, might otherwise be used for a building that would bring in tax revenue) and using local facilities?

I'd love to hear about how this plays out, from someone who lives in Duluth.
I’d like to know the cities part too. Here in Mpls, there’s tent cities and the city supplies porta-potties, there are also vans and RV’s parked next to them. Mpls seems to close and move them often in certain areas. If you own an empty lot within Mpls, I’d be very fearful a camp doesn’t appear on it overnight. The cost to you to get them to leave is high, the cost to fence it is high….

I follow people on YouTube who do it out west and on national forest land where it’s legal. Often times they have gym memberships to big chains so can take showers at them if they are near them, probably use truck stop ones too. Seem to use nature for restrooms when in the wild.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:56 AM

You would think Minneapolis would have designated area for car dwellers with the homeless situation.

I guess they don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota