Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times

Advertisements

I've been to Nashville many times, but most of the time it's just been to go through Nashville on the way to somewhere else. The times I have stayed there, I've mostly stayed downtown....or in Murphreesboro. I'll be headed to Gatlinburg tomorrow evening and I'm going to spend the night in Bellevue, then spend a little time driving around some of the neighborhoods...mainly to get a feel for where I might want to eventually move in a couple of years.

I decided to stay in Bellevue because it appears from comments on this forum that it's a good, safe reasonably priced area....so I'll drive around that area a bit. I'm also going to look around East Nashville since it seems to be a neat area.

What other areas should I drive through around the more-or-less central Nashville area? I'm not interested in Hendersonville, etc. I can't afford Franklin, etc. I actually prefer the more western side of town since that would put me just a bit closer to the grandkid in Memphis....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
I would check out Sylvan Park/Heights and maybe the Belmont/12th South (around the school)neighborhoods. While it is pricey, you might want to check out Hillsboro Village also. If you want a more country area, you might want to look around the Kingston Springs area. It's about 15 minutes past Bellevue on 40 west. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Country isn't my goal...either city or suburb is what we're used to. I think Bellevue is about as far out as we'd like. Since we would be retired (or at least semi-retired) and our kids are grown we don't have to be concerned about getting into the right school districts...so that makes it a bit easier.

I'll check out the Sylvan Park/Heights, Belmont and Hillsboro Village areas....

Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,944 times
What would you consider "reasonably priced"?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM

137 posts, read 630,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
I've been to Nashville many times, but most of the time it's just been to go through Nashville on the way to somewhere else. The times I have stayed there, I've mostly stayed downtown....or in Murphreesboro. I'll be headed to Gatlinburg tomorrow evening and I'm going to spend the night in Bellevue, then spend a little time driving around some of the neighborhoods...mainly to get a feel for where I might want to eventually move in a couple of years.

I decided to stay in Bellevue because it appears from comments on this forum that it's a good, safe reasonably priced area....so I'll drive around that area a bit. I'm also going to look around East Nashville since it seems to be a neat area.

What other areas should I drive through around the more-or-less central Nashville area? I'm not interested in Hendersonville, etc. I can't afford Franklin, etc. I actually prefer the more western side of town since that would put me just a bit closer to the grandkid in Memphis....
"Reasonably priced" is a vague definition. Different people look for houses in different price ranges.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:51 PM

I know that's vague....but, since it's at least a couple of years away I haven't set a price yet. A lot will depend on how interest rates, etc., affect my 401K and defined benefit plan So far they're doing OK.

Ideally I'd like to find 2-3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a garage for under $200K in a safe, attractive area. A 4 car heated and air conditioned garage would be nice too At this point, we're not ruling out anything - new, old, condo, loft, townhome, detached home. We're trying to remain as open minded as possible.

Every place we've lived since we've been married (38 years) we've found by just exploring neighborhoods on our own - we've never hired a realtor to find a house for us. When we found neighborhoods that felt "right" (attractive, safe, not boring, good location, etc.) we simply set out finding the right house in that area...usually knowing it was right as soon as we saw it from the street. That's why we want to make a quick tour to see if there are areas we could add to our list of "possibles"...or areas we should rule out entirely.

We're not set on Nashville at this point either, since we've also looked at Cookeville and Murphreesboro...

Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 PM

If you don't hire a realtor then maybe you can save the commission ? I'm not sure but I heard that realtors can't give rebates in Tennessee.....

Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
Quote:
Country isn't my goal...either city or suburb is what we're used to. I think Bellevue is about as far out as we'd like. Since we would be retired (or at least semi-retired) and our kids are grown we don't have to be concerned about getting into the right school districts...so that makes it a bit easier.

I'll check out the Sylvan Park/Heights, Belmont and Hillsboro Village areas....
Okay, if your looking for under 200k you might be relegated to a condo in those areas. But who knows, you might be able to find a deal right now because there are some desperate sellers.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
If you don't hire a realtor then maybe you can save the commission ? I'm not sure but I heard that realtors can't give rebates in Tennessee.....
Only if the house was FSBO....otherwise the seller's realtor is still earning a commission. I don't have anything against paying a realtor....it's just that it's so hard to describe to someone else what your looking for when it's as subjective as "it feels right".

Old 04-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Only if the house was FSBO....otherwise the seller's realtor is still earning a commission. I don't have anything against paying a realtor....it's just that it's so hard to describe to someone else what your looking for when it's as subjective as "it feels right".
I'm talking about the commission that is paid to buyer's agent (3%). If you, the buyer, don't need a full-service agent then there may be some ways to "save" money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville