Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 12:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,649,893 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I was wondering what are all your thoughts on the MN Senate Race in a couple weeks? It appears that Lewis is strongly tightening the gap, and might have a decent chance of taking the senate seat? I would really love to see Lewis win the seat! What do you make of the chances? I know that Tina Smith supported the ANTIFA rioting. Is that making her unpopular at all? I live in Virginia, and was wondering about your perspectives from the people who live in Minnesota?

How good of a chance does Lewis have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 04:36 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
According to MPR, it is a very close, so no one could really know for sure, so,,,

Old 10-24-2020, 07:43 PM

358 posts, read 445,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Hey All,

I know that Tina Smith supported the ANTIFA rioting.
Surely you know that is a preposterous statement.

Tina Smith isn't a very effective campaigner. I suspect there are also a lot of Minnesotans who are still pissed at the way Al Franken was banished which dilutes their support for Smith. If Lewis were to win, I suspect he'd only be a one term Senator. He's somewhat of a buffoon in my opinion and too fractious for most Minnesotans. Who knows? Maybe Franken would run against him in six years.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,134 times
It looks like she won by quite a lot last time but I don't think her opponent was as strong. I think Lewis will take it based on the overall sentiments in MN.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,452,261 times
Oh boy, I was hoping an out of stater would toss another bottomless political thread into the Minnesota forum because Lord knows we haven't had enough of them this year. Maybe someone from one of the international forums can start a thread inquiring about the Carver County race for dog catcher next. I'll be waiting with bated dog breath.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:57 PM

2,203 posts, read 1,649,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
It looks like she won by quite a lot last time but I don't think her opponent was as strong. I think Lewis will take it based on the overall sentiments in MN.
I also feel that Minnesota becomes more and more of a purple state as years go on, especially after all the rioting. Also it was only by around 300,000 votes she won I believe. I also think that election was a low turnout since it was midterm. Midterm elections always tend to have lower turnouts.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:46 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,712,210 times
Quote:
I also feel that Minnesota becomes more and more of a purple state as years go on, especially after all the rioting.
'you feel'? What you 'feel' is meaningless. All that matters is what happens. And what has happened as the last 14 years have gone by is that the DFL (I'll let you look up with that means) has won 20 consecutive statewide races.

Quote:
Also it was only by around 300,000 votes she won I believe.
LOL... 'only' 300,000 votes? Actually, it was ~275,000 - which was more than 10% of the less than 2.6 million votes cast in that race. To put it another way, her margin was greater than that of Reagan in his 1980 election victory, and I must say I've never heard anyone state that Reagan 'only' won by 9.7%.

Quote:
I also think that election was a low turnout since it was midterm. Midterm elections always tend to have lower turnouts.
You've identified a difference between 2020 and 2018. But you haven't made a case for why that difference is supposed to somehow work to Smith's detriment. I will note that the last two Senate races that the GOP has won in Minnesota (2002, 1994) came during mid-term elections.

Having dispensed with that silliness, onto the race.

Most prognosticators rate it LIKELY D. Cook has it SAFE D, while the RCP average posts it as TOSSUP (while having Smith's lead at 5.8% - a seemingly odd incongruency). 538 gives Smith a 92% chance of winning. The three polls of the race released in the last ten days peg Smith at +11(partisan D), +1, and +4.

I wouldn't call the race safe for Smith by any means, though she is still certainly the favorite. I think that the Republicans would have been better served had they gone with someone other than Lewis, but he had no serious challengers*. It is clear that Smith is not a dynamic candidate. In years not so favorable to Democrats in general (think 2014, 2010, etc.) it is easy to imagine that she might be very vulnerable.

*Cynthia Gail, who came in second during the primary, is a complete nobody. John Berman, who came in third, has a lot to say in his candidate profile submission about the Vulcan mind-meld. At that point, I stopped digging into the field.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:48 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Tina Smith will probably win by around 10%.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:09 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,712,210 times
Off on a slight tangent here, from the Senate to the House. Specifically, a former House member from Minnesota.

Quote:
Former Minnesota Rep. Jim Ramstad, a moderate Republican lawmaker whose own battle with addiction turned him into a legislative champion for those in recovery, died Thursday.

He was 74 and had been ailing from Parkinson’s disease, his former chief of staff Dean Peterson said in a note announcing Ramstad’s death.

Ramstad represented Minnesota’s 3rd Congressional District for nine terms, retiring in 2009. He was routinely elected with two-thirds or more of the vote in his suburban district near Minneapolis.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/1...-help-has-died

Jim Ramstad was one of the good guys.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Tina Smith will probably win by around 10%.
Nope looks like she only won by about 4%. 168,800 votes to be precise according to
https://www.google.com/search?q=jaso...obile&ie=UTF-8

MN is Democrat but only by a very SLIM margin, as usual. The frustration is that you never know it. It’s usually just a small margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota