Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 05:03 AM

588 posts, read 562,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
We've seen many strains of influenza over the centuries. We know how influenza acts, and we have vaccines. SARS wasn't a pandemic. The fact that you think these are comparable to the current global health crisis is very revealing in how little informed a vast majority of the public is.

SARS-CoV-2 is brand new and it's killing people in ways that are baffling medical professionals. We still know very little about Covid-19 disease while it infects millions of people around the world.

It was a pandemic,

https://www.biospace.com/article/com...d-19-pandemic/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3329048/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ic%3f_amp=true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 11:59 AM

202 posts, read 429,269 times
jennifat has left the chat

Old 06-04-2020, 07:19 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I've lived through the pandemics of Asian Flu, Hong Kong Flu, Swine Flu, and Tuberculosis. In all cases they isolated the ill, not the well.

Also the epidemics of Scarlet Fever, Polio and Hard Measles. In 1964 I was confined for nearly three weeks and my temperature spiked at one-hundred and six degrees. They continued to have school with many of us missing. No one today thinks of those as dangerous but they were killers in those days before they were understood.

So I have had life experience with widespread disease. But in no case in seven decades have I heard of killing the community to prevent disease spread.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:58 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,052 times
Of the COVID-19 deaths in Minnesota, 81% of them occurred in nursing homes or long term care facilities. The governor did a poor job of protecting the vulnerable old people in those facilities. At the same time, many of those COVID-19 deaths might actually be another cause of death, but labeled COVID-19 for the funding or for political reasons to make the COVID-19 problem look worse.

The governor also sat on his hands and did little to nothing for the first three nights of rioting, arson, and looting. The governor also quickly blamed the semi truck driver in the I-35 incident, when it was really the State of Minnesota that was to blame for not verifying that the freeway was actually closed to all traffic, before allowing a couple thousand demonstrators walk on a freeway bridge. Now, the governor is very silent about that I-35 incident.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:59 PM

542 posts, read 447,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Of the COVID-19 deaths in Minnesota, 81% of them occurred in nursing homes or long term care facilities. The governor did a poor job of protecting the vulnerable old people in those facilities. At the same time, many of those COVID-19 deaths might actually be another cause of death, but labeled COVID-19 for the funding or for political reasons to make the COVID-19 problem look worse.

The governor also sat on his hands and did little to nothing for the first three nights of rioting, arson, and looting. The governor also quickly blamed the semi truck driver in the I-35 incident, when it was really the State of Minnesota that was to blame for not verifying that the freeway was actually closed to all traffic, before allowing a couple thousand demonstrators walk on a freeway bridge. Now, the governor is very silent about that I-35 incident.
This is a load of nonsense. The amount of staff required for servicing people in a nursing home is not trivial. The thought that somehow we could magically isolate these was not possible due to tests and the unfortunate focus on contact vs the air. . The tests then and now are at the level to assure either a false positive or false negative in a quick fashion is less than ideal to be kind. Many of these nursing homes are privately owned so instead should direct your ire at those entities.

The best way to to protect the old people was to block the introduction of the virus and having failed that, was to have accurate and fast tests with aggressive contact tracing. We failed at the national level bc Trump defunded a key obama initiative that dealt with pandemics the how to respond to them (I'll go into more detail next post bc I'm using my phone). The notion that the governor is to blame is not believable.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 06-15-2020 at 09:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: