Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 06:29 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
When are you taking this trip? The north shore is a very popular summer destination with basically only one two lane road (hwy 61) everyone uses, thus travel times could be effected. The drive from Duluth to Twin Cities (35) on Sunday is solid vehicles, same with opposite on a Friday going north.
Hey there!

So we are taking it early in the summer-and not on purpose I'd say, but we are sorta following traffic the opposite direction that way. We are going up to Duluth on June 4th (Sunday), and making our way back from Lutsen/Grand Marais on June 7th (Wednesday). Not sure but thinking that might help us with avoiding at least massive delays or horrible traffic.

I am aware that it can still (will) be a little cooler still in June, because of the lake. I'm honestly completely cool with that (no pun intended). Honestly, coming from Florida and dealing with 5-7 months of 100 degree heat index and what sadly, seems like a less consistently comfortable winter months each year, too (yeah, we/I are sorta ready to move), and wearing jackets and hoodies and such sounds great-a rare chance to actually break them out haha. I guess my major worry would be if it's like super rainy or something-because cold rain would kinda suck if it was super recurring, so I'd want to invest in like nice rain resistant jackets in addition if that is a major theme. We've enjoyed visiting the NC Mountains on multiple occasions in early March, though, with snow included in both visits then, and I grew up in Ohio, so I don't think the cold is gonna be particularly bothersome either-it shows historical averages in Duluth for that time range of like 64/47, and Grand Marais like 59/42-honestly, that seems pretty manageable, even if it ebbs and flows some on either end.

Another question if you or someone else doesn't mind answering. These are sorta the two "transitional days" of our trip:

Drive Up

Drive Back

So, I think you mentioned Big Manitou Falls which does look pretty impressive (maybe as impressive as some of the bigger North Shore waterfalls). I do see it would add on about 20 minutes or so to our drive to hit that-though I suppose that isn't drastic. I will note that the goal in leaving Minneapolis by 730-8 or so on the 4th, and the goal in leaving Lutsen by 730 or 8 or so on the 7th, is that, while maybe making a few minor stops en route, would be to be to our destination by roughly 3 PM or so, so that we could have a few hours on that Sunday to go into Downtown Duluth, and a few hours on that Wednesday to go into Downtown Saint Paul (and potentially see a game at the minor league park). So I'm not talking anything drastic or anything, but are there any particularly worthwhile "short" roadside stops that are pretty much right along either of those routes (for food, scenery, architecture or history, etc.) that might be good to appreciate and stretch our legs for 30-60 minutes?

You see I have a sort of built in one in Leinenkugel's on the 4th and that would be the major one lol. From their website, it appears they generally offer tours Sundays, and that their earliest would be 11 AM, meaning we could be perhaps even more leisurely or late leaving the Twin Cities Sunday, take that 60 minute tour, and then if we had brunch and such already before, be in Central Duluth reasonably by 2:30 PM or so, and have a pretty good chunk of the afternoon left to look around.

And yes, I know touring Leinenkugel's makes me a basic tourist (or other words you could apply basic too haha), but Leinenkugel's has just been my favorite large brewery for the longest haha (and my wife's too). And I'm a sucker for the variety pack and marketing. Ever since I got the variety pack with descriptions on it and such... I've been wanting to get "Up There" (and by that, I mean the upper midwest in general, not just Leinenkugel's hahah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 07:11 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
The traffic isn’t really bad, just many vehicles on the freeway 35 Friday’s and Sunday’s, but often there is construction since we can only do it later spring/summer/fall. Temps in Duluth are about 10 degrees cooler than Twin Cities. Grand Marais is usually coldest city in state in summers. One time I was there in July and it was 45 in town, we drove up the small mountain on Gunflint Trail and it was 80 plus within a few miles. I’ve never experienced that big of temp differences within such close distances. Early June is ideal time as rivers will be full of water.

I always drive straight through when going up and back, so knowing about places to spot I’m not the greatest to ask. I often see signs on 35 for a massive historical fire long ago in the Hinkley area, that might fit your 30-60 min stretch legs. In Duluth you could look into Glensheen Mansion tour. The family was associated with Andrew Carnegie to battle against Rockefeller in the Iron Range. The house/property is just awesome and I haven’t even toured it.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
I love going to Grand Marais when the rest of Minnesota is embroiled in 90-100ºF temps – it's pretty much always in the 60s and beautiful there most of the summer. In fact, the microclimate is so strong along the lake that blooming trees like crabapples or lilacs usually don't even bloom until July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota