Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 12:31 PM

49 posts, read 28,101 times

Advertisements

a little about me:

I don't care if the town is boring. I'm a rebel. I care mostly about the land and the soil. Is the soil dense, is there nice foliage in the fall...things like that. Are there nice places to walk and forget about the stir of society...junk like that. Thats what I'm focused on since 2019. Do I care if there is a walmart? it would be nice I guess, but I can forfeit that luxury and focus on the things that truly have value...which is the soil, and how quiet and walkable the town is.

with all that in consideration should I move to morris? I would probably stay there for a year. I don't have a car. I used to keep a fridge full of blue faygo and refried beans...now I just make my own bread. That being said, I'm not a traditionalist in most matters. I don't vote republican or democrat...I don't vote because I dont want to invite politics into my life. The only things I really care about are soil, fast internet, quietness and I guess diversity would be nice. but I can forfeit diversity in the pursuit of perfect freedom, independent from the stir of a nonsensical society.

politics is all about making choices out of confusion. I want to get out of that whole cycle of making choices under pressure and under confusion. Thats why I want to live in an isolated town for a year and connect to things that have nothing to do with the confusion of society...like land and trees, and the quietness of an evening. I think this is the right time to do something like this. In a year I'll consider moving to a place that has more things going on, or more diversity. I don't have a car, but with a town so small it may be easy to make friends that have cars.

chapter 2: the end of an era

the big question is should I move to morris or should I go back east to the cities and stay with family for a while? I'll let the forum decide my fate.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:12 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
I would live between Duluth and Two Harbors, or Grand Marais, or anywhere on the north shore. It’s the best landscape we have in the state and good luck finding more trees. Soil, not the greatest as there’s lots of rock.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:43 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,611,912 times
I like Morris. It seems like a nice small town. I only went to a meeting there, though, I didn't stay overnight. Not a hugely tree full area, though, as it's the prairie. It's probably a little more expensive than other small towns in the region since there is a university there. Soil is probably good due to it being a good farming area, but contact Stevens county extension to learn more about the soil there: https://local.extension.umn.edu/local/stevens The state of MN has WONDERFUL extension services.

When in doubt, NEVER move to the Twin Cities. Move literally anywhere else in MN instead. Only boring people who don't know anything about anywhere would voluntarily move to the Twin Cities.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:59 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
Do not move to there. From what you describe Wrenshall Mn would be most likely the place you would really "get into" the most. It has everything, trees, land, and plenty of solitude. Lots of back type of trails and off the beaten path places. It is an exciting place. You could not have described a more accurate place.

Old 10-06-2020, 05:28 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,603,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I would live between Duluth and Two Harbors, or Grand Marais, or anywhere on the north shore. It’s the best landscape we have in the state and good luck finding more trees. Soil, not the greatest as there’s lots of rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_ueR5RDdQ

Old 10-06-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
it may be that I am a prairie man...I recently took a walk through a meadow/prairie type area. I found it very relaxing with some deep vibrations. Maybe I should experience life on the prairie.

There is something about open fields too. I don't like seeing endless seas of agriculture but that may be inevitable. If there are some nice fields or meadows that produce a feeling of relaxation or some deep vibration that pushes me to new heights of integration with life then I can be satisfied

Old 10-06-2020, 06:41 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
She climbed down to the beaver river. I’ve been to Green Door countless times and camped upriver a few miles for last 10 years. I’ve always used satellite maps to find hidden waterfalls and I’ve found quiet a few. Also taking The Grade after eating lunch at The Trestle is much better way to travel the shore!

Old 10-06-2020, 08:01 PM

542 posts, read 449,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_circle decimal View Post
a little about me:

I don't care if the town is boring. I'm a rebel. I care mostly about the land and the soil. Is the soil dense, is there nice foliage in the fall...things like that. Are there nice places to walk and forget about the stir of society...junk like that. Thats what I'm focused on since 2019. Do I care if there is a walmart? it would be nice I guess, but I can forfeit that luxury and focus on the things that truly have value...which is the soil, and how quiet and walkable the town is.

with all that in consideration should I move to morris? I would probably stay there for a year. I don't have a car. I used to keep a fridge full of blue faygo and refried beans...now I just make my own bread. That being said, I'm not a traditionalist in most matters. I don't vote republican or democrat...I don't vote because I dont want to invite politics into my life. The only things I really care about are soil, fast internet, quietness and I guess diversity would be nice. but I can forfeit diversity in the pursuit of perfect freedom, independent from the stir of a nonsensical society.

politics is all about making choices out of confusion. I want to get out of that whole cycle of making choices under pressure and under confusion. Thats why I want to live in an isolated town for a year and connect to things that have nothing to do with the confusion of society...like land and trees, and the quietness of an evening. I think this is the right time to do something like this. In a year I'll consider moving to a place that has more things going on, or more diversity. I don't have a car, but with a town so small it may be easy to make friends that have cars.

chapter 2: the end of an era

the big question is should I move to morris or should I go back east to the cities and stay with family for a while? I'll let the forum decide my fate.
Why do you want dense soil? Do you want soil that is compacted that has less life because it cannot get enough water and oxygen? Do you have an unusual fear of micro-organisms or are you looking for compacted clay soil so you can throw down some clay pots? I'm not following why you want dense soil.

I've spent a lot of time, energy, and money trying to make my soil less dense (I have heavy clay soil on my property). I have succeeded enough that I have a vibrant garden but it is not a simple process. Furthermore, where I live in my city (which is a 36 mile sq city) has a mix of either clay or sandy soil. The specific property matters as far as what type of soil you are getting. So, in other words, there is no guarantee that your desired city has uniform soil conditions.

Do you mean something else or do actually desire dense soil?

Old 10-06-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
Why do you want dense soil? Do you want soil that is compacted that has less life because it cannot get enough water and oxygen? Do you have an unusual fear of micro-organisms or are you looking for compacted clay soil so you can throw down some clay pots? I'm not following why you want dense soil.

I've spent a lot of time, energy, and money trying to make my soil less dense (I have heavy clay soil on my property). I have succeeded enough that I have a vibrant garden but it is not a simple process. Furthermore, where I live in my city (which is a 36 mile sq city) has a mix of either clay or sandy soil. The specific property matters as far as what type of soil you are getting. So, in other words, there is no guarantee that your desired city has uniform soil conditions.

Do you mean something else or do actually desire dense soil?
I actually desire dense soil but not for an obvious reason. I've heard someone say that the earth itself is the largest organism that we can connect to. And that by connecting to this organism through the land and the soil beneath it we can get a mirror to reality and ourselves which is uncommon today and which makes living meaningful or have value. What disrupts that value is when the organism we're most connected to is the media, or something that is really rooted in society or beauracracy...or society and politics.

I also mentioned soil because on wikipedia it says 'the city is surrounded by some of the richest agricultural lands in the country, and agribusiness is important to the local economy.'

But I really do think if the land is dense and full of the potential for life, that quality will be mirrored in its population. I've been thinking about this more and more...exactly why it is that every town has a different feeling. I think a large percentage has to do with the land. Where I used to live before this there was a pretty big lake, and some quality of serenity definitely flowed to the people and everyday life. Now thats a little more obvious than dense soil but I do think the quality of the land dictates the vibe of the place whether or not we're aware of it. Of course you could have rich land but you live near a highway so you are being dictated by the sound of traffic.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:15 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_circle decimal View Post
I actually desire dense soil but not for an obvious reason. I've heard someone say that the earth itself is the largest organism that we can connect to. And that by connecting to this organism through the land and the soil beneath it we can get a mirror to reality and ourselves which is uncommon today and which makes living meaningful or have value. What disrupts that value is when the organism we're most connected to is the media, or something that is really rooted in society or beauracracy...or society and politics.

I also mentioned soil because on wikipedia it says 'the city is surrounded by some of the richest agricultural lands in the country, and agribusiness is important to the local economy.'

But I really do think if the land is dense and full of the potential for life, that quality will be mirrored in its population. I've been thinking about this more and more...exactly why it is that every town has a different feeling. I think a large percentage has to do with the land. Where I used to live before this there was a pretty big lake, and some quality of serenity definitely flowed to the people and everyday life. Now thats a little more obvious than dense soil but I do think the quality of the land dictates the vibe of the place whether or not we're aware of it. Of course you could have rich land but you live near a highway so you are being dictated by the sound of traffic.

you sound a bit lost...to be bluntly honest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota