Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 01:46 PM

527 posts, read 422,204 times

Advertisements

Are there nice, Mayberry-like quiet small towns in Northern Minnesota, with very low crime?
Especially North of Duluth latitude.

I traveled through Northern Minnesota this summer but only had a chance to stop for overnight camping in Chippewa National Forest, South of Bemdji and had very mixed impression from the area as there was something untoward going on in the public campground (speeding car racing through and strange people showed up in the middle of the night). I see that Bemidji has ver high property crime, Virginia got higher than average crime too...may be this explains what I saw in the campground, some local criminal element... The situation in the campground left very bad taste and made me wonder about safety in the area, even though small towns I went through looked nice (I drove in through Fargo and exited MN via Duluth).

Are there nice very safe mayberrish towns out there or one has to look for this in Central or Southern Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 04:22 PM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Ely and or Grand Marais.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Maybe International Falls. That's as far north as you can get.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Thanks. I heard good things about Ely.
Is there anything closer to bigger cities? I want to be max 1.5 hours from Duluth (or, at least, Fargo).

Old 10-13-2019, 01:32 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
Is this a relocation thread or something else?

Worried about crime in the Minnesota northwoods because you saw a speeding car and some people gathering at night?

Seriously?

Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Thanks. I heard good things about Ely.
Is there anything closer to bigger cities? I want to be max 1.5 hours from Duluth (or, at least, Fargo).
Ely is a neat town but check the cost of living. It's a destination and those are expensive usually.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:41 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Grand Rapids
Two Harbors
Silver Bay
Grand Marais

Note that the Hibbing/Chisolm/Virginia area is known as the iron range. There is some great natural beauty there......but also some semblance of a Rust Belt as well.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Is this a relocation thread or something else?

Worried about crime in the Minnesota northwoods because you saw a speeding car and some people gathering at night?

Seriously?
Yes.

I extensively traveled (camped) around entire US and had not seen such in National Forest campgrounds. Perhaps in New Mexico, which is notorious for poor safety.
You should travel some.
If you think a shady-looking car speeding at racing speeds through public campground in National Forest is normal and safe (it can actually kill people or pets) or car driving up to your campsite in near-empty campground at 2am and running headlights at your tent and not leaving is normal, I have no comment.
You should abstain from personal attacks, really.

Last edited by opossum1; 10-14-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Ely is a neat town but check the cost of living. It's a destination and those are expensive usually.
I see. Not only it's a destination but it's remote, also.
Real estate seems to be within my price range, but I guess food would be very expensive there, just like a lot of other goods one can buy locally. Delivery from Duluth or Virginia should cost too, or gas driving out there....and I wonder about availability of tradespeople: sometimes there're none in remote small towns or very hard to get anyone to do work on a house. I considered one small town in a different region but the closest building inspector was 3 hour drive away and priced accordingly, kind of a preview of upcoming costs for any work to be one on the house. That's why I'm really aiming for 1.5 hr max from big city such as Duluth/Fargo.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Grand Rapids
Two Harbors
Silver Bay
Grand Marais

Note that the Hibbing/Chisolm/Virginia area is known as the iron range. There is some great natural beauty there......but also some semblance of a Rust Belt as well.
Rust Belt, I see...yep, I got that feeling already.
I haven't considered being close to Lake Superior earlier, but I guess should look into being close to the coast. Probably less mosquitoes there too (not sure).
I'll drive around entire region this time, not just cutting through like this summer. I, generally, had nice impression from the whole area, from Fargo to Duluth, but the situation in the campground made me wander about criminal element (I had to call the sheriff from the camp at 2am actually, which I never had to do in any other places in the whole USA and they told me to stay in my locked car, not in my tent, based on the situation), there were also many fireworks going off in the forest way past quiet hours (and it wasn't even a holiday), another thing you don't really experience in the National Forests anywhere. The cop told me basically that is was locals messing around probably using drugs and he felt it was happening there a lot, not a singular occurrence. It was past Walker - the own itself made a very nice impression on me (and it's a ver low crime town according to stats), but what I had seen next made me wonder.

Last edited by opossum1; 10-14-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota